Menu

Which math program has clean pages...

Mommyfaithe

Without a million problems on each page.

Ds get overwhelmed too quickly...and does not need tons of repetitious work. He gets it!! I want him to do SOME practice, but not ad nauseum or to the point of tears. I tried crossing stuff off, but that doesn't work...he still sees them.

Any ideas??

I have been writing him out worksheets myself, but that is getting old quick!

ETA: this is for grade 3/4

MUS... if a child understands well, he/she can do only 2 of the 3 "new" concept sheets in the lesson.  You could also have him/her do only 2 of the review sheets.  MUS works great for my kiddos who need more white space on the page!

IMO Math Mammoth has a lot of problems.  You can assign only some of them, but there are a lot of problems on a page.  It wasn't good for my child who NEEDS white pages!

MUS has by far the fewest problems per page of all the math programs I have seen.  Many math programs put an excessive number of problems in each set/on each page in order to provide the teacher with the option of only assigning part of the problems, leaving the other part for extra practice if needed.  MUS does not do this; if the student needs more practice the teacher can assign another worksheet or print off worksheets from the website for that lesson (disclaimer: sometimes the worksheets from the worksheet generator have a lot of problems on the page, this is when a pair of scissors comes in handy).  Check out the lesson samples on the website, they are representative of what you will get in the workbook.

Mastering Mathematics

Not sure if it is what you want as it is a 6 year program broke down into smaller sections and includes games, etc.The wkbks  are not cluttered and don't have pics. Each book focuses on 1 concept +,-.x,/,decimals, fractions, but includes extra guidance for other things such as measuring, time telling, conversions, metrics, etc, and word problems with a Biblical flair. Child moves at his/her own pace. 

We have used MUS, MM and CLE.  While MUS has the least number of problems per page I also found it the least challenging of the three.  So I think it will depend on the child and your goals for him.  Regardless MUS can be supplemented with extra problems from other sources for added challenge like SM CWP, etc...  That may be a good way to go if he is easily frustrated visually from page overload.

Something also to keep in mind is that while CLE is spiral MM & MUS are mastery based.  That is something to consider as you look at other programs.  

We've liked BJU 3 & 4 for this. They have a front/back set-up so I've found if I teach anything needed on the front, I can flip it over to the back and assign all or some problems. Grade 3 was perfect. Grade 4, the font is smaller and the review exercises are on a separate page, but it still works for our purposes. My son prefers a little color and always knows exactly how many pages will be part of the lesson. Singapore was too unpredictable, sometimes the lesson went for 2 pages, sometimes 4, it stressed him out. MUS had too *little* variety for him. :)

Math in Focus is a full color, but very clear and uncluttered, text with a workbook in black and white.

There is great use of white space and number of problems per page. It has just enough practice for many, and it's easy to eliminate even more if a child just gets it.

I have a child who is easily visually distracted and overwhelmed with a large number of problems, like Math Mammoth, even if I eliminate many.

Math in Focus has been fantastic for him. There are free samples of the whole curriculum on the publisher's website. I showed my son several options, and he absolutely preferred the look of Math in Focus.

It's a Singapore based program, so would come from that perspective.

Also a big fan of MiF. I've only used K and 1 so far, but it's worked beautifully for both of my school-aged kiddos, including my highly distractable DS 6 who has vision/tracking problems and really needs clean pages. He loves the colored textbook, but his artistic/creative side also really appreciates using erasable colored pencils to complete the b&w workbook pages. And the Singapore approach has been really stretching and helping him mathematically (compared to the Saxon K program he did last year, which left some things to be desired IMO.)

CLE, it is also black and white which was a HUGE relief for my son. He found the color too much and distracting.  We had used MUS, but it was so boring and was mastery based, which meant we kept forgetting everything we learned. CLE is spiral so he is constantly doing review to keep those skills up. When he started CLE after a few weeks he came over and gave me a huge hug and told me he loved it. First time he'd ever said anything about loving math, plus the books are broken down smaller. He just finished a book and was so excited to be done with a book because we have struggled so much :)

Another vote for MUS. :) Plus, if your child does get it, MUS makes it easy for him to move on. You don't have to do all the pages. We've spent everywhere from 2 years in one book to less than half a year in a book. What matters is what the child understands, not how many problems or pages or lessons there are.

I love MUS.