Menu

Help! I need glue that doesn't make me nuts

I know it's a weird question, but...can anyone recommend a glue/brand/type that will work reliably for simple paper-on-paper gluing?  I'm so tired of using glue sticks only to come back to it a week later and find the stuff falling off the page!  I can prevent this happening, but only if I absolutely slather the stuff on in the first place.  Maybe it's the brand I'm using, or maybe there's a better glue option than glue sticks.  Anyone have something they swear by?

Thank you!

I was going to ask this exact same questions. Glue sticks don't stick well. White glue is so hard for my son to squeeze and spread. Frankly I have a hard time squeezing it.

When I was a kid, glue came in these 2 easy forms. Clag glue would come in a little bottle with a brush inside. And clear gum had a slanted tip which gets puncture and you just run that over the project. I haven't found anything comparable in the US.

http://officeprinting.com.au/oscommerce/popup_image.php?pID=7367

Glue sticks drive me crazy for the same reasons - they never stick unless you slather it on so thick it takes forever to dry.

We switched to my favorite preschool style:  a small puddle of white glue in an old shallow container.  Child spreads the glue using a small paintbrush (or a big one, depending on what's being attached).  It's still a bit messy, but not nearly as bad as when a six year old tries to squeeze glue out of it's original container.  Plus, it helps with fine motor control.

Even my older DD prefers this way, as she can better control where the glue is going.

Glue sticks drive me crazy for the same reasons - they never stick unless you slather it on so thick it takes forever to dry.

We switched to my favorite preschool style: a small puddle of white glue in an old shallow container. Child spreads the glue using a small paintbrush (or a big one, depending on what's being attached). It's still a bit messy, but not nearly as bad as when a six year old tries to squeeze glue out of it's original container. Plus, it helps with fine motor control.

Even my older DD prefers this way, as she can better control where the glue is going.

This is exactly how we do it. I add a little water to thin it.

That is why I like clag glue. It is in a little pot with the brush attached to the lid. The concept is so simple. But works so well.

Discount School Supply has these jars, which could be a "make-your-own" version of clag glue - one for the clear, one for white, one for craft glue, etc. 

I was thinking about getting them for glue and maybe glitter paint, which often has the same consistency. 

These also get good reviews for little hands.  And this similar item at amazon.

Discount School Supply has these jars, which could be a "make-your-own" version of clag glue - one for the clear, one for white, one for craft glue, etc.

I was thinking about getting them for glue and maybe glitter paint, which often has the same consistency.

These also get good reviews for little hands. And this similar item at amazon.

Oooh! Those jars are perfect!

Those glue sticks are other glue sticks that I grew up with too! I completely forgot about them. But I am going to get some now!

Thank you for the help!  Yes, I have fond memories of Clag glue, too.  You couldn't go wrong with that stuff.  I don't remember the "dab" glue sticks, but they look like exactly what I need, so i'm off to get some now, too!  Thank you!!

I second good rubber cement.  I like that you can peel things off with it.  But I have found that decent brands of glue sticks do work.  You do have to use a good bit, but the Scotch/3M ones work fine.  Now, the crayola, Rose Art, Staples brand...  that's another story.

I haven't used them in a while, but glue pens like this were my favorite: http://www.discountschoolsupply.com/Product/ProductDetail.aspx?product=16641

Oh, now this style I *do* remember - and yes, they were good too!  Thank you for the link!

It sounds like I'm going wrong with my glue stick brand... I kinda expected Staples glue to be better than it is.