Menu

Experience flying with pet dog? Pros and cons?

quark

We are considering flying from CA to NY in summer and are wondering about bringing our dachshund mix 5yo rescue (about 15lb) with us. Any experience to share? We are considering a soft carrier in the cabin itself if possible. Do you know which airlines permit such things/ are easier to work with? I'm reading up on various websites but thought I will ask you guys too.

We will of course look into boarding options too. Just trying to weigh pros and cons of bringing him with us.

I flew with two cats (one is 14 pounds) and despite all my stress it was super easy.

I booked my ticket (united) and booked a ticket for the cats at the same time. There is a limit if how many animals can be in the cabin.

At the airport we went into a tiny room, took the cats out of their carriers so they could be inspected and we were done.

The large cat fit under the seat but not with a lot of room to spare. It was a 4 hour flight and they were fine.

They must stay in carrier under the seat during the whole flight.

Sparkly, we've stayed in hotels with him before. I booked through bringfido.com :)

Not sure exactly where in NY yet...still in the planning stages. :)

Thanks everyone, please keep experiences coming, I'd like to get as many thoughts as possible. I don't know if our guy will stay still for the flight time. I don't think he'll be happy about it...but I'm wondering if it will be better than the stress of leaving him at a dog hotel/ kennel or employing a dog sitter/ walker.

I wouldn't board him, especially as a rescue. Most of those places are terrible, but the dogs can't exactly complain.

I've flown with Mr. Schmitts (beagle) and I've known others that have done the same with no problem. It would be less stressful and probably cheaper to carry him than check him.

Please don't check him as luggage. A dog just got loose at either Newark/Kennedy last week and they had to get the owner off the plane to get the dog. Thankfully it had a happy ending.

We have checked our dog as luggage many times, and it has been fine. You can't fly with them in cabin on longer flights, so that isn't an option for many people.

I wouldn't board him, especially as a rescue. Most of those places are terrible, but the dogs can't exactly complain.

I've flown with Mr. Schmitts (beagle) and I've known others that have done the same with no problem. It would be less stressful and probably cheaper to carry him than check him.

I would really like to avoid boarding him. I recently flew across the world alone, leaving kiddo at home with his dad mainly because we couldn't bring ourselves to board the little guy with all of us gone. Otherwise, kiddo and his dad would have followed me on the trip. While missing my guys, I was still so relieved knowing that our dog was home with 2/3 of his family instead of alone in a kennel. So much peace of mind. Thank you for your thoughts, I'm starting to feel a little better about this whole idea now. :)

We have checked our dog as luggage many times, and it has been fine. You can't fly with them in cabin on longer flights, so that isn't an option for many people.

Yes, so true. Longer flights require checking in the dog if I am not mistaken. CA to NY direct is about 5+ hours. I am wondering how long is too long to bring him with us in the cabin. Any good links will also be appreciated. I'll also call the airline directly to ask.

Thanks so much everyone!

Flying with pets isn't a big deal unless you have a very vocal dog.  Or a vocal seat-mate.

The main consideration will be what your plans are once you arrive.  Are you okay with walking Fido at odd hours in the city?  How much of the city do you want to see- Are you going to be away from the hotel for long periods of time?  Etc.

Many people will pet-sit on the side.  I've always found it easy to come up with a cozy in-home placement for my pets when I ask at the groomer or vet.

Are you planning to stay in a hotel or with friends? If you plan to stay in a hotel, I think your dog would be better off boarded in a kennel run by your vet or recommended by your vet.

I would not take an animal in the cabin, even if the airline permitted that. The flight attendants and the other passengers will hate you, if you do that.

My (late) Old English Sheepdog made the trip from Dallas/Ft. Worth to Cali (via connection in Miami) at the age of 12 1/2.  She did fine. I had a friend with me, he'd just retired from the airline. We checked her from DFW to MIA, picked her up at the luggage claim, so I could verify she was OK, give her water, and a very quick walk, and then a recheck from MIA to CLO. It took 2 people to do that, one to watch the crate, while we were in Miami, and then my friend took her to the First Class checkin, for flights to Europe (we were going to South America) to recheck her in Miami...

You need a Vari Kennel. If your dog is an inside dog, put it up and he will like it and go into it to rest and/or sleep. Dogs are den animals. The Vari Kennel I bought about 20 years ago is on our back porch and our dogs go into it, daily, to sleep or rest. Here's a link:

http://www.petmate.com/deluxe-vari-kennel-jr

Note: Vari Kennels are also  great, when trying to housebreak a dog or if one has a puppy who is bored, to keep them from destroying furniture.

DO NOT give your dog any tranquilizers before the flight.   NEVER! NEVER! NEVER!

You do need to make the reservation for your dog with the airline in advance, because there are a limited number of dogs that can be in the pressurized areas in the belly of the aircraft, where there is airflow.

This will be a snap, going from CA to NY, if you decide for your dog to come along with you.  GL

ETA: You will need a Health Certificate from your vet

ETA #2: Airflow and temperature control in the baggage areas where  pets can be.

My friend used to fly with her dog all the time from AK to MI......before 9/11.  Now, one thing to consider is that you need to get through security about 2 hours before a flight.  The dog would be in the carrier form that point until you land at your next point.  Even if you have a lay over, if you take the dog outside to pee, etc. you need to go through security all over again-----unless the airport has some special secure area for this.

She stopped after 9/11 as it is just too hard on the dog ot be in the crate that long.

