Menu

Life of Fred users, ? for you

I have a question about the pre-algebra books and the order in which to do them. I have read posts here that support either Physics BEFORE Pre-Algebra w/Biology, etc. (as the author recommends), or AFTER both pre-algebra books.

If you have used Physics and both the pre-algebra books, which order did you do them in? Did it work well for you dc?

Thanks!

Guest Midwest Academy of Arts an

Hello Momto2cs! I saw your blog and love it. You and I probably have a lot in common, I have a boy and a girl, and we heart Life of Fred, and all of the books on your blog. I want desperately to start a homeschool blog and yours is lovely. any advice appreciated.

We did the Physics during the Pre-alegebra, and simply went back and forth. Yes it is a little pricey and we are a frugal family, for sure. My poor husband no longer asks IF we are having beans for dinner, but what kind of beans. We make our own dryer sheets, BTW. And our grocery shopping sounds like yours. Anyway, the back and forth Fred worked out fine for us, and we just try to go with my son's interest and feed that. When it looks like he's stumbling over fractions, we do an hour of Kahn Academy (which we adore) to get us up to speed.

I would say it doesn't matter much which you do, so long as you keep up interest and keep on the basics.

I also admire all of your sig-lines, and stuff about who you are and what you do. I must be too dumb to fish, as we say in the South because I haven't figured any of that out yet. :sad:

There, emoticons are a stretch for me.

Cheers, Ann

I have a question about the pre-algebra books and the order in which to do them. I have read posts here that support either Physics BEFORE Pre-Algebra w/Biology, etc. (as the author recommends), or AFTER both pre-algebra books.

If you have used Physics and both the pre-algebra books, which order did you do them in? Did it work well for you dc?

Thanks!

I started my 14 yo in the physics book last week and she struggled with the Bridges. The first set of Bridges, she had to do 3 before passed. And she barely passed. So, I decided to switch her to the pre algebra.

Hello Momto2cs! I saw your blog and love it. You and I probably have a lot in common, I have a boy and a girl, and we heart Life of Fred, and all of the books on your blog. I want desperately to start a homeschool blog and yours is lovely. any advice appreciated.

We did the Physics during the Pre-alegebra, and simply went back and forth. Yes it is a little pricey and we are a frugal family, for sure. My poor husband no longer asks IF we are having beans for dinner, but what kind of beans. We make our own dryer sheets, BTW. And our grocery shopping sounds like yours. Anyway, the back and forth Fred worked out fine for us, and we just try to go with my son's interest and feed that. When it looks like he's stumbling over fractions, we do an hour of Kahn Academy (which we adore) to get us up to speed.

I would say it doesn't matter much which you do, so long as you keep up interest and keep on the basics.

I also admire all of your sig-lines, and stuff about who you are and what you do. I must be too dumb to fish, as we say in the South because I haven't figured any of that out yet. :sad:

There, emoticons are a stretch for me.

Cheers, Ann

Ann,

I've always found blogger to be very user friendly, so I'd recommend checking that out for starting a blog. As to the signature lines, at the top of the page, on the right hand side, you should see your user name with a little arrow next to it. Click on that, go to "settings" and then there will be a menu on the left hand side. Click on Edit Signature, and there you go!

Thanks to both of you for the LoF advice!

We are currently on Beginning Algebra. We did Elementary Physics when Schmidt suggested and it did not work well at all (got to Ch 22 and gave up). We went instead into the Pre-Algebra books and did not look back.

Now that we are doing physics in 8th grade we may pick up Elementary Physics again. It's tough, though - EP is not aligned well with any physics curriculum I have run across.

I agree that I did not find LOF Physics to be a good entry into the topic.  It was really confusing for a kid who hadn't had any physics, even leaving the math aside.  I don't think there is a downside to waiting, it will reinforce the physics and the math learned more coherently elsewhere if you do it later.  

This book also lacked some of the fun and whimsy of the earlier LOF books, I thought.  I'm not sure why.  It was the first LOF book we were really disappointed with.

We are currently on Beginning Algebra. We did Elementary Physics when Schmidt suggested and it did not work well at all (got to Ch 22 and gave up). We went instead into the Pre-Algebra books and did not look back.

Now that we are doing physics in 8th grade we may pick up Elementary Physics again. It's tough, though - EP is not aligned well with any physics curriculum I have run across.

I agree that I did not find LOF Physics to be a good entry into the topic.  It was really confusing for a kid who hadn't had any physics, even leaving the math aside.  I don't think there is a downside to waiting, it will reinforce the physics and the math learned more coherently elsewhere if you do it later.  

This book also lacked some of the fun and whimsy of the earlier LOF books, I thought.  I'm not sure why.  It was the first LOF book we were really disappointed with.

Now I wonder about just skipping it altogether? My son loves physics, but is happy enough with his Coursera course at the moment, and I am sure there are other good physics programs out there. I'm thinking that since this particular LoF book was added in so much later, it would be okay to skip. Thoughts?

Well, that's what we decided.  We're doing the Coursera course, plus the Stop Faking It Force & Motion activity book, and Story of Science: Newton.  We like all those things.  We didn't like LOF.  I think it is totally skippable.  (I actually bought the book, we both looked through it, then I sold it).

Well, that's what we decided.  We're doing the Coursera course, plus the Stop Faking It Force & Motion activity book, and Story of Science: Newton.  We like all those things.  We didn't like LOF.  I think it is totally skippable.  (I actually bought the book, we both looked through it, then I sold it).

How funny - Cyrus is using both those resources right now too!