Menu

Too many subjects and not getting done- will you help?

There are too many subjects that my kids are doing and yet I do not know how to cut them out or fit them all in.  I could use some advice because when I drop things I feel like I am failing them in certain areas but if I make them do everything, we do school for far too long each day.

Here are the subjects I have for my kids:

7yo, grade 2:

Math- Singapore, 45 min avg per day

Math- speed drills, 5 min, iPad

Typing- one lesson per day- 5 min

Grammar- Rod and Staff- one lesson every other day

Spelling- AAS- one lesson every other day

Reading- CLE 2 reading - one lesson per day

Writing- IEW Bible Heros- 1/2 hour each day

Writing- WWE- 2 lessons each day- one narration, one copywork or dictation - 1/2 hour each day

Science- RSO Chem. try for 1 hour each day but sometimes this gets dragged out and I can't quit mid lesson 

History- try for 1/2 hour each day, not a subject of interest

Geography- Expedition Earth- 1x per week, 1-2 hours.  (I need to do this or countries would never get covered and this child needs to gain a larger awareness. He actually likes this program so it works that we do it even though it takes time)

I add in 1/2 hour of assigned reading- meaning he has to read a novel at his reading level.  I don't choose the novel but it's not "free" reading in that he can read anything including comics.  It has to be something like Charlotte's Web or whatever that he can read easily but wouldn't touch if I didn't make him.  This child would not read if I didn't require it of him.   :(  But he reads without complaint when asked to put in his 1/2 hour or 3 chapters (for books with shorter chapters)

I would like for him to start on MindBenders but there simply isn't time.  He's also "supposed" to be starting a second language- French- but I can't even get in what is above that adding more seems crazy.  I don't know how to ever get this child to do French.

9yo, 4th grade:

Math- Singapore, 60 min avg per day

Cursive- 15 min practice per day

Grammar- Rod and Staff- two-3 lessons at a time, every other day (1/2 hour or so total)

Spelling- Phonetic Zoo- every other day

Vocabulary- one page each day, plus a bit of review (15 min or so)

Reading- CLE 4 reading (one book to be completed each month)

Novel study- when not doing CLE Reading (there are only 5 books)

Writing- IEW Ancient Based Writing OR   Classical Composition - 1 hour each day  

Writing- WWE- 2 lessons each day- one narration, one dictation to keep skills up and ready for WWS next year

Science- RSO Chem. try for 1 hour each day but sometimes this gets dragged out and I can't quit mid lesson 

Geography- Expedition Earth- 1x per week, 1-2 hours.  (done with sibling and the program is quite enjoyed by both)

Instrument practice for lessons- 20-30 min per day, required by teacher

I add in 1/2 hour of required reading but I admit that the above takes so long that she doesn't always get around to assigned reading

She is supposed to be doing French but is only 8 lessons in because we can never find the time and start Latin this year but I can't find the time to add this in either.  Same for Logic books.  When the heck to build those skills?

12yo, 7th grade:

Math- BJU 7- one lesson per day

Grammar- 2 lessons, every other day

Vocabulary- VFCR, 15 min every other day

Reading- CLE Reading- one book per month (only 5 books)

Reading- Windows to the World when not doing CLE

Writing With Skill- as directed in book 

Science- BJU- 45 min per day (or she'll never get through the book)

History- 1/2 hour per day

Mapping the World with Art- we aim for 2-3 lessons per week (not done on days history is done)

Instrument Practice- 20-30 min per day as per teacher

French - BJU French not getting done at this time

Latin- not getting done at all at this time

I am not happy that I am not getting to Logic with the kids at all.  All those thinking skills, which they are lacking in, I can't get to.  But there are not enough hours in a day and I don't know what to cut out.  Latin, French are not getting done and that really bothers me.  I should start the day with Latin but then other things don't get done and I'm having a tough time with prioritizing it all.  I spent somewhere in the ballpark of $600 on BJU science this year, including the online lessons and all the lab materials so she needs to get through that program or that will have been an epic waste.

I barely have time to read aloud to them.  The only time I can is during lunch but only if I don't eat.  There are no free afternoons.  We start at 9 and go until supper.  The kids drag things out like crazy and each day feels so... bleh.  Crafts, documentaries, fun board games, who has time for any of that?  Free reading?  Not in our house.  I wish I had time to do read alouds but when?????  I also have a few who are K and under that I need to tend to.  The kids get a novel read to them at bed time so that's about 30-45 min of reading most nights.  But just today, my 7yo told me he doesn't even know the story of LIttle Red Riding Hood.  :scared:   I totally feel like an awful mother.   :(  :thumbdown:  So many gaps despite my trying so hard. 

What am I doing wrong??  I don't think any of these subjects are "extra" in that they don't need to learn them.  How can I never do history or geography with them?  My kids didn't know where most countries are and I found that abysmal.  I am teaching them slowly and they are getting a better grasp at geography but that is coming at a cost of second language.

My oldest really needs to work on her critical thinking skills but we never have time to get around to that.

What on earth?  They are learning, but man, how to fix this.  I feel like we do so much but at the same time I feel like we do so little.  I can't sort through the fog of it all.

There are too many subjects that my kids are doing and yet I do not know how to cut them out or fit them all in.  I could use some advice because when I drop things I feel like I am failing them in certain areas but if I make them do everything, we do school for far too long each day.

7yo, grade 2:

Writing- WWE- 2 lessons each day- one narration, one copywork or dictation - 1/2 hour each day

Geography- Expedition Earth- 1x per week, 1-2 hours.  (I need to do this or countries would never get covered and this child needs to gain a larger awareness. He actually likes this program so it works that we do it even though it takes time)

I add in 1/2 hour of assigned reading- meaning he has to read a novel at his reading level.  I don't choose the novel but it's not "free" reading in that he can read anything including comics.  It has to be something like Charlotte's Web or whatever that he can read easily but wouldn't touch if I didn't make him.  This child would not read if I didn't require it of him.   :(  But he reads without complaint when asked to put in his 1/2 hour or 3 chapters (for books with shorter chapters)

I would like for him to start on MindBenders but there simply isn't time.  He's also "supposed" to be starting a second language- French- but I can't even get in what is above that adding more seems crazy.  I don't know how to ever get this child to do French.

