Menu

Getting ahead of myself?

Mrs.Mom

I have really no desire to have him go to college early. That isn't what I was saying. What I'm saying is, hmm, it has dawned on me that we are ahead of schedule... how does that impact the high school requirement courses? His eyes are not set on high school - he wants to get to college so he can actually learn what he loves at a higher level and begin making a career out of it. We have not been able to find things that allow him to advance beyond his skills in these areas - most things are for high school kids and up. He is eager to get to college. That is different than ME being eager to get him into college. ;)

I haven't read every response on this thread yet, but I just wanted to throw something out there gently. Sometimes, when kids are gifted, they can lose the forest for the trees so to speak. What I mean by that is, sometimes the goal of achievement is like a drug... Much more so than the learning. The ability to bypass the norm and ACHIEVE highly is a big part of what drives them, much more so than the content or the skills. Your child may or may not fit this description but I bring it up not in a judgey way but because I was one of those kids. In my old age, lol, I can see where that instinct unchecked probably hindered me from utilizing some opportunities that may not have been as concrete as 'graduate early.' I did graduate early and was out of the house ASAP just like one of the pp's on this thread and I agree - staying in regular high school would have sucked the life out of me. But, that was because high school wasn't challenging and home... Well, home was a place I needed to get far, far away from. (I was very motivated;-). Your son, thank goodness, doesn't fit that category, from what I can tell. He has a supportive family. Giving him these years to really dig deep and excel - not by comparing himself to his ps peers - but by pushing the envelope with what he can do with his education, may give him a valuable perspective on his own giftedness.

If it seems like he is just trying to collect courses or get ahead because it is a notch on the wall (and when I say that, remember, I am not criticizing, there is nothing wrong with having goals) it may be worthwhile to work with him on realizing that his output (rather than just intake) is the goal... His ability to contribute to society, his ability to listen as well as talk, to take research and DO something with it. Especially for internally driven, gifted kids, there is a certain high that can come from hitting that next goal. And, there is always the trap of thinking that because they can understand and process things, that they have mastered them. I can keep a lot in my head and learn really quickly, but all of that is just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to being an individual with character who puts that knowledge to work in a meaningful way.

The trick is to be able to 1) take your skill or knowledge and apply it in a useful way in the real world and, at the same time, 2) be able to separate your self-worth from your achievements.

Number two is really important for that type of child as well. When you excel at pretty much everything quickly, there is the danger of thinking that you are either better than everyone else or that, without your achievements, you are irrelevant. Teaching him to hold those things in balance will be your challenge for his high school years, lol.

Clear as mud? (And for the record, I know that there are heaps of people plenty smarter than I, so please take this fwiw. I just wanted to articulate some of the issues as I see them from my pool of experience.). Good luck!

If it seems like he is just trying to collect courses or get ahead because it is a notch on the wall (and when I say that, remember, I am not criticizing, there is nothing wrong with having goals) it may be worthwhile to work with him on realizing that his output (rather than just intake) is the goal... His ability to contribute to society, his ability to listen as well as talk, to take research and DO something with it. Especially for internally driven, gifted kids, there is a certain high that can come from hitting that next goal. And, there is always the trap of thinking that because they can understand and process things, that they have mastered them. I can keep a lot in my head and learn really quickly, but all of that is just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to being an individual with character who puts that knowledge to work in a meaningful way.

The trick is to be able to 1) take your skill or knowledge and apply it in a useful way in the real world and, at the same time, 2) be able to separate your self-worth from your achievements.

Number two is really important for that type of child as well. When you excel at pretty much everything quickly, there is the danger of thinking that you are either better than everyone else or that, without your achievements, you are irrelevant. Teaching him to hold those things in balance will be your challenge for his high school years, lol.

I totally agree. Plus, what will happen if suddenly the student becomes disenchanted with the goal? Or if the goal, for whatever reason, becomes unattainable?

I DE/accelerated early. It seemed the best option at the time. But now, in hindsight, I see how that has actually hampered my ultimate goals from being realized.

^ That's just a general statement.

Oh no, not at all. In fact, the commentary made me chuckle. It's hard to get to know kids through this medium, but if you met him, you'd see it's a genuine desire to learn the craft. He is seeking out a teacher with a humble heart. He knows college is where you learn...he toured the department and met the faculty. He is just eager. Kids he hangs out with don't have the same interest level. He may not have the maturity to know the reality of these things (adulthood), but I do.

