Menu

New spelling program coming out this spring....Spelling You See

BatmansWife

Today over at the homeschoolreviews forum someone mentioned this new spelling program coming out in a few months, Spelling You See.   I guess that it's being promoted by Math U See, although not written by Mr. Demme.  I went to the MUS website but couldn't find it there (although it might be there, but some box had popped up near the top of my screen there and I couldn't figure out how to x out of it...it definitely interfered with me seeing anything decently at the MUS website :banghead: ).  Anyway, Spelling You See sounds interesting...yet there isn't too much info about it (I wanna see samples, I wanna know the price, etc).  I'm hoping when it gets closer to it being available they'll add more information to their website, hopefully some samples.  I signed up to receive updates, so maybe I'll get some info that way eventually.  Just wanted to share as a heads up for something new that will be available in March.

ETA: I had forgotten to link the website.  Here it is. 

We'll, it certainly qualifies for it's own thread on the K-8 forum... :)

Yes, yes it does....thank you.

:D

Here is the thread.  Someone mentioned that they hope it will have videos (dvd's) like MUS does.  That struck me because that never even occurred to me.  That's an interesting thought.....  On their facebook page they do have what looks like a picture of a video being shot...but for some reason I just assumed they were shooting kind of an infomercial-type thing about the spelling program for their website.  I guess we'll have to wait and see...

Thanks for posting this. It does look interesting. From the limited information on the site, it seems to formalize an organic style of learning to spell across the curriculum. At the bottom of the web page, it says there are no grade levels, like with MUS, but the topics, such as nursery rhymes, might make this harder to use for older struggling spellers. I'll be watching for more information, though.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for sharing this!  I am very intrigued.  (I shouldn't be, because we are happy with AAS...but I can't help myself!  lol)  I am annoyed with the baited hook they have draped before me, however.  They are teasing me with bits and pieces!  LOL

Thanks for sharing this!  I am very intrigued.  (I shouldn't be, because we are happy with AAS...but I can't help myself!  lol)  I am annoyed with the baited hook they have draped before me, however.  They are teasing me with bits and pieces!  LOL

Oh, I agree!  Me too!

My oldest is halfway through AAS1 (we're zooming through it) and I like it well enough.  But this particular child is so visual... I think a lot of the things mentioned in the video would work for her....  

But the big thing is:  when will there be SAMPLES!?!?!?  :D :D

I just got the e-mail too and was coming here to share.  You beat me to it.  :lol:   I was glad to finally see a little of what the books look like.  I like that you mark in the workbooks with the different colors pencils.  I think my dd will like that. 

Oh, I agree!  Me too!

My oldest is halfway through AAS1 (we're zooming through it) and I like it well enough.  But this particular child is so visual... I think a lot of the things mentioned in the video would work for her....  

But the big thing is:  when will there be SAMPLES!?!?!?   :D :D

Yes, that's the next important question.  I can't wait to see some samples!

ETA: and it would be nice to know prices too. 

I wish I could make a little better sense of their chart at their website.  It shows the 5 different stages and their 5 books on top (although they don't line up directly above the different stages below...and the words are super tiny.  :glare: I think they need a website editor).  What I'm wondering about is the Wild Tales book, which is stage 3.  I'm thinking that might be where JB will start.  But, it says that Stage 3, Skills Development, lasts for "several years".  Does that mean Wild Tales lasts for several years then?  I guess even though I'm happy to see more info from them being available (the video)....I still need more. 

It shows the 5 different stages and their 5 books on top (although they don't line up directly above the different stages below...and the words are super tiny.  :glare: I think they need a website editor). 

I'm sure you did... but did you notice that if you hover your mouse over each stage/book, it gives a little more information for each?  (Not much, but a little...)

I'm sure you did... but did you notice that if you hover your mouse over each stage/book, it gives a little more information for each?  (Not much, but a little...)

