Menu

Essentials program and dyslexia

mhaddon

I know that Andrew Pudwah has a dyslexic son and he's done well with IEW, but I'm trying to decide if I will enroll my son in Essentials next year. He is 8 years old and will be 9. He is still reversing some letters no matter how much we go back over and is almost a perfectionist in that he will not write anything if he knows it's incorrect (spelling wise). It's a huge hurdle for us. He knows verbally grammar rules pretty well, but reading is still a struggle for him. He is reading Clifford books pretty well on his own and a lot of the Frog and Toad type books. He will read Gerinomo stilton if I am with him to help. I'm on the fence because I don't want him to struggle, but I feel at this pont if we don't start somewhere we will be in the same place forever! Do you think I can work at his pace because we will go over the material more than one year and add onto it each time?

Honestly, I'd work on reading and spelling more and not do a formal writing program yet. When he can easily spell 1000 common words, writing will come much easier. Right now, while he's still working on basic reading skills, words or short sentences that he doesn't have to think up for himself are about all I'd do, other than informal things like thank you notes and so on. 

ETA, do you mean CC Essentials? I was thinking the writing program, sorry!

My child is in CC Essentials now. The rule of thumb is that the reading level of the source material (this is the book in use this school year: http://iew.com/shop/products/medieval-history-based-writing-lessons-teacherstudent-combo-clearance) should be below your child's reading level.  The grammar portion of the program would require that he be able to read the words of the sample sentences so that he can label their parts of speech/usage in the sentence and diagram them. The math games are all oral and do not require reading.  Hopefully based on that you can decide whether it would be a fit for him.

My child is in CC Essentials now. The rule of thumb is that the reading level of the source material (this is the book in use this school year: http://iew.com/shop/products/medieval-history-based-writing-lessons-teacherstudent-combo-clearance) should be below your child's reading level.  The grammar portion of the program would require that he be able to read the words of the sample sentences so that he can label their parts of speech/usage in the sentence and diagram them. The math games are all oral and do not require reading.  Hopefully based on that you can decide whether it would be a fit for him.

Thank you! I will be at convention in March so I will pick up the book for next year and see closer to the start of the semester if he is reading it well before comitting. I know we will do foundations, but I'm trying to see if it is worth the extra money, I hate to hold him back too long or rush him ahead too fast :)

Regardless of the dyslexia.....  is he going to be 3rd grade in the fall?  I would wait until 4th.  For one reason, if you stay with CC and you put him in Essentials as a 3rd grader, then his 6th grade year will be a repeat of the American History theme based writing book.  I would use 3rd grade to firm up foundational language arts skills, and if he's ready for more, maybe explore other approaches to writing before IEW.