9yo, 4th grade:

Grammar- Rod and Staff- two-3 lessons at a time, every other day (1/2 hour or so total)

Writing- WWE- 2 lessons each day- one narration, one dictation to keep skills up and ready for WWS next year

Geography- Expedition Earth- 1x per week, 1-2 hours.  (done with sibling and the program is quite enjoyed by both)

I add in 1/2 hour of required reading but I admit that the above takes so long that she doesn't always get around to assigned reading

She is supposed to be doing French but is only 8 lessons in because we can never find the time and start Latin this year but I can't find the time to add this in either.  Same for Logic books.  When the heck to build those skills?

12yo, 7th grade:

Mapping the World with Art- we aim for 2-3 lessons per week (not done on days history is done)

I am not happy that I am not getting to Logic with the kids at all.  All those thinking skills, which they are lacking in, I can't get to.  But there are not enough hours in a day and I don't know what to cut out.  Latin, French are not getting done and that really bothers me.  I should start the day with Latin but then other things don't get done and I'm having a tough time with prioritizing it all.  I spent somewhere in the ballpark of $600 on BJU science this year, including the online lessons and all the lab materials so she needs to get through that program or that will have been an epic waste.

I barely have time to read aloud to them.  The only time I can is during lunch but only if I don't eat.  There are no free afternoons.  We start at 9 and go until supper.  The kids drag things out like crazy and each day feels so... bleh.  Crafts, documentaries, fun board games, who has time for any of that?  Free reading?  Not in our house.  I wish I had time to do read alouds but when?????  I also have a few who are K and under that I need to tend to.

What am I doing wrong??  I don't think any of these subjects are "extra" in that they don't need to learn them.  How can I never do history or geography with them?  My kids didn't know where most countries are and I found that abysmal.  I am teaching them slowly and they are getting a better grasp at geography but that is coming at a cost of second language.

My oldest really needs to work on her critical thinking skills but we never have time to get around to that.

What on earth?  They are learning, but man, how to fix this.  I feel like we do so much but at the same time I feel like we do so little.  I can't sort through the fog of it all.

JMHO, of course:-)

For the 7yo:

English - Rod and Staff- one lesson daily

Science- RSO Chem. Not every day. A couple of times a week, no longer than an hour. If you can't make lessons fit in an hour, then I'd look for something else. He's just 7.

History/geography: I'd pick something you can do a couple of times a week, for no longer than half an hour at a time. He's just 7.

I wouldn't require a 7yo to read. I'd still be reading aloud to him, and making sure he has free time and lots of books to choose from...if he wants to.

For the 9yo:

Cursive- 15 min practice per day [is she just learning cursive? Because otherwise I wouldn't expect someone who already knows cursive to have specific time set aside for practice, as she should be doing all her other written subjects in cursive]

[For a 9yo? An hour of writing *a day*? This is way too much. Way, way too much.]

Instead, one lesson from R&S English daily, written, not oral. Or WWE. That is all.

Geography- Expedition Earth- 1x per week, 1-2 hours.  (done with sibling and the program is quite enjoyed by both) [Then do this with both the 9yo and the 7yo and drop the history. Maybe take two days, an hour at a time, for a lesson?]

Drop the required reading.

French/Latin: No.

For the 12yo

[i would expect these two to take no more than an hour a day, combined.]

Reading- CLE Reading- one book per month (only 5 books) [i would expect total time for these two to be no more than an hour a day]

History- Only half an hour? That's less time than your 7yo is spending. :confused1:

Mapping the World with Art- we aim for 2-3 lessons per week (not done on days history is done) [i would expect history/geography to take no more than an hour a day. And choose one or the other, history or geography]

Latin/French: Pick one.

I would mostly agree with what Ellie suggested.  It seems like your younger two are spending too much time on each subject.  At that age, we don't spend more than 30 minutes a day on any subject, if that.  If a longer lesson is better for timing (for example, with science), then I would do it every other day and alternate with another subject.  I would also agree that if they're enjoying Expedition Earth, I would drop History or just do it lightly, say once a week with you, or just have them read books on their own relevant to the time period.  They have plenty of time to get more history in. 

Your 7th grader's list looks more realistic to me, and similar to what my 7th grader would do.  You don't say how long is spent on math.  I aim for about 45 minutes per subject at that age (although my 7th grader is mr. efficient and likes to get things done more quickly).  The exception to that would be language arts, which altogether (grammar, spelling, writing, vocabulary, literature) is 1 1/2 - 2 hours.

Drop typing for the 7yo.

Do grammar orally.

Drop vocab and instate read-aloud time. With discussion this could replace a reading program as well.

Pick one writing program.

Pick one foreign language.

Rotate your content subjects: science, history, geography. Do only one each day. Don't try to cram them all in every day.

Leave one day a week open for "stuff you never get to." Logic? Art? Baking? Science project? Library trip?

Ideas to streamline: 

Choose one literature program and one writing program for each student. For the student that is doing WttW, remember that it is both literature and writing. I also think that's a pretty advanced course for a 7th grader.

Expect only one lesson to be covered in any given subject each day. 

Drop grammar for your 7 yo - that's just my opinion, of course, but I don't think it's needed at this stage. 

French - Why do you want them to learn French at this age? If it's just your preference, not that they are living in or moving to an area where the language is used on a regular basis, then decide between French & Latin. Remember, they will each need two years of a second language in high school for university admissions, so they can always take it then. 

I think your science for the two younger students can be streamlined - I suggest following TWTM suggestions and do experiment kits. 

HIstory/Geography - Don't do both of these on the same day unless the two subject are integrated in the same curriculum. For the geography that takes so long, spread it out over two days instead of one. Three days on history and two on geography is very reasonable at their ages. 

Other thoughts: 

Remember the goal is to learn and to teach them how to learn, not to finish a particular curriculum. 