I was the same way as a child. I knew exactly what I wanted, and began pursuing my passion when I was 8. :) I get what you are saying but this isn't achievement-based...just general enthusiasm and a passionate personality. He was the same way learning to walk, learning to read and pretty much everything else he has ever wanted to learn. It's exhausting...but I get it because I'm the exact same way. ;) OCD plays into it, I'm sure!

Hi Mrs. Mom,

We're not any further along so no voice of experience here, but I'll offer another pathway. We are choosing to have the public school district keep high school transcripts. Our area will pay for two years of dual enrollment for high school/college, not something we want to miss out on. Mostly folks use CCs, but there are participating Us. So after a couple of years of considering, we opted to have the kids do the required seat time that allows them to get grades and the hs transcript. The plan is to have the requirements spaced out to show growth. This year my older kids are bored in a district algebra class, but it means that for the next two years they will do whatever they want in math. Next year I will probably have them do seat time in an English or Science hs class. Basically it is stepping in and out of the system to have an end result of all subjects, spaced out but showing that despite the early start the pace is a normal one for them. If all goes well there will be four years of math that may look like: Alg 1, clac, (Hs seat time) diff eq, topology (dual enroll seat time). Whatever. The hope is that with thoughtful spacing we will have records consolidated, the growth curve evident and still get two years of dual enrollment out of it. All of this backed by standardized testing of course. This is not necessary to still do dual enrollment and I could keep my own records, but for us it is much easier and for local friends who we have watched go through the process it has been much easier.

The part that we're still figuring out is how to access the appropriate courses above hs level and have them accepted on the hs tx. That's where taking advantage of dual enrollment comes in, but so far I don't think I can access it for kids this young, hence the spacing and accumulation of various subjects over time. I find it uncomfortable to talk about my kids even with the many amazing youngsters here. For reference, my 9 yo is self teaching calc, just aced his first test, has rep to audition for conservatory and is tested PG, among other capabilities, my 11 yo was approved to take hs biology with lab over a year ago after a trial class, currently is in a hs writing class as well as the Alg, and we're too cheap to test without a good reason though he's probably around that higher log mark too.

I guess I just wanted to offer a hug and admission that it often does feel like bush whacking. This is our chosen path, though we reserve the right to completely change direction tomorrow.

I really, really appreciate this forum and the willingness of folks to share, so there's our way.

I think CB's PR is based on $$.

Yes, I agree 100%. I've attended trainings where College Board CLEP representatives suggested that CLEP tests were a more rigorous standard than APs or SAT IIs. There is really no way a person who understands the tests could actually believe that to be true but CLEP is an emerging market. Lots of tests and they know it is a different market than AP or SAT II testers. CLEPs are all multiple choice which is a lot easier to bluff than the writing that is required for most APs. Really if you are a good tester you may find you can pass several CLEPs just from general knowledge and the ability to eliminate illogical and grammatically inconsistent answers. APs really require more test content knowledge to do well.

CLEPs are not worth anything for admissions purposes. Any school that tells you CLEPs will help admissions is a school that you probably don't need help with admissions. That said, CLEPs can serve a purpose and they can be a good way to earn some credits at schools that accept them. I'm helping a homeschool mom who is trying to transition to career and CLEPs are part of the strategy to get that degree finished fast. It really depends on your situation if CLEPs will be helpful.

I haven't read every response on this thread yet, but I just wanted to throw something out there gently. Sometimes, when kids are gifted, they can lose the forest for the trees so to speak. What I mean by that is, sometimes the goal of achievement is like a drug... Much more so than the learning. The ability to bypass the norm and ACHIEVE highly is a big part of what drives them, much more so than the content or the skills. Your child may or may not fit this description but I bring it up not in a judgey way but because I was one of those kids. In my old age, lol, I can see where that instinct unchecked probably hindered me from utilizing some opportunities that may not have been as concrete as 'graduate early.' I did graduate early and was out of the house ASAP just like one of the pp's on this thread and I agree - staying in regular high school would have sucked the life out of me. But, that was because high school wasn't challenging and home... Well, home was a place I needed to get far, far away from. (I was very motivated;-). Your son, thank goodness, doesn't fit that category, from what I can tell. He has a supportive family. Giving him these years to really dig deep and excel - not by comparing himself to his ps peers - but by pushing the envelope with what he can do with his education, may give him a valuable perspective on his own giftedness.

Clear as mud? (And for the record, I know that there are heaps of people plenty smarter than I, so please take this fwiw. I just wanted to articulate some of the issues as I see them from my pool of experience.). Good luck!

This is an interesting perspective- thank you for taking the time to write this!