Yes...that's where I got the info about Stage 3 lasting several years.  I just thought it odd that the words on the chart are so tiny yet the space for some of it is so large.  I guess I'm a complainer.... :blush:   I'll work on that....

:001_smile:

There is "samples" (well limited pictures) on a ladies blog: http://training6hearts4him.blogspot.com.au/2014/02/homeschooling6-dayspelling-you-see.html

Its what made me decide, tentatively, that its not for us. The chunking looked pretty much like PAL, which we have already looked through and re-sold. Searching for combinations and picking apart poetry isn't really for us :(

I was expecting something much different, I guess, from the reality. So unless thats just an extra page or minimal amounts of that type of thing, I will probably go to AAS/Spellodrome instead.

There is "samples" (well limited pictures) on a ladies blog: http://training6hearts4him.blogspot.com.au/2014/02/homeschooling6-dayspelling-you-see.html

Its what made me decide, tentatively, that its not for us. The chunking looked pretty much like PAL, which we have already looked through and re-sold. Searching for combinations and picking apart poetry isn't really for us :(

I was expecting something much different, I guess, from the reality. So unless thats just an extra page or minimal amounts of that type of thing, I will probably go to AAS/Spellodrome instead.

Thanks for the link to the blog.  I actually kinda like the highlighting of the "chunking".  I think it would help them see / notice patterns and such. 

Why the HWT lines???  My daughter has learned with the traditional three lines (middle one dashed); she has enough issues with her handwriting as it is, it would be a train wreck if I tried to teach her a different script right now.  I guess I can cross this off the list. :sad:

I never even noticed the lines at first glance.  Wish they wouldn't have done that.  I also don't like the way the copywork is split.  It breaks off mid sentence, and then overlaps a couple words and continues in another lesson.  My other issue with the copywork is the first letter in grey.  I don't like that.  It bugs me. 

I really like the color on the pages.  It's bright and fun looking.  I won't be dumping AAS, for sure, but...I could see using this as a supplement for my oldest if the price is low.  I think having her highlight the sound chunks could be very helpful for her reading and spelling.  I never thought of doing that, but it makes sense.  That being said...this looks like a system you could so easily do on your own with any phonics book.  I wouldn't pay a huge price point for it.

I like that they are using the same passage for 5 days. I only looked at two levels of samples, but I thought they looked nicely done. I'm not really looking to switch from Dictation day by Day, but I will be taking a look at the samples if they are at our homeschool convention.

I'm not sure what to think about it.  I'm trying to figure how this is spelling....I guess with just the repeated copywork and highlighting (on the other hand, we are using SS and that's an odd way to teach spelling...just writing a list of words each day)?  In looking at levels 3 - 5 it looks like there are 36 lessons in each book.  One lesson a week, which is repeated each day (5 times).  I don't know if JB will like that.  I can see day 3 and she'll be annoyed that this is the same thing she's already done twice....and she won't realize yet that she has to do it 3 more times.  I had hoped this would be a new spelling program for us, but I can see this as maybe a little fun supplement to what we are already using for spelling.  And, I can't see that we would do each lesson 5 times.  Depending on price....I may get it, but just as an add-on to our spelling now.  I'm kinda disappointed in that.... :sad:

ETA: thinking more about it...I don't think we'll get it.  I may try to incorporate a little highlighting of the "chunks" on our own, because I do like that idea.  But, my dd really doesn't like copywork, let alone repeated copywork.  *sigh*

I had hopes that this might be for us.  I really like the idea of using poetry/stories and learning spelling in context.  
But.... I don't think we'll be taking the plunge.  AAS is working well enough for us now and I plan on switching back to Apples & Pears once DD's writing stamina picks back up... 

Oh well! :o

I was hoping this would be a lot more like math u see with a weekly video. I am not sure I could have my kiddo copy that much during the week, along with a writing program, and other school work. Maybe just as a supplement for here and there. It is hard to see this as spelling, but I am sure it will work for many families. What a bummer, because I was really excited about it.

• 2 weeks later...