Everyone has gaps in their education. If they know how to learn, they will be able to fill in the gaps when/if they need or want to do so. 

IMO, Critical thinking as a subject is overrated. It is most easily learned in the context of other subjects and in the context of the world around them. If they are reading literature, history & science, discussing what they read as well as what is going on in the world around them and are learning how to put their thoughts into words (oral and in writing) in an orderly manner, they are learning critical thinking and logic skills. When you reach the high school years & if you have a student interested in speech & debate, logic can be studied as part of the preparation for that extra-curricular activity. 

Have you begun thinking about a four year high school plan for your 7th grader yet? That would help you prioritize what you need to cover with her before high school so that she is ready for those subjects and the level & type of output required to succeed in them. If you're not familiar with this process, go to the high school board and search for "four year plan" - there are several good threads w/great suggestions on how to go about this process. 

Your 7th grader's list looks more realistic to me, and similar to what my 7th grader would do.  You don't say how long is spent on math.  I aim for about 45 minutes per subject at that age (although my 7th grader is mr. efficient and likes to get things done more quickly).  The exception to that would be language arts, which altogether (grammar, spelling, writing, vocabulary, literature) is 1 1/2 - 2 hours.

And unfortunately, my 7th grader is one who struggles the most to get it all in.  :(  Math takes her usually close to an hour and a half.  It's not an easy subject for her and she has to approach it slowly and methodically or she will get everything wrong.  It is a good, no great!, day for her if she gets math done in an hour. - she will actually do a happy dance of joy if math only takes an hour.  

Some days of WWS take her a while too but others don't so I guess it averages out to about an hour each.  I have started doing grammar orally with her but sometimes I wonder how much of it really sticks.  She's not an auditory person.  Time will tell on that one. 

On paper it really looks like it should be getting done but in practice, I don't know what is going on.  She's diligent and motivated and wants to get her work done.  Something is off.  I would very much like for her to be doing formal Logic and getting that Latin done but she shuns it.  I try to pay attention to what is going on but with so many kids to keep an eye on at all times things are slipping through the cracks. 

7yo, grade 2: 

Math 50 min day

LA 20- 30 min a day

Grammar- Rod and Staff- one lesson every other day=15 min

Spelling- AAS- one lesson every other day 15-20 min

Reading- CLE 2 reading - one lesson per day If this is phonics I'd quit if not I'd drop- 15- 30 min

Alternate Days- 30 min daily is sufficient for this age

Science 2 days- History 2 day- Geography 1 days- 1 hr is sufficient for content at this age!

Geography- Expedition Earth- 1x per week, 1-2 hours.  

Reading in afternoon or morning when working one-on one w/ others

9yo, 4th grade:  4- 4.5 hrs per day (plus reading in the afternoons)

Math 65 min

LA- 30 min a day

Grammar- Rod and Staff- two-2 lessons at a time, every other day4 days a week- 15-20 min

Vocabulary- One day a week

I think that this is too much writing- I would do 1 hr tops. Personally I do WWE w/ WR1 and I do one WR Lesson a week, which is usually about 3 days- 45 min a day and then 1 day of WWE work-2lessons- 30-45 minutes.

Science 2 days- 2hr- Geography 1 day- 2hrs, History - 1 day- 1-2 hrs

12yo, 7th grade: 5.5-6 hrs a day

1.5 hr day

15 min day

1 hr day

1 hr a day 

Content- 2  hrs day

History- 

I'd personally cut out the reading programs unless they are phonics and spend that time doing read-alouds of good books. Stop worrying about what you're not doing you need to get your basic schedule down before you try to add anything.

I'd buy some strategy games and such to work on thinking skills.

Your work is really skewed imo, you have a much longer schedule for the little ones than the older one. I'd personally aim for about 1 hr per grade but if the content work is enjoyed and working I'd keep that but they do not need so long on writing. 

Some days of WWS take her a while too but others don't so I guess it averages out to about an hour each.  I have started doing grammar orally with her but sometimes I wonder how much of it really sticks.  She's not an auditory person.  Time will tell on that one. 

On paper it really looks like it should be getting done but in practice, I don't know what is going on.  She's diligent and motivated and wants to get her work done.  Something is off.  I would very much like for her to be doing formal Logic and getting that Latin done but she shuns it.  I try to pay attention to what is going on but with so many kids to keep an eye on at all times things are slipping through the cracks. 

plaine jane, this sounds a lot like my oldest dd was at this age. She's now in college and doing very well, but at that age, I just felt something wasn't right. How could such a smart kid take so long to do her work? Why isn't she remembering these things we went over? It turns out she has auditory processing disorder mixed in with other processing issues that slow her down. 

This might not be your dd's situation at all but your description resonated with me. I wish I had followed my instinct and looked into getting a evaluation before high school. When high school came, she became really swamped and that caused her a lot of stress. It would have helped to understand her issues as I started planning high school.

It's not about intelligence; it's about other things going on that affect her working speed. I'd be curious about what your dd's handwriting is like. Is she clumsy at all?

My 7and 8 yo only do 3 hrs of seat work a day.

Mon-Thurs

SpellWell... 1 page a day

FLL2... 1 lesson a day

WWE2... 1 lesson a day

ETC... 2 pages a day

MM2... 1-2 pages a day

Aesop/poetry... 1 a day

Literature... 30 min (tandem read a classic like Charlotte's Web)

Science... 30 min every other day

History... 30 min every other day

Reading... 15 min a day (they read leveled readers aloud to me)

I am adding in Handwriting and logic as soon as the books get here. Handwriting will be a Mon-Thurs sheet, but Logic will be a Friday activity along with Life of Fred and our other extras like nature walk or experiments/ crafts, etc... We do math drills orally in the car when we go places, and the girls have several math apps that they play like Math Blaster and Mystery Math on their own time. Art is an outside class on Thursdays. I include map work in history and science as I am able; it's not separate. I plan to add Geography, Spanish and Music (which i will alternate) next year. This will put them up to 4 hours a day then.

My dd12 does 5-6 hours of seat work a day. 4 hrs done during "school" and the rest as "homework".

