Menu

What weeks coming up in the next few months could we travel to a beach and avoid Feb break and spring breakers?

HappyGrace

We don't travel much so I have no idea! We want to go when it's less crowded, and certainly avoid college kids on break partying at the beach! Any tips?

Also, would we be better off going through a travel agent like Liberty Travel? We don't care where we go and can go anytime it's cheapest, etc-just to a family friendly beach and we want cheap and on the ocean-we thought an agent could just figure it all out for us? (including what weeks to avoid partyers and crowds?)

I know there are things like Priceline but we thought maybe an agent would have more insider's tips, etc?

Well...February has the potential for pretty chilly beach weather unless you are way south. Where are you coming from?

I would not pick Key West for family friendly and it's a heck of a drive from anywhere not in FL, for example.

Most Spring Breaks are in March. Easter is late this year (April 20--or later if you are Orthodox) so SB for our public schools is the week before--but it's probably college break you want to avoid, and that usually isn't tied to the holy day, just happens mid semester or at the end of a trimester.

So, I'd figure out some places you can get to that have the atmosphere you are looking for in your price range. Then you really don't need an agent to book. Look online, then call for best price.

My NY friends take their spring break in February near Valentines Day! That seems so early to me.

Actually, that is just the mid-winter break. The spring break for the Northeast is in April usually. Here in MA it is always the week of Patriot's Day, which is around April 15 or so. It is not scheduled around Easter. 

Honestly you have the potential to run into folks from Presidents' Day through April. The first week of May is usually safe because it's final exam time for colleges and back to the books for the last few weeks for high school.

Bigger question is what Chris pointed out - if you want enjoyable warmth you need to head farther south. Also, the more upscale the area, usually the lower number of students. Islamorada or another key might be nice, Sanibel would also be nice, by May the water is warmer up especially the gulf coast, but earlier than that the panhandle waters can still be chilly.

This is all really helpful-thanks! I hadn't even thought about Mardi Gras! It looks like it will be hard to find good dates, and will have to instead find less crowded places. I hadn't thought of having to go so far south for weather! So we'd definitely need to do South Florida then, if we did, say early March?

And yes, we LOVE Sanibel-honeymooned there, etc. BUT it is pricey :(

What about any islands-I assume we'd get too many spring breakers in Jamaica, etc?

My bad, I forgot the NE schedules for breaks are different.  :)

And I'm glad Pascha is the same time as Easter.  :)  I have several new Orthodox friends now that I met in Israel; it'll be nice to know we are celebrating the same time. 

Sanibel is too shell-y for me, but I see you enjoy it, OP. If you go a little later, what about coastal Georgia? Never been there but hear it's nice. Warm enough, tho?

Have you been to Atlantis resort in the Bahamas? I've been once about 14 years ago. It was expensive but really nice, and there are ways you can make it cost less.

Having lived in Ft. Lauderdale and Miami, I just don't think of their beaches as very nice--my taste runs more to the lower island beaches of the Outer Banks, but it's chilly there (or can be) during Feb.

What about somewhere like Cancun, or maybe taking a short cruise where you stop at a beach?

Yes, I'm wondering about warmth now, and where we can go for that! Like how early can we go to Outer Banks or Georgia and be warm, etc.

I'm thinking Cancun would be full of spring breakers. Atlantis would be great but not sure how to get deals for it!

We have not been away for a week's vacation since our honeymoon 17 yrs ago.

If you go to Florida in February, about half of the time, it will be warm. We are in the southeast, spring break for colleges rotates and starts the end of February and goes through March.

Siesta Key is nice, but there isn't a lot to do. But if you want a condo/cottage near/on the beach with a relaxing vibe, its great.