For my DD, her desire to grade-skip and start HS early stems mostly from my telling her that she will have a lot more autonomy to pick her college coursework. She will get to choose her major and at most schools, the general ed requirements are fairly broad (e.g. one STEM course, one literature course, one social science course, etc.) She resents that for high school, there is a lot less freedom if she wants to be eligible for admission to the UC schools. She wants to get high school over with ASAP so that she can study what she wants and pretty much only what she wants.

I have to say that I sympathize with her feelings.

This is an interesting perspective- thank you for taking the time to write this!

For my DD, her desire to grade-skip and start HS early stems mostly from my telling her that she will have a lot more autonomy to pick her college coursework. She will get to choose her major and at most schools, the general ed requirements are fairly broad (e.g. one STEM course, one literature course, one social science course, etc.) She resents that for high school, there is a lot less freedom if she wants to be eligible for admission to the UC schools. She wants to get high school over with ASAP so that she can study what she wants and pretty much only what she wants.

I have to say that I sympathize with her feelings.

I do, too. It's a similar thing with my son. I think some kids are just eager to reach adulthood - at least, on some level. And this is consistent with my son across the board. I mean, he has always been very autonomous. Sometimes I have felt a little negligent in his upbringing because he has always done so much for himself. I just feel like a guide or a person to give the boost as he is climbing over the fence, ya know? My younger son is not this way. He is happy to be where he is, when he is there. Not in a rush; not behind. Just happy and content.

My oldest - the one we are talking about in this thread - has never been content to just be where he is. He always has ideas or projects or something he is working toward. But they are his own goals. If I set a goal for him......... we may never reach it. In fact, we struggle. But when they are his goals, nothing can stop him. :)

As a side note, I'm so excited! We toured the local university film dept a few months back so ds could see what a real university film dept looked like. I wanted him to have a realistic idea of the required courses and classroom settings, etc. Instead of intimidating him, it inspired him! The head of the dept just emailed me today and said we could come sit in on any class he wanted. He sent a course description pdf and said to pick one! My son is looking through the descriptions like it is a menu full of dessert options. ;)

He may not follow this path over the next 8 years... but for now, he is in heaven! And the beauty of film making and computer science is he CAN learn so much, now. And hey, he has a connection now in the film industry... right? ;) The students we have run into have been incredibly supportive. I was afraid they may be snarky toward him. In fact, one of the girls chatted with him and said, "Wow! I wish I had started that young!" So encouraging and very cute. :)

In case anyone is interested in listening to a webinar on college admissions, here is one by College Confidential.   In full disclosure, I didn't listen to most of it b/c it is mostly info that I already know.   I did fast forward it to the test score part and the only scores mentioned beyond SAT/ACT are APs and subject test.   The most emphasized comments were focused on rigor of coursework.

go.hobsons.com/collegeSOS

• 2 weeks later...

To the OP - I have not read all the responses - but my interest was piqued by this thread because of my career in the film industry, and also that of my husband (multiple Emmy award winner).  So - here's my take.  If your son really wants a career in the film industry, it is important for him to have two things: 1)  access/relationships, and 2) low debt.  My path was big state school for BA (IU- Bloomingon), majored in Comparative Lit - was top student (4.0) in college, won many prizes, scholarships.  Then I went to USC for my MFA (where I met my husband).  I worked in the film industry for awhile - then went to law school at Berkeley, where I was also top of class and got a job at a big firm practicing entertainment law.  My husband is on the creative side, and still works in the industry - while I stay home and homeschool our three young children.

My viewpoint is a little different, I guess, bc of what I see on the ground here and what it takes to make it in this industry.  It is great to get a degree in film - but more important is having connections/access.  If this were my child, I would look at having him graduate school (bachelor's) with as little debt as possible and with hard skills in various disciplines - everyone wants to be a director, but it's easier to pay the bills at first being an assistant editor - which you can only do if you know avid, final cut, etc.

I think it's fine to go to state school - just get the grades so that future options are open - like the opportunity to go to grad school.  Going to USC for my MFA in cinema opened up so many doors...there is a great network there.  The number one benefit of a film school is the alumni connections - if you go to a school with a great program and you learn a lot- that's great...but if there's no alumni community, then it is difficult to get a job in a very competitive market.

As for me - I pulled my eldest out of PS this year to homeschool.  She 7 and is doing middle and high school work - there was no other choice (for us) ultimately than to homeschool (we tried many different options for her very accelerated learning).

If she were one day to want to go into the film industry, I would have her get a low cost degree from a reputable university - here in CA we have the UC and CSU system- both fine... then intern/shadow, and possibly go to grad school for film (there are only a few schools I would recommend for that) - or start working a day job to make money while pursuing her own creative interests on the side.

