Menu

Suggestions on Latin for 8 year old?

Miranda

Have you done a search of the board? There are quite a few Latin programs out there, although, for an 8yo the two that come to mind are Getting Started With Latin (GSWL) and Song School Latin (SSL). We've been using GSWL this year with my soon to be 9yos. It is a nice, gentle introduction. I like the way it introduces one new thing in each lesson. We do a fair bit of it orally. I also tie it into our Spanish studies.

I'm no Latin expert, so you may be able to turn up other options with a search.

Good luck!

My 8yo uses Latin for Children from Classical Academic Press. Level A of this course was *my* first Latin course. My now 8th and 9th graders used it many moons ago, and the materials were good enough for me to learn it right along with them. The one time we were all truly stuck we used the "Ask the Magister" button on their website and got an answer from the author of the series within two days.

There are so many choices out there, but I like Prima Latina from Memoria press with the accompanying DVD's. These are so helpful for the mom if she has never had or taught Latin.

I am using a phone and can't find the agree smiley, but I agree with this...Prima Latina with the DVDs is a good place to start for an 8 year old...It teaches both of you, has a clear plan each week, and progresses nicely...

We also used Latin for Children (LFC).  My now 10 yo dd is finishing up LFC C and I was able to learn right along with her.  It aligns very well with FLL grammar.  I think it is a tough program and we have slowed it down here and there over the last three years.  But I do think it is a very solid beginning.

My son loved Lively Latin at that age.  And just as an aside, MCT's Grammar and Sentence Island meshed extremely well with it.

For you, I'd recommend a quick run through Getting Started with Latin before starting whatever program you end up choosing.

There are so many choices out there, but I like Prima Latina from Memoria press with the accompanying DVD's. These are so helpful for the mom if she has never had or taught Latin.

That is what we used for our first year. We did Latina Christiana 1 next with DVDs

Our third year we are using first form Latin with DVDs