Menu

8 & 11 year old boys - what to read next?

I feel like I have no book suggestions for my love-to-read-kids.  What do you suggest?

They've done:

* 39 clues

* How to Train Your Dragon

* some series about a secret (like I can't tell you the name of this book...)

* Beverly Cleary books

* Encyclopedia Brown

* Hardy Boys

* 1 of them read Box Car Children, other ones not so interested

* Older one is reading Narnia for co-op

* Avi's Poppy series

* Percy Jackson

and many more that aren't listed here.  But I'm really out of ideas and they despertely want books. 

Gregor the Overlander?

The 2 (3?) other Rick Riordian series?

George's Secret Key to the Universe and the sequels.

Swiss Family Robinson

Treasure Island

The Phantom Tollbooth

Matilda, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and others by Roald Dahl?

Have they read Harry Potter yet?

Benedict Society is looong and has sequels, should keep them busy for a while. It is also not as dark as the Series of Unfortunate Events books.

Time Warp Trio?

Whipping Boy? My son assured me it isn't as violent as it sounds

Hatchet - there is divorce, and a fatal heart attack at the beginning. It is like a more on edge take off My Side of the Mountain.

My son is LOVING the Warrior Cats series by Erin Hunter.  Very good chapter books with plenty of pages and a good adventurous story line.  And there's a ton of them to read.  He went through all of the first six in the series in the five days after Christmas he loved them so much!  And yes, that's about all he did that week- they aren't short books.

My son is reading the Underland Chronicles by Suzanne Collins. He LOVES it! The series before this was the Last Dragon Chronicles by Chris D'Lacey & he loved that too!! He also loves anything by Rick Riordan.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=Underland+chronicles

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_22?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=last+dragon+chronicles&sprefix=Last+dragon+chronicles%2Caps%2C281&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Alast+dragon+chronicles

I don't have boys, but The Black Stallion series, Tom Sawyer, A Series of Unfortunate Events, Harry Potter, Old Yeller, The Yearling, Where the Red Fern Grows, The Incredible Journey, The Little Lame Prince, A Wrinkle in Time, Artemis Fowl...

That's all that is coming to me at the moment.

My 11 year old is pickier than most, but he liked when we did these over the last few years. 

*the Fudge books (Judy Blume)

*My Side of the Mountain

*The Mysterious Benedict Society 

*The Door in the Wall

*that series where the kid travels in time to get baseball cards signed (the Baseball Card Adventures series.by Dan Gutman I think)

*Cheaper By the Dozen

My (just turned 10) son has enjoyed the following series:

Percy Jackson

Heroes of Olympus

Chronicles of Prydain

Gregor Overlander

Sea of Trolls

Fablehaven

Warrior cats

Mysterious Benedict society

Hobbit & Lord of the Rings

Harry Potter

Little Britches

My Side of the Mountain

Sign of the Beaver

Big Red (and sequels)

Redwall series

The Twenty One Balloons

Some shorter Jules Verne works

Greek mythology - illustrated versions of the Iliad and Odyssey

Swiss Family Robinson

Adventures of Tintin (graphic novels)

Lassie Come-Home

Call of the Wild

• 2 weeks later...

Try:

• The Hardy Boys
  • Encyclopedia Brown
  • Dr. Who books (screen for content, I have a short list of books that I read aloud to my DW loving 10 year old if you are interested)
  • Indian in the Cupboard (pretty sure this is a series?)
  • Prydrain chronicles

You may also consider introducing some graphic novels. I did this with my 10yo boy because he is not a big reader. He will listen to audiobooks and likes to be read to, but finds reading on his own to be stressful. So far, he has read:

• Amulet series
  • Hetalia series (read with parental oversight and discussion, deals with World War 2 and paired with a unit study when we finished SOTW 1 last year)
  • Sherlock Holmes graphic novels (read those with Dad's help and oversight)
  • Frankenstein the graphic novel (during his love affair with Mary Shelley's life story....)

He has read several others, but I don't keep an exhaustive list. I usually require him to read at least one "real" book for every 2 graphic novels or mangas. Most of his reading is confined to readers or short stories at this point. He listens to audiobooks of longer chapter books at this point.

The Alvin Fernald series by Clifford B. Hicks. It's a little dated, but the main character is a tinkerer/inventor. They're short-ish, though. Ds finished the first one "the Marvelous Inventions of Alvin Fernald" in one day. My uncle gave it to my son for a gift or I never would have heard of the books/author. A real gem.

Another vote for the Redwall series. These are well written as far as word choice and sentence construction (i.e. not only fun reads but a good influence on the brain for writing). The audio books are fabulous for car trips.

My 11 y.o.finished The Hobbit and is nearly done with The Lord of the Rings. Great boy interest there.

Of course Tom Sawyer.

Definitely read the whole Narnia series.