MM6... 1-2 pages a day 4x

LoF... 2 chapters 1x

AG... 1 exercise a day (1 unit takes a week) 5x

WWS1... As directed but no more than an hour so some assignments are split into 2 days 4-5x

Vocab... 30 min 3x

Science... 1 hr 5x (includes lesson and supplemental reading) 5x

History... 1 hr 5x (includes lesson and supplemental reading) 5x

Literature... 30 min (read classics such as White Fang and do book report when done) 4x

Aesop/poetry... 1 a day 4x alternating

Typing/logic... 30 min 4x alternating

Art, Spanish, Geography, Music is the same as her sisters.

These schedules give us a full 4 days and then a lighter 5th day to make room for any extras or catch-up. Dd7&8 typically work at one thing no more than 15 min then we switch it up. The exception is math which is a straight 30 min. Dd12 typically works at 1 thing for 30-45 min before its switched up with math being the exception which is a straight 45min-1hr.

I have some similar issues with getting it all done, but for different reasons (my Aspie can argue and spend all day nesting to get his environment just right). I can speak to RSO Chemistry though!

Science is big in our house, but it is hard to get it done. RSO is not hard, but it can be time-consuming. I would do my best to arrange a science slot that you do one time per week and get a lot done at once. This requires some organization, but it's not unusual for there to be more than one lab you can run at one time. Anything that involves a timer and checking back can be run simultaneously with another experiment or emptying the dishwasher, or whatever you want to put in there.

You do not need to do every experiment or demonstration. Some of them are time consuming and not always worth it. Many can be modified. For instance, the big, long, drawn-out, make atoms from marshmallows lab that could take a couple of session? We used little circle stickers that came in three colors. Bam, done in a very short timeframe, and no worries about upsetting the pages and pages of marshmallows by accident. Crystals made from Epsom salts? Do it the night before, or get a crystal growing tree for a couple of bucks through Rainbow. If your child understands a concept through dialog, skip the lab if you can. Muffins that don't rise because you leave out the baking soda? Assign the kids dessert some night. Don't bake half the muffins without soda. Take out enough dough for one or two flat muffins, and let them make dessert and science at the same time.

PM me if you have specific questions about how to tailor the RSO chemistry.

Another thing we do is spend more time on each subject and do it less often--we do have fewer subjects (no language or logic). It's not foolproof, but if I did so many subjects per day with my son, he'd be a wreck (we do about 4 per day). And, he doesn't switch from "wordy" mindset to "mathy" mindset very well, so we'll often do those lessons on different days. We're still feeling our way with this. Oh, and we do less repetition, greater conceptual difficulty. That doesn't work for all, but it works for both of my slow-paced, inefficient kids. They learn more math and grammar that way.

If I'm totally off here then just disregard. I just "hear" certain things in your post that make me think that simply altering how much you do isn't going to help long term.

Gently...I think you need to pinpoint what is motivating you to have such high expectations for the number of subjects you are trying to do with your dc, especially the youngest.  Are you worried about their testing scores (if you have to test)? Do you have family pressuring you to do more?  Are you planning to put them into ps or private school at some point and are worried about them not being behind the school's expectations?  Are you afraid that others will look down on you or think you are a bad homeschooler if your dc have some gaps?  Are you trying to keep up with the Jones's so to speak with other homeschoolers around you?  In your post I'm seeing a lot of this child needs to be doing this, this child needs to be doing that.  According to who?  To what end? For example - 2 languages is a wonderful goal but why at 7 years old and why both at the same time?  Latin helps with many other subjects but unless your goal is for him to be able to read original texts in middle school is there a reason to be pushing it at 7? Why the panic to have them all doing French?  Is your end goal worth the frustration and pressure you place on yourself and your dc? 

Reducing the amount of work for your dc isn't going to fix the underlying problem of unrealistic expectations, and so the cycle is likely to repeat. Many times I've talked to homeschoolers about reducing an over-filled schedule.  They take the advice of setting time limits for subjects, doing only 1 program for each subject, easing up on the rigor for the very young, allowing time for interests and fun....only to be back to doing too much 4 months later.  They would justify adding this back in because it only takes 15 minutes, and they added that back in because neighbor kid is reading better, and they added another of this because they were seeing gaps that they didn't want to wait to fill in the following years, oh and don't forget to add that back in because even though dc hate it and consequently they aren't really learning anything from it, list B, book C or homeschooling friend  said that this really needs to be learned at this age.  It's frustrating for them because their expectations are never, never met.  They keep moving the bar higher and higher until it crashes, then they start the cycle again.

Again, if you really don't have expectations that constantly exceed reality and you've simply added too much in your enthusiasm for teaching your dc, then disregard the above.  I don't mean it at all as an attack on you...just some questions to ask yourself to maybe help you get back to making the focus your kids and not the program or even the goal. 

7yo, grade 2:

I'd drop this for right now. 

I agree with Ellie here.  One lesson per day.  I've never used Rod & Staff, so can't comment on that; but, AAS shouldn't take more than 30 minutes.  I'd probably drop grammar.

Pick just one writing program. 

He's seven.  Drop to 30 minutes to 1 hour 1 to 2 times per week. 

See above re:  science.  Adjust for interest - so, 30 minutes twice a week or so

I'd change this to 1X per week for no more than 1 hour.

I understand having olders and littles (I have 6:  12 down to 15 months) and needing time to deal with them.  I think a half hour of assigned reading is fine if your 7 yo can handle it.  Otherwise, drop the time to 10-15 minutes and add in read aloud time.

In my not so humble opinion, critical thinking is over rated for this age group.  Sure, if you have the time and he enjoys it - go for it.  Otherwise, encourage puzzles, tangrams, etc.  Personally, I wouldn't worry about French at all right now. 

9yo, 4th grade:

Why does this take so long?  Even if your 9 yo is still learning cursive I'd probably drop the time to 5-10 minutes.

Pick 1 lit program or just assign good books to read.

