Menu

RE: Science in the Beginning, Jay Wile

For those of you who have been using Jay Wile's Science in the Beginning could you please provide an update, pro's/con's, why you like or dislike it, etc.

Does this curricula seem like a good forerunner to General Science or something comparable? 

Thoughts on if it is meaty enough for 5th/6th graders?

Thanks! 

I ordered it, looked at it and liked what I read, but we returned it.   :sad:

We have done a lot of science and it was not enough for ds11.

For someone just starting out or younger children, I believe it is a *great* program.   :thumbup:

I wish it would have worked for us. 

Thanks for your reply.  Would you mind sharing what you have really enjoyed?  I am toying with what to do next with my almost 11 year old daughter.  We have do many STEM projects along with Apologia Your Explorers Chemistry and Physics.  While I like this text better than many I have used, I looking for something different.  Looking at Elemental Science, but did not like NOEO, also think the REAL Science Biology 2 looks more engaging than many of the level 1's.

Thanks for your reply.  Would you mind sharing what you have really enjoyed?  I am toying with what to do next with my almost 11 year old daughter.  We have do many STEM projects along with Apologia Your Explorers Chemistry and Physics.  While I like this text better than many I have used, I looking for something different.  Looking at Elemental Science, but did not like NOEO, also think the REAL Science Biology 2 looks more engaging than many of the level 1's.

We liked Elemental Science. We completed Physics for the Grammar stage and have Biology for the Logic stage to go into after we finish the program we are currently in.

At the suggestion of so many on this board, we are using The Elements by McHenry. DS11 *loves* it.  He likes it so much we are moving into the 2nd of the series, Carbon Chemistry.   :hurray: 

After these, we plan to go back to Elemental Science.  Subject to change with the reviews on this board, of course. :lol: