Menu

Seventeen years ago, dh and I decided to homeschool. Shortly thereafter I found WTM. Tomorrow...

DB in NJ

the little 6 year old boy we began homeschooling using the pattern and methods set out in that book has his first interview for a job-job at a State Senator's office.

On Sunday the 26th, he will become the first college graduate on either side of our family. He is graduating with a 3.96 GPA.

Thank you, SWB and your wonderful mom, for sharing your wisdom and guidance (and bandwidth) with us all those years ago. They have been a blessing to our family and have helped me stay on course and focus on the most important job I could ever have.

Thank you all! We couldn't have done it without the wonderful support and advice found on these boards. Well, not just these boards here...the old WTM boards too, where we had some lovely trolls who sold us all on their heartbreaking sob stories, recipe sharing, and stories of unfortunately-timed UPS deliveries. And bean dip. Ah, those were the days!

Welp, the interview went VERY well. They were impressed with his resume and experience. They said his references, well-known higher ups in the state party organization (not elected officials), gave him glowing reviews, and they requested some writing samples. He should be hearing from them soon ("next few weeks").

I'll let you know!! :)

Congrats, Donna!  Good for you and for him, and kudos on a job well done! 

I have a Class of 2014 (May) grad coming up, too.  I'm not sure I'll breathe a sigh of relief until she is over her jitters and figures out what the next step is--if you have any suggestions for helping a young adult narrow the field of choices, I'm all ears. 

My daughter was so undecided in her senior year. One minute she wanted to go to a 4 year university for literature, the next minute she wanted to go to a make-up school in new york city. The next thing I knew, she wanted to go for vet tech.

I had her volunteer at at wildlife rehab to see if she really wanted that, if it clicked for her or turned her off. Animals are adorable until you need to dice up frozen mice to go feed the snakes.

She loved it. She still hasn't enrolled in school, and I'm not sure she ever will. She took a 40 hour class and needs 100 hours as an apprentice, and she can be certified as a rehabber in Jersey.

Something I did with my son when he was in love with all things NASCAR and decided he wanted to be an auto mechanic was to order an auto mechanic course from CLE. He hated it. Best hundred bucks I ever spent.

Bottom line, ask her what her choices are, and see if you can find a free or relatively inexpensive way for her to 'try it on". She'll be able to at least rule out an option or two that way.

If the choices are MANY, I would suggest one of the aptitude tests or career books. I'll link one if I can remember the one I bought years ago. Otherwise, I would suggest she just enroll at the local community college as an undeclared major and talk with a guidance counselor. The first 2 years are all gen ed anyway.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

I'm sorry, Donna.  I meant college grad. She has double majored in art and ministry, but considers the art a skill, not a passion.  She has been interested in non-profits, interning with two, one faith-based, one not.  Both have been meaningful experiences.  She should go to grad school, she's got the brain for it (one B so far), but nothing seems to be exactly the right fit to make it worth her while. 

She's thinking of interning for the summer (paid, fortunately) in one field of interest to see if it continues to be of interest. 

Part of the problem is that so many Christian denominations limit the ways in which they will allow women to serve, and doctrinally, we are (mostly) aligned with those.  It poses a bit of a conundrum if when added to the doctrinal issues, a young lady is brighter and a more capable leader/thinker than many of her male counterparts, and they feel threatened by her.  (One of the profs at a school she has seriously considered has said as much, saying his institution is probably not a good match for her.) So in what would normally be a "good neighborhood" of career options for her to explore, she feels considerable tension.  Lots of praying going on here.

Now I'm going to go back and re-read your post because several things resonated.  :)

I'm sorry, Donna.  I meant college grad. She has double majored in art and ministry, but considers the art a skill, not a passion.  She has been interested in non-profits, interning with two, one faith-based, one not.  Both have been meaningful experiences.  She should go to grad school, she's got the brain for it (one B so far), but nothing seems to be exactly the right fit to make it worth her while. 

She's thinking of interning for the summer (paid, fortunately) in one field of interest to see if it continues to be of interest. 

Part of the problem is that so many Christian denominations limit the ways in which they will allow women to serve, and doctrinally, we are (mostly) aligned with those.  It poses a bit of a conundrum if when added to the doctrinal issues, a young lady is brighter and a more capable leader/thinker than many of her male counterparts, and they feel threatened by her.  (One of the profs at a school she has seriously considered has said as much, saying his institution is probably not a good match for her.) So in what would normally be a "good neighborhood" of career options for her to explore, she feels considerable tension.  Lots of praying going on here.

Now I'm going to go back and re-read your post because several things resonated.  :)

Oh, I'm sorry! I misunderstood.

As a female with leadership qualities, I feel your daughter's pain. I am with you on that doctrine, and at times, yes, it is extremely frustrating. But women's ministry has its place. And with organizations such as Lifeway and Precept, more and more women are finding their niche in ministry without stepping on the dudes' toes.

What are her gifts? Where in ministry does she see herself (teaching, administration, serving, organizing)? If non-profits is where her heart is, MANY of them are almost fully staffed by women. I'm thinking about crisis pregnancy centers, battered women shelters, etc. 

She sounds like a very bright and capable girl with loads of potential. Times are changing. A friend of mine who is working on her second seminary degree is taking two classes this semester on women in leadership. Your daughter is at the perfect place to stretch some of that thinking and those long-standing traditions. I am not in favor of going against Scripture at all. What I question is what the Scripture is actually saying as opposed to what we have been taught to believe it says.

Oh, Donna! I'm so happy. It's great that they wanted writing samples and I bet they'll be impressed with his. :D Well done, Donna and Mr. Donna & ds!

You simply MUST let me know when he hears about the job? Woohoo! This made my day and it's been a bad week here (Sherlock can only help so much, you know.)

I love how you helped your dd find her way. If dd had gone to the CC first, she would have wasted a lot of time and money. Turns out she doesn't need that many gen eds (not 60 credits worth), so we are grateful her career choice was clear early. Now, ds? I have no idea, but I pray hard that it will be clear. He's only in 9th grade. We'll see what the next few years bring.

Congrats to your ds! I'm so proud of my cyber-nephew!