This seems like an awful lot for a 9 yo.  Writing for an hour a day?  My 12 yo would balk at that and he's not writing phobic.  My 9 yo does AAS every day (20 minutes), Classical Writing Aesop evey day (20-30 minutes), and she currently learns grammar through Latin.  So, for your child I'd think about R&S 1 lesson every day OR WWE.

I'd probably plan science 2X per week at 30 minutes to an hour each session.

Then don't do it every day.  :001_smile:  I'd combine the 7 yo & 9 yo in history & geography and limit the time to 1/2 hour per subject.

I'm OK with the assigned reading.  Maybe have the 9 yo read aloud to the 7 yo for 10 minutes or so.

Again, logic is fine if you have the time.  You don't; so, drop it without guilt.  I'd work on getting the9 yo's school work routine down before adding a foreign language.

12yo, 7th grade:

Again, I'd pick 1 lit program.

Just pick one.  Or wait until high school.

Ugh!  $600?!  I hear you on wanting that to work!  Good luck.  I don't use BJU - is this a program that your dd picked?  Or what was your reason for picking it? (Please don't read any snark into that question. Maybe if you think about that question, you can figure out a way to accomplish what you need to accomplish in science without spending tons of time.  Even at 12 science labs are more gravy than necessary.)

I barely have time to read aloud to them.  The only time I can is during lunch but only if I don't eat.  There are no free afternoons.  We start at 9 and go until supper.  The kids drag things out like crazy and each day feels so... bleh.  Crafts, documentaries, fun board games, who has time for any of that?  Free reading?  Not in our house.  I wish I had time to do read alouds but when?????  I also have a few who are K and under that I need to tend to.  The kids get a novel read to them at bed time so that's about 30-45 min of reading most nights.  But just today, my 7yo told me he doesn't even know the story of LIttle Red Riding Hood.  :scared:   I totally feel like an awful mother.   :(  :thumbdown:  So many gaps despite my trying so hard. 

You'd only be an awful mother if you didn't care about your kids and their educations.  You obviously care very much.  Read alouds are important and I understand trying to fit them in around meals, littles, nap times, attitudes, etc.  You can only do what you can do.  I personally don't worry about crafts (blech), board games, etc.  Documentaries are hit-or-miss.  Perhaps look into downloading books for the kids to listen to for read aloud time.

I think you're confusing content subjects and skills subjects.  Skills subjects (in my house these are math, spelling, Latin, CW) are done everyday.  Content subjects (history, science, logic, geography, etc) are done once or twice a week. 

My 7 yo's work takes approx 2 hours per day.  We're not super efficient; we just emphasize different things.  Math, phonics/reading, spelling are his priorities.  History and science are exposure level only and gravy.

My 9 yo's work takes approx 3-4 hours per day.  For her math, reading, spelling, CW, Latin are hit every day.  History & science are covered once, maybe twice a week.

My 12's work takes 5-6 hours per day (depending on the prevailing attitudes).  His skills subjects are math, spelling, Latin, CW, and reading.  His content subjects are literature, history, and  science.

My 7 & 9 yo's are combined in spelling.  My 7, 9, & 10 yo's are combined in history.  My 9 & 10 yo's are combined in science.

I think your kids' schedules have a lot of redundancy in them.  Perhaps you could remove a lot of that and your schedule would be more do-able.

I agree with a lot of the other suggestions: less time writing and formal reading programs, more time snuggled on the couch reading great books (and fairy tales are included in that!). 

Having said that, I do totally empathize with the desire to fit everything in, and finding no time to do that.  Something that has really worked for us in terms of logic/thinking skills, is that we keep logic types of books in the car.  The kids know they're supposed to complete a couple of pages of those each week, and sometimes I'll say "oh hey, while I run in to the store, you guys can work on your puzzles!" That generally goes over pretty well.  Same for bringing a kid to the dentist, or any other down time.  We balance that with audio books on long car trips, and classical music stuff for short ones.  If history is important to you, maybe you get the Story of the World audiobooks from your library and listen to those in the car?  That way they're getting it in, but you can focus on the geography bit with them instead. 

Also, are they getting enough breaks and all that?  I know that for me, I often get into a cycle where their behavior gets worse and worse, and I want to pull my hair out b/c they don't get their work done.  After a week of this, I'll realize that I'm still sending them outside "when they're finished with the first 3 things" instead of "after an hour."  I try to go by the clock a little more now.  At 10, we stop for a snack and something physical.  By 10:20 or 10:30 we're at it again, until we stop for lunch around noon.  After that they have rest hour, usually till about 1:30.  THEN we finish up some work if it didn't get done in the morning (though my younger two almost always have it done - we're still in deschooling mode for ds).

Thanks for posting this OP! I have had the same struggle and thanks to all the great suggestions you received, I have successfully chopped 7 hours out of my daughter's school week. Needless to say, my kids basically got a day off today due to the time it took to tweak the schedule ;) Let tomorrow be a new and more productive day!

I deleted the things in your plan that I think are overkill. IMO, you are doing too much.   For the second grader I would focus on learning to read, math, writing, basic grammar.  I'd let him/her tag along with the others for science or history but not require it.   I would totally eliminate the CLE reading for everyone, I don't see the point in it (personal opinion).  You need to decide what your goal is for homeschooling.  For our family, developing a true love of learning is a prime goal.  If my kids had to do this much school, they definitely not love learning.   Our afternoons are mostly free to do music lessons or just let them play.  I'll do a separate post for our schedule.

7yo, grade 2:

Writing- WWE- 2 lessons each day- one narration, one copywork or dictation - 1/2 hour each day  I would do one lesson a day, or two lessons twice a week.

Delete science -- do some fun reading alouds for science or let him tag along with olders

History- try for 1/2 hour each day, not a subject of interest  Do 30 minutes twice a week or just listen in on older kids

9yo, 4th grade:

Pick ONE writing program and do it.  An hour a day is a lot.  We do IEW.  I teach a lesson for about 45 minutes on Monday, then they do the rest.  It takes 2 hours total for the whole week.

