Menu

Mr Q science in middle and high school

Garga

I see lots of people talking about Mr Q for elementary school, (and they love it for elementary school) but has anyone used his middle/high school level books yet?

My son will be in 7th grade next year. Is the advanced chemisty good? Is this a heavyweight science curric? Or a lightweight?

The regular levels are definitely elementary, imho - I used Bio in 3rd and Earth in 4th grade. 

I'm currently using Mr. Q Advanced Chem for 7th grade.  I think it's fantastic for middle school level.  Lots of math, lots of practice, quizzes and tests to review. The reading is fairly quick, it's well explained, so dd hasn't been overwhelmed by it.   I think it might not be "complete" enough for high school, except maybe for a 9th grade intro or a really non-sciencey kid who needs a basic class.  Also, the labs are just kitchen labs - I signed my dd up for an outside lab course, but again, if it's just for middle school, the kitchen labs would probably be enough.  So... I'd say it's fairly heavyweight as a middle school course, and lightweight for a high school course.

Of course, I'm comparing it to what my older dds are doing in 10th grade honors Chem in a fairly hardcore high school.  But I find myself wishing I'd found Mr. Q for them to do in middle school; I feel like they would be having a much easier time now.  I think I like the Adv. Chem even better than the elementary books we used.  This may be partly because I now have a tablet and don't have to print the whole thing out anymore!

Mr. Q Advanced Bio is just anatomy, not a full bio class.  As an Anatomy class, I haven't looked at it enough to see if I'd think it was worthy of a high school Anatomy elective, but if the Chem book is any guide, it's probably great for middle school.

Thank you!  I was so hoping you would say that.  I would be leery of using it for high school, but was hoping it would be good for middle school.

If anyone else wants to chime in, I'd love more opinions. I can't find anything online about the 12-18 year old curric by Mr. Q.

I agree about the advanced chemistry one being a good option for a bright middle school student or a general ed track high schooler.

Here are some threads on it:

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/456762-mr-q-advanced-chemistry/

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/376889-has-anyone-actually-used-all-or-part-of-mr-qs-advanced-chemistry/