Menu

Question for Almost No-Knead Bread bakers

msjones

If you bake Almost No-Knead bread that has beer as an ingredient, maybe  you can answer my question.

I wonder if I can save an opened beer for the next day's bread?  I assume I could -- I don't think the carbonation plays a key role in the recipe.  I believe the beer is there for flavor and possibly to feed the yeast.

Anyone know?  

I don't want to throw out a beer after only using 1/3 C.

(And I really don't want to drink it.  :))

I make a completely no-knead beer bread (just whisk dry ingredients, dump in beer, and pour it in huge loaf pan), and the recipe specifically says to use beer that is "cold or room temperature, but not flat," so that makes me think maybe the carbonation is important.

Recipe, please?

It's from the Joy of Cooking

Grease an 8 1/2 x 4 1/2 loaf pan. Preheat oven to 400 F and place rack in lower third.

Whisk together thoroughly in a large bowl:

1 c whole wheat flour

1 c all purpose flour (I had no whole wheat so used all normal flour plus an extra 1/4 c. Because we live in the tropics)

1/2 c. Old fashioned rolled oats

2 Tbsp sugar (I used a bit less)

2 tsp. baking powder

1/2 tsp baking soda

1/2 tsp salt

Add:

1 1/2 c. Light or dark beer (but not stout), cold or at room temperature but not flat

Fold just until dry ingredients are moistened. Scrape batter into loaf pan and spread evenly. Bake until toothpick inserted in center all the way to the bottom of the pan comes out clean, 35-40 minutes. Let cool in pan on rack for 5-10 minutes before removing to cool completely.

It was very heavy, slightly bitter, and delicious, everything a beer bread should be.

My recipe is from Cooks Illustrated.  It is SOOOOO easy and very, very, very good.  I just don't want to have to open a can of beer every time I make it.  I'm going to try it with flat beer tomorrow and I'll let y'all know how it turns out.

• 3cups unbleached all-purpose flour (15 ounces), plus additional for dusting work surface
  • 1/4teaspoon instant or rapid-rise yeast
  • 1 1/2teaspoons table salt
  • 3/4cup plus 2 tablespoons water (7 ounces), at room temperature
  • 1/4cup plus 2 tablespoons mild-flavored lager (3 ounces)
  • 1tablespoon white vinegar
INSTRUCTIONS

1. Whisk flour, yeast, and salt in large bowl. Add water, beer, and vinegar. Using rubber spatula, fold mixture, scraping up dry flour from bottom of bowl until shaggy ball forms. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and let sit at room temperature for 8 to 18 hours.

2. Lay 12- by 18-inch sheet of parchment paper inside 10-inch skillet and spray with nonstick cooking spray. Transfer dough to lightly floured work surface and knead 10 to 15 times. Shape dough into ball by pulling edges into middle. Transfer dough, seam-side down, to parchment-lined skillet and spray surface of dough with nonstick cooking spray. Cover loosely with plastic wrap and let rise at room temperature until dough has doubled in size and does not readily spring back when poked with finger, about 2 hours.

3. Adjust oven rack to lowest position. Lightly flour top of dough and, using razor blade or sharp knife, make one 6-inch-long, ½-inch-deep slit along top of dough. Pick up dough by lifting parchment overhang and lower into 6- to 8-quart heavy-bottomed Dutch oven (let any excess parchment hang over pot edge). Cover pot and place in oven. Heat oven to 425 degrees. Once oven has reached 425 degrees, bake bread for 30 minutes.

4. Remove lid and continue to bake until loaf is deep brown and instant-read thermometer inserted into center registers 210 degrees, 20 to 30 minutes longer. Carefully remove bread from pot; transfer to wire rack and cool to room temperature, about 2 hours.

If you're adding yeast it will probably work with the opened bottle, but if you're making regular no-yeast beer bread I wouldn't risk it.

I do add yeast.  But not much.  

I'm going to be really adventurous and give it a try.  I'll let you know how it turns out.  :)

I use your exact recipe and use day old beer (or longer) all the time. It has never effected my bread. Any carbonation will be lost in the long fermentation period, anyways. Isn't it the best recipe? I have made hundreds and hundreds of loaves and we will never tire of it.

Another way I solve this problem is by mixing two loaves at once. I either bake them one after the other or else I bake one loaf in the evening and another in the morning. The dough can sit for up to 30 hours, I think, so you have wiggle room. I also sometimes up the flour in the bread and use a full 3/4 cup of beer per two loaves. This recipe is incredibly forgivable. I always add more moisture than the recipe calls for, sometimes beer and sometimes water.

I use your exact recipe and use day old beer (or longer) all the time. It has never effected my bread. Any carbonation will be lost in the long fermentation period, anyways. Isn't it the best recipe? I have made hundreds and hundreds of loaves and we will never tire of it.

Another way I solve this problem is by mixing two loaves at once. I either bake them one after the other or else I bake one loaf in the evening and another in the morning. The dough can sit for up to 30 hours, I think, so you have wiggle room. I also sometimes up the flour in the bread and use a full 3/4 cup of beer per two loaves. This recipe is incredibly forgivable. I always add more moisture than the recipe calls for, sometimes beer and sometimes water.

Hooray!  That is just what I wanted to hear.

My family loves this bread and I never intend to buy another pricey 'artisan' loaf from the store --especially if I can use flat beer!

In the first recipe (Joy of Cooking), the rising agent is the baking powder and heat, aided by the baking soda reacting with the acidity of the beer. It's a soda bread. The carbonation of the beer shouldn't matter. In the second recipe, the yeast is the raising agent, feed by the sugar in the beer. The fact the recipe has only a little bit of yeast and sugar is the reason it can sit for up to 30 hours and why it needs a long ferment. It's a proper, old style bread, with similar qualities to a sourdough without the stuffing about. You could probably omit the beer and let the yeast feed on the carbohydrate in the flour, but the flavour may not be as good. If the yeast and sugar content was higher the bread would ferment and smell alcoholic.

If it wasn't so bloody hot here at the moment, I try one or both recipes, but I can't stand the thought of lighting the oven. I'll have to let DH drink all the beer instead!

D