Menu

Dental question--WWYD?

TKDmom

So, I have a cracked tooth.

I went into my dentist last week, and she declined to put a crown on it. Based on the severity of my pain, she suspects that the crack is pretty deep, and she thought trying to put the crown on would just prolong my pain. So she referred me to an endodontist. I don't remember exactly what she said, but she wanted him to open up the tooth and see where the crack was, and she said something about how the tooth couldn't be saved if the crack was too deep.

The endodontist couldn't get me in for another 10 days, and I was in total agony every time I sipped water or breathed in cold air. A friend of mine (who's a dental hygienist), talked me into making an appointment with the dentist she works for to get a second opinion.

I went in to see dentist #2 on Tues. He advised me to get a temporary crown, and that if I was still in pain 2 or 3 days later, I should call him back and he would do a root canal. He said the root canal wouldn't fix the crack, but it would kill the nerve so I couldn't feel the crack anymore.

It's been 2 days, and my tooth is still pretty cold sensitive. Not as bad as before--I can eat and drink more easily. But standing outside in the cold (50F) air talking to a friend set off the aching last night, and I still can't let liquids touch that side of my mouth if they're cooler than body temp.

Now I'm totally confused. I have no experience with dental problems. Is a root canal really the best option? If the crack is too deep for a crown to protect, isn't there a chance of stuff getting in and getting infected? I don't want to go through multiple procedures and pay $$$, when maybe my original dentist was right in the first place and I should have listened to her. Ugh.

Any advice?

Edited by TKDmom

Well, I can tell you I've been through years of dealing with a cracked tooth. I was first given a crown but it did not work so then I had a root canal and a new crown. That worked for a few years then the tooth root became infected and I had it pulled and then needed an implant. My dentist told me at the beginning that there was a good chance I'd need an implant.

Cracked teeth are difficult and painful! I would go with the best advice from the dentist you trust.

Cracked teeth are iffy. I'm surprised the endodonist wouldn't see you with all that pain. Around here, most endodontists have emergency slots. I would call back and say you are in a LOT of pain and ask if they could take you that day.

I'm surprised the dentist offered a temp crown when you are in pain. The tooth has to be taken care of first.

If your tooth could be saved by a root canal, I would do it. I saved two teeth that way. However, if the tooth is very bad, I would have it pulled and get an implant or bridge. I would not do anything until the endodontist looked at it.

Cracked teeth are iffy. I'm surprised the endodonist wouldn't see you with all that pain. Around here, most endodontists have emergency slots. I would call back and say you are in a LOT of pain and ask if they could take you that day.

I'm surprised the dentist offered a temp crown when you are in pain. The tooth has to be taken care of first.

If your tooth could be saved by a root canal, I would do it. I saved two teeth that way. However, if the tooth is very bad, I would have it pulled and get an implant or bridge. I would not do anything until the endodontist looked at it.

It was weird. I called them to see if they would please let me come sooner. I actually heard a message (or read on their website?) that they have emergency slots open every day. But the receptionist, said no, they couldn't get me in sooner. My appointment would have been this morning. I cancelled it after getting the temp crown, because I felt so much better right after, and thought it would keep getting better. Grrr. I should have kept the appt and just gone in to talk to him.

ok, those voting to see the endo...would your vote change if you had already paid the copay ($600) for the permanent crown? I'm assuming the dentist would have to refund that money and only charge me for installing the temp crown.  

Thanks for the responses. I think I just need to man up and start making phone calls before the business day ends. :tongue_smilie:

Go see the endodontist. Ours has emergency appointments and i needed one 2 years ago. Tylenol w/ codeine wouldn't touch my pain and I was a mess. I have a pretty high pain tolerance too, so it was bad. They specialize in being able to diagnose whether you need a root canal or not. I'm surprised the dentist was willing to put a crown on your tooth. Good  luck and feel better soon! Tooth pain is terrible.

I think that you need to get an opinion on the salvagability of the clearly very damaged tooth from someone who isn't interested in selling you a temporary solution. Honestly even a permanent crown doesn't sound like it would necesarily last. I had a dentist try to sell me on a crown for a very damaged tooth (cracked in childhood and treated improperly) but the second opinion guy (who didn't make any money from his recommendation beyond the visit) sent me to have it extracted. He does crowns but felt it was reckless to work on a tooth as damaged as that one was. That dentist is now my regular dentist. I really don't think the second dentist did you any favors.

If you are hot/cold sensitive you probably need a root canal. Root canals, when done at the first sign of trouble, are not a big deal. The horror stories you hear are from people who waited a long time to get them.

I would absolutely see the endodontist. There is no way I'd have a root canal in a dentist office. My FIL is a dentist and he refuses to do root canals. He says he would never do enough of them to be great at them. He would rather send them to an endo because they do them all day long.

If you already have the crown on they can do the root canal and then fill the crown like a regular filling. From my experience the crown won't last as long (3-4 years), but it saves having to do another crown right away.