Science- RSO Chem. try for 1 hour each day but sometimes this gets dragged out and I can't quit mid lesson   Block schedule with history.  Do history 2 times a week then Science 2 times a week

12yo, 7th grade:

Here is what our day looks like:

1st grader:

HWT  2 time each week.

Rod and Staff 2nd grade spelling, 2 x per week

Explode the Code -- daily

20 minutes reading quietly daily

Math U See Beta daily

Can tag along for Apologia Science and History read alouds if she'd like.

Total 1.5 hours a day

4th grader

Math Mammoth - daily - 9 pages per week

IEW - 2 hours total per week (I teach one day, then assign the writing lesson.  They do the rough draft, I edit, then they do the final draft.)

Latin -- 2 days per week

History-- Mystery of History 3 lessons a week (I read aloud) SOTW, 2 chapters on audio book

History -- assigned reading 20 minutes 3 times per week

Spelling - 1 lesson a week

FLL - 3 lessons per week

Apologia science -- I read aloud 2 times per week.  No written work or activities for this.

Editing work book- 5 minutes per day

HWT- cursive

6th grader

Math Mammoth - daily - 9 pages per week

IEW - 2 hours total per week (I teach one day, then assign the writing lesson.  They do the rough draft, I edit, then they do the final draft.)

Latin -- 2 days per week

History-- Mystery of History 3 lessons a week (I read aloud) SOTW, 2 chapters on audio book

History -- assigned reading 20 minutes 3 times per week

Spelling - 1 lesson a week divided into 3 days

Saxon grammar - 5 lessons per week.

Apologia science -- I read aloud 2 times per week.  No written work or activities for this.  She read an additional science text and takes notes.

Editing work book- 5 minutes per day

History outlining- 1 time each week

The two older kids do co-op classes which require about 45 minutes of homework each week as well.  All three take music lessons and practice daily. 

I had to add more to my 6th grader this semester, because she was finishing too quickly.  She is an extremely fast reader, so she is still done sooner than I'd expect (if math is easy that day) but I am okay with that.

I have too many subjects to get done in a 5 day week.  I have to do 180 days (36 weeks) per my state regulations.

Instead of doing 36 5-day weeks, I do 30 6-day cycles.  They are both 180 days of school.

I broke down our "days" into letters.  We have an A, B, C, D, E, and F day.  That's different from a Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday.  I have 6 days to spread out my subjects into, while a traditional week only allows 5 days to spread my subjects into.  I have a different schedule for each lettered day.  

If we start Monday on an A day, then we end with an E day on Friday.  The next Monday we start with F day and then Tuesday starts the next 6-day cycle with an A day.

Many things are done daily (grammar, spelling, bible, math, reading, writing,)

But other subjects are broken out differently.  For example, Art is done twice a cycle on A day and D day.  History is done on A, C, and E day and Science is done on B, D, and F day.  This means that sometimes we have History 3 times a week and Science only twice, but the next week we have Science 3 times a week and History is only twice.  We cycle through.  

Other subjects are done once a cycle like Etiquette, Logic, and Music.  Some weeks one of those subjects won't get done (since I have a 6 day cycle and only 5 days in the week.)  But I am ok with the fact that at the end of the year the will have had only 30 Etiqutte, Logic, and Music lessons instead of 36.  If I didn't do it this way I would have to drop an entire subject, so I've made my peace with doing some subjects only 30 times instead of 36.  

If I get really antsy about those extra 6 lessons, I will do them in the summer.

I am able to fit in the core subjects daily plus I have an extra day in the cycle for extracurriculars.  

Note:  We take about 6-7 hours a day on school.  It's still a long day, but I know we're getting it all done.  My son also takes 1-1.5 hours on math.  Sigh.  And they both take FOREVER to write.  

You are spending entirely too much time on "formal" curriculum based schooling!  I agree with many of the above suggestions.  But you first and foremost to make a list of what is MOST important to you and go from there.  We only do Science and Social Studies 2 days a week each!  Most public schools (at least in CA and AZ) are lucky to do those subjects ONCE a week...and many times it's ONLY when incorporated with other language arts lessons!  Find ways to combine subjects...it'll save time and frustration!

I broke down our "days" into letters. We have an A, B, C, D, E, and F day. That's different from a Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday. I have 6 days to spread out my subjects into, while a traditional week only allows 5 days to spread my subjects into. I have a different schedule for each lettered day.

If we start Monday on an A day, then we end with an E day on Friday. The next Monday we start with F day and then Tuesday starts the next 6-day cycle with an A day.

Many things are done daily (grammar, spelling, bible, math, reading, writing,)

Garga, I have pondered a similar idea. If you have more details to share, I would love to hear about them. Hopefully, the OP will too...not trying to hijack the thread :)

I'll just comment on the 2nd and 4th grader because I have the same grades. These are just my observations. I think your two biggest time suckers are science and writing.

2nd Grader:

Typing-don't think is necessary for a 2nd grader

Writing-I'd pick one program, and why the doubling up on WWE?

Science-I would only do this a couple times per week. 5 hours a week is way overkill IMO.

History/Geography-If you guys like your geography so much, then focus less on history.

French-it wouldn't even be on my radar for a 2nd grader

4th Grader:

Writing-I'd pick one program or alternate, and again why the doubling up on WWE?

CLE Reading 4-we do 2-3 lessons per week

Vocabulary-I would drop it....you already have some vocabulary in CLE and probably in your novel study

Grammar: Why are you doubling up on R&S grammar? It's a solid program. I'd go through it normal pace, and if it only takes a few minutes, then that's time freed up for the other things you want to do.

Science & History-same as above

French-I think if you lighten up on some of these other things, you could probably work in some French.

Logic-I wouldn't worry about it for a 4th grader

For my 4th grader this year, we are using WWE 4 and Classical Composition, alternating between the two. We'll spend two weeks on a lesson in Classical Composition, and then we'll spend the next week doing 4 narrations in WWE4. We don't do the dictation exercises because it's not what my DD needs to work on. At the end of the year, we of course won't be done with either curriculum, but that's okay. CC says that some lessons should be reserved for later years, and WWE4 is just a review of skills in previous levels.