My son read the first of G. A. Henty's books and enjoyed it. He wants to read the rest.

This is a great list! My 8.5 year old also loved Harry Potter, the Gregor books, Mysterious Benedict Society, Series of Unfortunate Events, both Percy Jackson series, the Kane Chronicles and Sisters Grimm.

I would add:

• The NERDS series by Michael Buckley (author of Sisters Grimm) 

• Dragon Rider by Cornelia Funke.

• Storybound and Story's End by Marissa Burt

• Wonder by RJ Palacio.

This is a great list! My 8.5 year old also loved Harry Potter, the Gregor books, Mysterious Benedict Society, Series of Unfortunate Events, both Percy Jackson series, the Kane Chronicles and Sisters Grimm.

I would add:

• The NERDS series by Michael Buckley (author of Sisters Grimm) 

• Dragon Rider by Cornelia Funke.

• Storybound and Story's End by Marissa Burt

• Wonder by RJ Palacio.

Ds 11 has enjoyed all of the above and I was going to suggest Wonder.  He asked for it so many times from the library I just went ahead and bought it for him.  

Books he reads over and over are horrible history if you haven't done those.  He is rereading the Hunter Chronicles, and has checked out The Unwanted series a bunch of times.  Has someone suggested the Fablehaven, Pendragon, or Inkheart series?  Theses are not on any approved lists so more for fun  :hat:  I have not read any of them.  Just know he liked them.

My son is LOVING the Warrior Cats series by Erin Hunter.  Very good chapter books with plenty of pages and a good adventurous story line.  And there's a ton of them to read.  He went through all of the first six in the series in the five days after Christmas he loved them so much!  And yes, that's about all he did that week- they aren't short books.

Does your son know that Erin Hunter isn't a real person? Because she? is actually the name picked for the various people who write The Warrior Cats. So he can look up the authors who actually wrote the book and maybe find something else he would like to read. 

ETA: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erin_Hunter

My son and I recently finished The Search for Wondla and *loved* it!  We couldn't wait to read this each night and finished it in record time.  We can't wait to start book 2 but we are doing the second Percy Jackson book first.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1416983112/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=1416983112&linkCode=as2&tag=whispesprin0e-20

great thread! I am going to take notes!!

Well, I am not sure what reading level we are talking about but my eight year old has read:

Time Warp Trio (series)

Mrs. Piggle Wiggle (this is a series)

The Mouse and the Motorcycle, Runaway Ralph and Ralph S. Mouse

We read a couple of books by Dalgliesh --The Bears on Hemlock Mountain and The Courage of Sarah Noble

How to Eat Fried Worms

We are currently reading the first of the Half Magic series by Edward Eager. My impression is that it is too hard for my son, although its lexile is about what he has been reading. Anyway. There are five books I think.

I thought of a few more books as I was going through DS1's old reading lists..

• Sugar Creek Gang (Very Christian version of The Hardy Boys. DS1 received a set through a homeschool book exchange at our old church. We tried book 1 last year and he wasn't so fond of it. Thinking of trying again next year as a storytime thing to see if it appeals to him now that he's a bit older.)
  • The Fairyland series (Everyone liked this. We did it as a storytime story over the summer. Our library doesn't have the newer books in this series yet. :()
  • Time Cat (We read this last year along with SotW 1. DS1 and DD both loved it and asked to read it again.)
  • The Golden Compass (This is a lovely book, one of my favorites of all-time. A bit heavy for younger kids, imo, but such a lovely story. It is the first book in the "His Dark Materials" series. The other two are not as good and should probably be saved for later, as they deal with some adult stuff.)

So many great books! 

I will try not to repeat.

My son much preferred Huckleberry Finn to Tom Sawyer

The Septmus Heap books (Magyck) is a favorite at the moment

Enid Blyton: The Famous Five and the Adventure series.

Calvin and Hobbes

Astrix

Watership Down

He likes young people biographies (Walt Disney and Albert Einstein are two favorite ones)

He plowed through the Hunger Games this year. LOVED those (The 11 year old, not the 8 year old for that series)

My kids are nowhere near old enough to read this, but I personally really enjoyed:

The Princess and the Goblin  George MacDonald  (Scholastic says it is grade level 7.5 or Lexile 1030)

There is a sequel:  The Princess and the Curdie 

MacDonald was supposedly a major influence on the works of Lewis and Tolkien

There are some potentially scary parts in the first book but nothing worse to me than the later Harry Potter books.

Does your son know that Erin Hunter isn't a real person? Because she? is actually the name picked for the various people who write The Warrior Cats. So he can look up the authors who actually wrote the book and maybe find something else he would like to read. 

ETA: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erin_Hunter

Yes, he actually thinks that's pretty cool.  We have some other books by the authors on his list- but he wants to keep reading the other million Cats books first  :huh: It seems like there's more every day- but they certainly encourage imagination.