Menu

Our new cat from the SPCA only lived 12 days... (Update)

East Coast Sue

Our sweet kitty was only with us a few days but we are mourning her loss today.  She seemed quite healthy the first couple of days and the vet gave her a full check up. The very next day she started vomitng and had loose stools. Then, the stools stopped entirely but not the vomiting. She lost her appetite completely. We thought maybe she had a UTI or a blockage- something fixable. Nope, she had surgery which revealed not a blockage but cancerous tumors which were large and invasive throughout her body. She died and we are heartbroken for the kitty we just fell in love with as our very first family pet.

Update:

The kids are taking it as well as can be expected. They had wanted a pet for a very long time. Most rescue societies would not approve our application because we had never had a pet. They all require a "history" with a pet. So, we went through the SPCA which didn't have many requirements and we were approved. Our cat, Marcy, was truly a perfect cat. She was outgoing and friendly but not aggressive. She was hugged and kissed and brushed and loved by all four kids and she purred a lot. It was obvious when she became suddenly ill that she was sleepy and less interested in (but still tolerated) the loving affection of the kids.  We all miss her so much even though we had her such a short time. Losing a pet does leave a hole in your heart. Marcy left us with the "history" of being pet owners and our vet said she would write a very positive note for us to be considered again for a pet when we are ready.

Hugs to all those who have also lost a pet. Thank you for sharing your stories. It really helps to comfort me and remind me that I am not alone in my sorrow.

So sorry for your loss.

Almost the same thing happened to us. Last Christmas, we got our daughter her first cat from the local humane society. We took her in for her first checkup and had put her down 3 days later. It was awful. We did end up getting another cat pretty quickly and we love her. But there's a scar.

Sorry for your loss.  if you want another kitty they might be able to work with you since this was obviously a pre-existing condition.

We had something like that this spring.  We paid way too much for our special needs daughter a trail horse and 48 hours later we had to put him down.

Oh Sue, I am so sorry. 

The same thing happened with our Frodo a few years back, died in 3 months after adopting him.  But he'd lived his whole life in the shelter so I was so grateful we gave him the best 3 months of his life.  You and your family did the same, 12 days is such an awfully short time, but the sweet baby was loved to the fullest in those days. 

:grouphug: :grouphug:

:grouphug:

We had a similar issue with a dog we adopted.  They made us leave him at the shelter until he could be fixed (we put a deposit on him the day he was surrendered) and in that time either at the shelter or the place they take them to be fixed he picked up parvo.  We brought him home the same day he was fixed and he wasn't acting right (threw up in the car and refusing to eat).  We called the post surgery # and they said just to keep an eye out for infection and keep him hydrated the best we could and that he would probably perk up the next day.  He was covered in vomit and diarrhea the next morning.  When we took him to the vet, parvo was confirmed and he was put down.  We had visited with the little fellow a couple of times during the week he was held at the shelter so we had thoroughly taken him into our heart.

Oh Sue, I am so sorry. 

The same thing happened with our Frodo a few years back, died in 3 months after adopting him.  But he'd lived his whole life in the shelter so I was so grateful we gave him the best 3 months of his life.  You and your family did the same, 12 days is such an awfully short time, but the sweet baby was loved to the fullest in those days. 

:grouphug: :grouphug:

:iagree: That's what we thought too. We are so glad we could give love and a home to Toffee in the last few days of her life.

How heartbreaking.

I'm so sorry.   :grouphug:

I hope the shelter will work with you, so that when you are ready for another kitty, they will have one waiting for you - and without the expense.  It doesn't have to be today or tomorrow, but when you are ready it might help fill the hole.  

We had something similar happen when I was a child.  We adopted 2 kitties, and within days one of them was clearly ill.  My parents spent a fortune trying to save her, and we spent a lot of emotional energy on it.  She lived about 2 weeks.  It was so, so sad, and I still remember it all so clearly.  Having another kitty helped a bit, but honestly - it was hard, as a child.  Sending some extra hugs and warm thoughts to your kiddo(s)!

:(  I'm so sorry. 

We just adopted a shelter cat whose age is listed as 7, but we are her third family so her history is really not well known.  I wonder how old she really is.

We adopted a "5 year old" cat many years ago.  When we took her for her first vet check-up the vet said there was no chance she was a day less than 10 years old:(  She was an awesome cat and we would have adopted her anyway, but I still feel like the shelter was dishonest.  The vet said it was common practice for older cats.  She had a very happy senior citizen life in our house and I don't regret getting her but we had to say goodbye far earlier than we thought we would.  

We adopted a "5 year old" cat many years ago.  When we took her for her first vet check-up the vet said there was no chance she was a day less than 10 years old:(  She was an awesome cat and we would have adopted her anyway, but I still feel like the shelter was dishonest.  The vet said it was common practice for older cats.  She had a very happy senior citizen life in our house and I don't regret getting her but we had to say goodbye far earlier than we thought we would.  

I doubt the shelter was intentionally dishonest.  Despite what many people believe, it's pretty hard to accurately pinpoint the age of an adult dog or cat.  The young ones are fairly easy, as are the very elderly (a 10 yo cat isn't really elderly IMO).  But anything in between is pretty much total guess work.  I've seen rescue dogs and cats examined by different vets who gave vastly different age estimates.  And there's no dishonest intent.  It's just a guessing game.

I doubt the shelter was intentionally dishonest.  Despite what many people believe, it's pretty hard to accurately pinpoint the age of an adult dog or cat.  The young ones are fairly easy, as are the very elderly (a 10 yo cat isn't really elderly IMO).  But anything in between is pretty much total guess work.  I've seen rescue dogs and cats examined by different vets who gave vastly different age estimates.  And there's no dishonest intent.  It's just a guessing game.

The cat in question was surrendered by her former owner so it is possible that the former owner gave false information too.  I really want to believe that no shelter anywhere would purposely misrepresent age.  The vet said it was quite obvious.  10 years was a best-case scenario.  He thought probably more like 12-14 years old.  She had arthritis and a lot of trouble grooming herself:(   She only lived for another 5 years and was VERY elderly when she passed.  I am still glad we adopted her.  We had no children, a quiet house, and enough cash to have her seen to regularly.  If we had done the same thing years later with a toddler or a lot of activity, having incorrect information could have made life miserable for her.

The cat in question was surrendered by her former owner so it is possible that the former owner gave false information too.  I really want to believe that no shelter anywhere would purposely misrepresent age.  The vet said it was quite obvious.  10 years was a best-case scenario.  He thought probably more like 12-14 years old.  She had arthritis and a lot of trouble grooming herself:(   She only lived for another 5 years and was VERY elderly when she passed.  I am still glad we adopted her.  We had no children, a quiet house, and enough cash to have her seen to regularly.  If we had done the same thing years later with a toddler or a lot of activity, having incorrect information could have made life miserable for her.

Well, that IS getting fairly elderly for a cat.  I'm glad you could give her a good home for her twilight years.