CLE Reading 4 lessons can be time-consuming. We do 2-3 lessons per week. The weeks we do 3 is when there is a quiz or test, and then we do that on Friday.

I hope this helps...

Garga, I have pondered a similar idea. If you have more details to share, I would love to hear about them. Hopefully, the OP will too...not trying to hijack the thread :)

I have my excel charts that would show you how it all works, but whenever I try to cut and paste them into a post they turn into a long list down the page instead of spreading out into columns.  If you give me your email address, I can send you the charts I have showing how I break everything out.  But I understand if you're not comfortable with that.  

Or if you know how to get a chart into a post you could tell me how. 

I have my excel charts that would show you how it all works, but whenever I try to cut and paste them into a post they turn into a long list down the page instead of spreading out into columns.  If you give me your email address, I can send you the charts I have showing how I break everything out.  But I understand if you're not comfortable with that.  

Or if you know how to get a chart into a post you could tell me how. 

Save the excel file as a pdf and upload as an attachment instead of copying into the post.

We live by the idea that it is better to do fewer things really well than to do a lot of things poorly or haphazardly.  For us, it is better to do away with logic, two or more curriculum choices for  several subjects, 2 languages etc. in order to make sure what do complete is done well.

I might have missed this, but is there a reason you are doing both WWE and Bible Heroes with your 7 year old? It seems that you should do one or the other, not both. But maybe it's because I don't have a good grasp of what WWE entails. I am doing FLL 2 with my 6 and 8 year old, and it includes dictation, grammar, etc. It only takes 15-20 minutes a day. If you can find a way to consolidate the R&S grammar and WWE components, that could easily save you a half hour. 

Only looked at the 2nd grader so far. This is what I see... Take it for what it is worthĂ°Å¸Ëœâ‚¬

Not sure why you are doing 2 writing programs with a second grader. That seems like a lot to me. No need to double up in WWE either. That would leave you time for other things that you might get more bang out of.

An hour of science every day is a lot for that age as well. I agree with the pp who said to alternate science and history days. Many people do 3 days of history and 2 days of science, but if you have a science living kid who isn't a history buff, it would be totally appropriate to switch that around.

I would get whatever Mindbenders type books you might think would be good and - hold your breath - let them be things he does for fun. At this age, he really doesn't need a logic program.

As for French, unless you have a specific need to incorporate that and you have a native speaker for him to talk to, I would put it off for a few more years. Much of that "getting them started early" theory is based on being able to converse daily and helps mostly with pronunciation. If you have that available, great. If not, allow yourself the time to build his English skills first. Then, when he has English grammar, vocab, etc. more firmly in his mind, French grammar etc. may be less of a battle.

I think sometimes it is easy to get caught up in what we should do. Sometimes - when I go down that road;-) - I look at the outcome I am expecting from what I am doing and which way is the most efficient to get there. I also have to look at the foundation first and then work my way up. You are already doing that by making reading a priority. Just apply that logic to your other subjects and you will be using your already wise mind:-) to adjust your schedule so it works for you... Cuz that is important too.

I also just looked through the rest of your post. Wow, lady, sounds like you need a hug, so here is one:-)

I see moving down that you are doubling up on grammar. Is there a reason for that? If not, just schedule one lesson per day. I totally think grammar is important, but one lesson three times per week is definitely enough for all of those ages. Rod and Staff is definitely a good choice, so I would just not try to cram so much in.

For your olders, you might want to do the science and history alternate days as well. Do you have them all working in the same time period? If not, that might be an option for change. It would allow you to focus your read aloud choices, be involved in history, open up family discussion time, etc.

Also, pick one writing program for your 4th. Those are both strong programs, no need at all to do both. No wonder you are tired:-). I know it is hard. I am like that too, I want to get something out of each program, so why not do both? But, it really burns you out... And the kiddos:-)

Also, if you have a foot dragger, you may want to set up their day such that you work with them only a specific period of time, then they have checkpoints for each subject. Beyond that, they have homework which they have to do ON THEIR OWN TIME. For instance, give a reasonable time for math, when they hit that, make them move in to another subject with the understanding that they will finish math at free time. Then, if they take all day, it doesn't thrown a wrench in your day... It throws a wrench in theirs. It is hard to be disciplined in this, but once they see you are serious, they will start to manage their time more thoughtfully.

As far as logic goes, you should now have time to add this in for the 7th grader. Don't worry about this yet for the others. I would get all of these changes in so that they become habit by the end of the school year. Then you will see if you have the ability to add in a language for your olders starting with the next school year. Laying the foundation and expectations will probably be very valuable to peace of mind, as well as productivity:-)

In all honesty, every time I've tried to sneak in an extra subject, I just can't do it.  My kids and my teaching style are limited to 5 subjects across 5 hours.  Math, English, History, Science and Geography is all I can do.  Some subjects like geography end up being done in 15 minutes, but that's fine since math and history inevitably take an hour and a half.  English includes writing/grammar/literature but not on the same day... Any more than the 5 subjects and one of them gets dropped.  You might want to reduce the workload and simplify by finding out how many classes you can be consistent about.

For grade 2:

I'd drop the CLE Reading unless phonics instruction is still needed. (ETA: Since you're doing AAS, even the phonics in CLE Reading isn't necessary)

I'd limit AAS to 20 minutes a day - you pick up where you left off the previous day. Don't worry about how long a lesson should last. Just do 20 minutes daily and be consistent with it.

I'd drop IEW for this age. WWE is plenty. I also did 2 WWE lessons in a day (oral narration plus copywork or dictation), so I'm cool with that. That gives you just 2-3 days of "writing". Alternately, you could use history/science sentences as your copywork and do oral narrations in those subjects and during read-aloud time (of some good fiction).

I can't imagine spending 1 hour every day on science at 7 years old... Drop some experiments. Pick and choose what you'll do. Chemistry at 7 year old is for exposure, so it really doesn't need an hour every single day. We probably spend an hour per week on science in my house, including any experiments. :tongue_smilie:

Drop history to 2 days per week, and make it more interesting - good library picture books, that sort of thing. My 7 year old gets history about 2 days per week, and that's using TOG.

