Menu

I'm sickie… I need movies to watch on Netflix or Amazon Prime...

Michelle My Bell

I have been couch bound all day and am getting antsy. Any recommendations for some good movies or TV shows? Too bad Outlander isn't out yet. I like just about every category from Documentary - Science Fiction. Some things I have seen and loved to give you examples of my taste...

Olympus Has Fallen (I love dramas like this)

Arthur BBC

Merlin BBC

Breaking Bad (surprisingly I LOVED this show) (I looked at Weeds and couldn't stand that one)

Anne of Green Gables

Little Women

Pride and Prejudice

North and South

Cranford

Wives and Daughters

Emma 

Sense and Sensibility

Once Upon a Time

Once Upon a Time in Wonderland

Walking Dead

Blackfish - Documentary about Sea World

Dances with Wolves

The Patriot

Roswell 

Sleepless in Seattle

The First Wives Club

Have you seen Arranged? It's a wonderful movie about an Orthodox Jewish woman and a Muslim woman in NYC who are teaching for a year and in the process of getting their marriage partners by arrangement. It's really, really, good--funny, sweet, and just...a really nice movie.

Have you watched LOST? 

Jiro Dreams of Sushi

Foyle's War

Bleak House

Ushpizin

Frasier

Ushpizin:  What a great movie.  Saw that a few years ago and LOVED IT! 

Never heard of Jiro... before. 

Thanks for starting this thread Michelle, but sorry you're sick.  I've had a very emotionally bad couple of days and all I want to do is lie around myself.

I also recommend Foyle's War. 

Most of these are on Amazon Prime: (Freaks and Geeks was on Netflix awhile back when we had it.)

The Bletchley Circle~BBC post-WWII female codebreakers solve murders

The Painted Veil~Maugham's tale of a divided marriage brought together by an epidemic in China during the '30s

Robot & Frank~SciFi told in the near future about an elderly man and his robot aide

Big Night~3 brothers try to make a success of an Italian restaurant in the '50s

TV series: Freaks and Geeks~2 siblings and their circles of friends growing up in the early '80s

TV series: A Bit of Fry and Laurie~hysterical sketch comedy

Documentary: Man on a Wire~the Frenchman who snuck in and wire-walked between the twin towers in the '70s

Documentary: The Thin Blue Line~true story of a Texas man who is convicted of murder and spends 2 decades in prison based mostly on the testimony of the murderer himself

Let the Right One In~Swedish horror, coming of age, and love story

Bottle Shock

Doc Martin

Sherlock

Never seen Bottle Shock, but I am a huge Doc Martin fan and an obsessed Sherlock watcher. As in, I might be able to overcome my fear of flying just to go to London and walk around. Really.

And Word Nerd, I will forgive you for not mentioning Sherlock, but this will go on your permanent record.

Most of these are on Amazon Prime:

The Bletchley Circle~BBC post-WWII female codebreakers solve murders

Documentary: Man on a Wire~the Frenchman who snuck in and wire-walked between the twin towers in the '70s

Bletchley Circle is (or was a month or so ago) on Netflix streaming.

I saw bits and pieces of Man on a Wire. I should check Netflix. No Prime here yet, but I live in hope.

If you don't mind sort of scary then I highly recommend the UK Being Human. There was also a US version and it has a good reputation as well, but I suggest starting with the original first.

It is NOT for children. It is BBC evening TV so it has some nudity (mostly bare bottom type stuff) and the occasional 'R' sex scene. It has is some blood and gore. I am very sensitive to that but it didn't bother me. However some people said they didn't like it. I figure they must be super sensitive, because I am such a wimp, lol.

But I just loved this show. We didn't expect to like it as much as we did.

And Lost is streaming as is West Wing (an oldie but a goodie)

We watched "Sharknado" last night and could not stop laughing! Particularly when limbs are coming off and dh starts to mutter "it's just a flesh wound" ala Monty Python and the Holy Grail. And then ds18 was evaluating the physics of the whole thing which shows just how educational it really is. Surely the guys from MST3K would have a blast with this one!

Has anyone mentioned Bomb Girls yet?

Bletchley Circle was awesome, I agree.

Also agree about Being Human UK version.

Others:

A Buddy Story

The Buccaneers

Mansfield Park (1999 and 2007 were both good imho)

Cheerful Weather for the Wedding

British rom-com movies: Chalet Girl and Decoy Bride

I just found a great new series on Netflix - Endeavour.

It's listed on Netflix twice - one is the first episode/pilot and the other has four episodes.

It's a prequel to Inspector Morse and I've really enjoyed the first three episodes.

Thanks for the recommendation. I just watched the pilot and really enjoyed it. I've only seen one episode of Morse so maybe I need to give that another chance? I have enjoyed Inspector Lewis much too.