Menu

History Audio Books for 8 to 11 year olds?

Samantheia

We are listening to The Sea of Trolls right now. Viking times, kidnapping, so far it's really good. I don't know how it ends though or how scary it gets yet. It's historical fiction/ fantasy. Not sure if that's what you want though.

You should check out the lists of chapter books that people have made to go along with history. I recently posted asking for American history book suggestions and one reply contained a link to amazing list of books, many of which come in audio versions. That's where I got the Sea of Trolls idea. I am in a phone and can't search or link right now, but it should be easy to find.

We are listening to The Sea of Trolls right now. Viking times, kidnapping, so far it's really good. I don't know how it ends though or how scary it gets yet. It's historical fiction/ fantasy. Not sure if that's what you want though.

You should check out the lists of chapter books that people have made to go along with history. I recently posted asking for American history book suggestions and one reply contained a link to amazing list of books, many of which come in audio versions. That's where I got the Sea of Trolls idea. I am in a phone and can't search or link right now, but it should be easy to find.

Fiction:

Island of the Blue Dolphins

Around the World in 80 Days

A Single Shard

The Little Duke

Black Beauty

Good Masters! Sweet Ladies! Voices from a Medieval Village

Number the Stars

The Adventures of Tom Sawyer

Nonfiction:

Our Island Story

The Drama of American History

The Book of Pirates

My son really enjoyed Secrets of a Civil War Submarine.  Here it is on audible:  http://www.audible.com/pd/Kids/Secrets-of-a-Civil-War-Submarine-Audiobook/B002V1A272/ref=a_search_c4_1_1_srTtl?qid=1390010043&sr=1-1

When I looked at the author I saw that she wrote a couple more books that are worth checking out. 

Gary Paulsen also wrote some good historical fiction that should be available on audio too.  One example would be Woods Runner.

My son really enjoyed Secrets of a Civil War Submarine.  Here it is on audible:  http://www.audible.com/pd/Kids/Secrets-of-a-Civil-War-Submarine-Audiobook/B002V1A272/ref=a_search_c4_1_1_srTtl?qid=1390010043&sr=1-1

When I looked at the author I saw that she wrote a couple more books that are worth checking out. 

Gary Paulsen also wrote some good historical fiction that should be available on audio too.  One example would be Woods Runner.