Menu

WWS2 without WWS1

I think I need to know more before I can answer this question . . . why would you consider doing this?

If it is because you are worried that WWS1 is for 5th graders and so would be too easy . . . I would not be concerned about this.  Many users feel that WWS1 works better with older kids.  Some would go so far as to say it isn't even appropriate for most 5th graders.  

If it is because you are worried that you would be behind starting WWS1 in 6th . . . I wouldn't worry about that either.  WWS will turn out to be a 3-year program, so could easily be done in 6th-8th.  It could also very legitimately be done as a high school writing program, as many users will attest.

Now, if it is because you have read that some people are liking WWS2 better than WWS1 . . . that question is legit, I think.  I have myself suggested in past posts that a properly prepared student could skip WWS1 and go right into WWS2, so in order to avoid hypocrisy , I will have to say yes, I would attempt it!  ;)   Depending on the student, her preparation, etc. etc. etc.

Clear as mud?  :D

No, I wouldn't. Being able to write narrations well will make WWS1 less challenging, but I think there are lots of other important skills that are cemented in WWS1 that make WWS2 much more effective.

I could possibly see skipping or shortening WWS1 with a teenager, but I wouldn't with a 6th grader, unless she is a very skilled and experienced writer. Writing narrations well is only one part of that.

I would not, particularly not with a 6th grader.  At this point, I have a 5th grader and a 7th grader in WWS1.  The 7th grader is taking two years to complete the program - he did the first half last year.  The 5th grader started this year and will take next year, as well, to complete the program. 

Would you attempt WWS2 without having done WWS1 with a 6th grader who is very comfortable writing narrations?

Thanks,

I think being a 6th grader who is very comfortable writing narrations put you in the perfect spot to start WWS1. It will still be a healthy challenge, but not overwhelming.

Would you attempt WWS2 without having done WWS1 with a 6th grader who is very comfortable writing narrations?

Thanks,

No. SWB says being comfortable writing narrations is a prerequisite for WWS1. My son had been writing narrations up to several paragraphs for a quite a while when we started WWS1, and he still learned a whole lot and even struggled a good bit in some spots of the program.

Besides which, from a practical point of view, the program is meant to be a whole done over 3-4 years. You have plenty of time to do all levels even starting in sixth grade. And in level 2, the forms learned in level 1 are referred to sometimes to build on understanding if certain skills. It really is a cohesive program so far. With an 11-12 yo student who is accustomed to writing a lot already, the fist few weeks of level 1 may be very easy. The outlining may also be undemanding if the student has already done some of that. But the writing assignments do ramp up.

WWS will turn out to be a 3-year program, so could easily be done in 6th-8th.  

It will only be a 3-year program?  I assumed 4.  If I know it will be 3, I would like to stretch it out more now.  We are 2/3 through WWS1 and I would not mind backing off and stretching it through 8th grade.

I would not skip WWS 1.  WWS 1 is very meaty.  My 6th grader began it in 5th grade and is just now working on the final project.   While the books are written to be done in 36 weeks.  I think that is pushing it.  It has taken us more time than that.  But slowing down has been better than tears and frustration.  Ds has learned far more than narrations in WWS 1.

It will only be a 3-year program?  I assumed 4.  If I know it will be 3, I would like to stretch it out more now.  We are 2/3 through WWS1 and I would not mind backing off and stretching it through 8th grade.

Somewhere in the long "Answering Questions about WWS" thread at the top of this page SWB says that WWS will be a 3-year core with an optional 4th year for students who need more time.  This is how they now suggest WWE be used, too - 3 core years, and the 4th year is optional if the student needs more time on narration & dictation.

Somewhere in the long "Answering Questions about WWS" thread at the top of this page SWB says that WWS will be a 3-year core with an optional 4th year for students who need more time.  This is how they now suggest WWE be used, too - 3 core years, and the 4th year is optional if the student needs more time on narration & dictation.

Thanks!  This is good to know.  I did NOT know that about WWE4 - which we did do all four years of.  Ugh!  I should have read that whole thread, eh?  So, it sounds like there will be a WWS4, but it may not be necessary?  I am/was concerned WWS4 would not be out in time anyway since the roll-outs have been behind schedule.....

Thanks,

This is what I am going to do with my 5th grader. I looked through the samples online, read some reviews, and determined that doing WW2 now would be more engaging to my DD than WW1. I wouldn't say my DD is comfortable with writing, but she's already begun note-taking and outlining out of necessity. Many reviews claim the parent(s) likes Writing with Skill but the kids don't like it too much. I also think it would be easy to adapt something harder than to beef up something easy.