In the meantime, before college - there are many options for children who wish to pursue film...to develop their creativity and craft in a low-cost and low-pressure manner.  This can help determine if this is a passing phase or something someone wants to pursue for a career.  It is a very difficult career path - and so I think only people who are extremely driven, patient, and...well, a few other things...will ultimately stick with it.  

Just my two cents...

To the OP - I have not read all the responses - but my interest was piqued by this thread because of my career in the film industry, and also that of my husband (multiple Emmy award winner).  So - here's my take.  If your son really wants a career in the film industry, it is important for him to have two things: 1)  access/relationships, and 2) low debt.  My path was big state school for BA, majored in Comparative Lit - was top student (4.0) in college, won many prizes, scholarships.  Then I went to USC for my MFA (where I met my husband).  I worked in the film industry for awhile - then went to law school at Berkeley, where I was also top of class and got a job at a big firm doing entertainment law.  My husband is on the creative side, and still works in the industry - while I stay home and homeschool our three young children.

My viewpoint is a little different, I guess, bc of what I see on the ground here and what it takes to make it in this industry.  It is great to get a degree in film - but more important is having connections/access.  If this were my child, I would look at having him graduate school with as little debt as possible and with hard skills in various disciplines - everyone wants to be a director, but it's easier to pay the bills at first being an assistant editor - which you can only do if you know avid, final cut, etc.

I think it's fine to go to state school - just get the grades so that future options are open - like the opportunity to go to grad school.  Going to USC for my MFA in cinema opened up so many doors...there is a great network there.  The number one benefit of a film school is the alumni connections - if you go to a school with a great program and you learn a lot- that's great...but if there's no alumni community, then it is difficult to get a job in a very competitive market.

As for me - I pulled my eldest out of PS this year to homeschool.  She 7 and is doing middle and high school work - there was no other choice (for us) ultimately than to homeschool (we tried many different options for her very accelerated learning).

If she were one day to want to go into the film industry, I would have her get a low cost degree (BA) - then intern/shadow, and possibly go to grad school for film (there are only a few schools I would recommend for that) - or start working a day job to make money while pursuing her own creative interests on the side.

In the meantime, before college - there are many options for children who wish to pursue film...to develop their creativity and craft in a low-cost and low-pressure manner.  This can help determine if this is a passing phase or something someone wants to pursue for a career.  It is a very difficult career path - and so I think only people who are extremely driven, patient, and...well, a few other things...will ultimately stick with it.  

Just my two cents...

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your insight with me! I really appreciate that. I will keep your wisdom in my head as we roll through the next few years.

My son visited the local university film department a few months back and received an invitation to sit in on a course. After shopping through the "Intro to Film Production" syllabus, he chose to attend this upcoming Monday to learn about lightning. He is over the moon excited!

He may or may not stick with this passion - but I think this experience is going to be one of those moments in his life that he always remembers. :)

That's great!  I think that getting to know the technical aspects (production, lighting) is a great idea!  Sounds like he has a great advocate in you - he is very lucky!!! :-)  Who knows what the future will hold - this gives him a jumping off point and a chance to get his feet wet, so to speak...

Also - not to get ahead of myself - but...one thing I might have thought more about before I went to film school and married someone in the industry is how confining geographically the film industry (usually) is.  For most people to have a career in what we think of as the mainstream industry, you have to be  willing to live in Los Angeles, NYC, or Vancouver-- I live in Los Angeles - and our contact base is here.  I have had some friends achieve incredible success in this industry, and others falter greatly or leave it entirely after years of frustration and thwarted dreams.  The telling thing has not been their undergrads (some of the ones with the least success have undergrads from Harvard, Stanford, etc.) - and then some of the ones who have been the most have started out with very humble undergrads - but have incredible work ethic and grit.  Anyway - my laptop is about to run out of batteries - so I just wanted to say that a career in the film industry usually means sacrifices geographically - i wish I could move back to the Midwest, but even after almost 20 years in the industry, it would be hard for us to make that move bc all the work is here in Los Angeles...

• 2 weeks later...

Just a final follow-up. My son got to attend the class on Monday (they were covering lighting) and he spent 3 hours in heaven listening first to lecture, then hanging out with a team of students who absolutely embraced him. They used him as the lighting subject and had a great time. They even showed my son some of their editing techniques and pretended to model/goofed around. ;)

He already wanted to go to college... but now he can hardly wait. Sheesh!! So thankful it was a good experience for him. :)