Geography is fine, but I'd keep it to an hour per week. I can't imagine spending 2 hours on geography? I'd also give him some ipad games. Stack the States is great for US geography. I'm sure there are probably apps for countries too. I also don't expect a 7 year old to know lots of countries. If they can pick out the US, Canada, and maybe Mexico, I'm happy. They have YEARS to learn their countries.

Your reading time is fine. I did the same thing at that age with my oldest. It took the place of any kind of "reading program".

Get the Mindbenders and let him do them on his own for fun. I bought Grid Perplexors for my oldest. He LOVES them. He goes in spurts, sometimes not touching them for months, and sometimes doing a whole book in a few weeks. This is not a part of school time at all. I just handed him the books to do whenever he feels like it.

I'm not sure why he's "supposed" to be starting French? Do you live in Quebec or something?

4th grade:

Drop cursive and make all other writing in cursive (assuming letter formation has been learned).

R&S English - why multiple lessons? Is this child placed correctly? If it's so easy that 3 lessons can be done in one day, you may need to bump up a level.

Vocabulary - why? If you read aloud and they are reading, they will learn vocabulary. A program really isn't necessary.

I'd drop CLE Reading.

Writing - pick one and spend 30 minutes a day on it. I can't imagine my 4th grader spending an hour a day on writing, let alone the hour+ that you're doing, using two programs every day!

Science - same as 2nd grader.

History - same as 2nd grader. Also give some interesting history books to do for independent reading.

Geography - same as 2nd grader.

Assigned reading - At this stage, my 4th grader has assigned history and literature for school, but I do not have assigned reading time outside of that. He reads a lot anyway, but I also think he's old enough to read to learn instead of reading for learning to read. You already have novel study, so that would be your assigned reading each week.

French - same as 2nd grader.

Latin - Put it off for now, until you can refocus your priorities. (we use Lively Latin, which my 4th grader does independently for about 15-30 minutes each day, but it's one of his favorite subjects... it's not a hill I'd die on)

I won't give much advice for the 7th grader, as I do not have a child that age yet, but I do wonder if splitting up her math time would be beneficial? If she's working over an hour on math, maybe you should have her work 45 minutes on math, switch to another subject, then come back to math later in the day to finish up (maybe right after lunch when she's well fed?). There is a point for most kids where nothing really gets done the longer they spend on it, and sometimes cutting the subject short before then and coming back later will shorten the overall time spent on math. Overall, her time spent on other subjects seems more reasonable than the younger two kids.

I totally understand not being able to fit in everything you want to do. I've often boggled at the lists of subjects and things other people on here put on their planning lists when we have those each year. ("What's your X-grader doing next year?") I asked how people fit everything in. My kids are apparently under-achievers or we (including myself) have time management issues.  :lol:

If I want my kids to do more, I'd have to clone myself.

I think you've gotten some great advice. I will say that I've gotten to where I have to drop something for kids sometimes (or put it off until the next year) when it just doesn't FIT into the day. That meant Writing Tales 1 went out the window for dd#2 this year and I didn't even try to schedule Growing With Grammar for my dd#3. They are FULL. What they have allows them free time and when the day is done, we are all done.

Now, dd#1 has a set amount of work I've planned out for each week & she has a checklist. She can determine to a large extent what she wants to do, how long she wants to spend on it, and when she wants to do it. (At her request, I put together a 'suggested schedule' that shows how she can get everything done each week. She mostly ignores it.) It is her "fault" when the end of the week comes & she isn't done with her work. I've built in some safeties - lighter weeks for math where she only has four assignments to complete instead of five or this week when she also has only one writing assignment (instead of three or four) and then it says, "Catch up." I figured she'd need it by now. She did; she was an entire week behind on her WWS assignments! This has taken some easing into & doesn't work great all the time, so buyer beware! 

Good luck with cutting down on the scheduling. FWIW, I'd ask the kids which things they wanted to continue where you decide to cut from two programs down to one. And, I've NEVER been able to do both history & science in the same day.  :hat:

I totally understand not being able to fit in everything you want to do. I've often boggled at the lists of subjects and things other people on here put on their planning lists when we have those each year. ("What's your X-grader doing next year?") I asked how people fit everything in. My kids are apparently under-achievers or we (including myself) have time management issues.  :lol:

I'm actually been using more resources as time goes on, not less, even though when I started I didn't want to be one of *those* hs'ers :) However, as time has went on our wants and needs have become more nuanced and I have a hard time finding any one program that meets all our needs. So, I tweak, heavily. I cut and add and modify. I don't think I'm using anything exactly 100% out of the box. I'm not doing the writing in MCT, I'm pulling what I want from WWE- doing about half of it and WR1 were doing almost all but I skip the copywork/dictation due to our work in WWE. I feel more confident now to drop things though and when we first started I had a hard time picking and choosing so I'd end up trying to do too much. Now I sometimes work on a time limit or sometimes on amount of work accomplished. So, I think using multiple programs works for then great but if it is only creating stress then pick one program and be confident in that choice.

Very quick reply :)

I would rotate history/geography & science, not doing both every day (2 days a week each). I would lessen the writing assignments & focus composition on what they are learning in science and history. I would let assigned reading take place at bedtime, keeping a book basket available of pre-approved books. I would not do any science, history, or writing on Fridays. Instead, use that as a flex day to fit in more fun things or focus on things that need extra attention.

If the 7 year old is reading then he can be doing science, history, reading, spelling, and writing all on his own. You get a stack of library books in history and science then say "pick five to read and writing me a two to three sentence narration". Help him organize his thoughts, spell words, and dictate them to a piece of paper. (This works for your 9 year old too).

If he's not reading then why is he typing, spelling, writing, or learning Latin/French?

Then spend time with that older child. Sounds like she needs attention. Some building blocks might have been missed or not solid.

Highs too. I am a pusher and don't want to say I didn't do enough for my children too.

By the way $600! Wow that's almost a mortgage payment for one subject and one year! Wow!