Don't you have an pet-loving friends that you can trust with your keys? Someone close enough to let the dog out a few times a day, feed him, play with him, and text you that's he's OK and happy? I pay someone $20 a day to do this. She wanted to do it for free, but I insisted. She needs the money and it's a bargain for me. We're all happier this way. My dog is a bit too neurotic for flight and he's definitely too large to be a carry-on.

Don't you have an pet-loving friends that you can trust with your keys? Someone close enough to let the dog out a few times a day, feed him, play with him, and text you that's he's OK and happy? I pay someone $20 a day to do this. She wanted to do it for free, but I insisted. She needs the money and it's a bargain for me. We're all happier this way. My dog is a bit too neurotic for flight and he's definitely too large to be a carry-on.

Unfortunately, we don't. :P Not that I wouldn't trust my friends with my keys. Our close friends are either not experienced with dogs, not dog lovers, or their kids have allergies and all of them live an hour+ away (I drive a lot for playdates and such). We don't have family nearby. We have a sweet neighbor who might be able to help but she works outside the home for about 9-10 hours a day and leaves her dog crated for that time (her dog seems to be okay with that). Mine is used to being allowed to run about indoors and I don't think he will be able to be crated for that long, especially in a strange home. I would hate for my neighbor to be inconvenienced by any resulting bad behavior.

Thanks for all the responses. I obviously have to think through this more thoroughly than I thought!

I fly American Airlines. In more than 20 years of flying on AA with pets in the cabin (turtles, cats, dogs, rats), I've only had one negative experience - and that was back when you could still smoke in the cabin. Which was also way back when you could bring on pretty much any pet, not just cats and dogs!

I spent many years between California and New York City, and most of the flight attendants LOVED hearing there were pets on-board. They often went around and asked for peeks, and a few times invited us back to the galley so they could see our pets outside of the carrier. I flew JFK-LAX and JFK-SFO, which seemed to have the more senior crews - maybe that made the difference.

Always use a soft carrier. AA has specific requirements (nylon, mesh); other airlines probably have the same rule - check websites or call reservations. Remember that if the carrier is at your feet, you'll have nowhere to stretch out. Have a plan in place for comforting your pet if he whines or cries - the rule is that the pet needs to remain INSIDE a ZIPPED carrier. Some crews don't mind if you take out a pet, nor do some passengers. But the rule is there for a reason (and a good one, IMO) so expect to follow it. A soft carrier and some discretion may allow you to keep the pet in the carrier ON YOUR LAP with your hand inside for comfort. Bring a blanket, they usually provide them for trans-cons but not always.

The pet carrier will count as a carry-on item. AA allows one carry-on and one personal item per passenger. That kind of stinks, but if you're traveling with other people, the numbers usually even out. The agents don't care about the rule, but they care about getting caught (and fined by FAA) for not enforcing it - I usually shove my purse 1/5 of the way into my roller-board, barely inside, but they wave me down and allow it to count as "one" (with my pet carrier counting as the second piece). On-board, my roller-board goes into the bin and my purse fits just fine next to the carrier under the seat in front of me.

At security, expect to remove the pet from the carrier. The carrier will go through the x-ray machine, and the pet will go through the metal detector (in your arms). Arrive with LOTS of time to get through security. An hour before boarding (not departure) sneak back out through security (if the line doesn't look too long) with only the dog - leave his carrier, your bags, and your family on the secured side - so he can potty. AA's website has a list of "relief areas" for most airports.

I did have one time when the person I was sitting by claimed to be allergic. The crew simply moved us around. I was the one with the pet so I offered to move. People get testy about their seats, and AA allows you to pre-select so it's even moreso that someone might be upset if asked to move. As the person with the pet, I assume I'll be the one making accommodations and I do so without complaint. Even when I've also pre-selected my seat. Makes for an easier seat, and the crew usually makes up for it with free food and wine. :)

It's not hard to do, if you plan in advance. Best way to plan is to call the airline directly and search around their website.

It shouldn't be a problem to travel with your dog. My best advice is to fly first class because there is generally more leg room (for you) and more height under the seat in front of you (for your dog's carrier.) Buy a Sherpa soft sided carrier so you can be sure it will fit under the seat -- get one that is guaranteed to be accepted on the plane. The airlines generally charge $125 each way to bring your pet in the cabin, and it is well worth it.

Hotels will charge you extra for bringing your dog, as well, but the main thing is to be sure they don't insist that your pet be stuck in a crate throughout your stay. Most hotels won't require that, but be sure to ask. Many pet-friendly hotels will give you a magnet to put on the outside of your door that says something like "four-legged friend inside," so hotel staff will know not to enter the room unless you are there and specifically let them in.

We have done a lot of traveling with our pets, particularly Mr. Cat (see avatar!) and it has never been a problem. And even though airport and airline rules specify that your pet has to remain crated at all times at the airport, you can usually open the top of the carrier and let him stick his head out for a while. Obviously, you don't want to disturb other people and should try to find a relatively quiet spot to do it, but we have never had any trouble at all -- and the TSA and security people have always been particularly friendly with our pets, as well.

Traveling with a 15 pound dog is a lot easier than you might think. You'll worry like crazy about it the first time, and then you'll be a pro! :)

Ripley and Catwoman, :thumbup:  this is great info. Thanks so much! I can't imagine leaving him at a kennel. I really can't. It won't be a holiday with him stuck without us. So all your advice and encouragement is so warmly and sincerely appreciated. Thanks again!

Ripley and Catwoman, :thumbup: this is great info. Thanks so much! I can't imagine leaving him at a kennel. I really can't. It won't be a holiday with him stuck without us. So all your advice and encouragement is so warmly and sincerely appreciated. Thanks again!

You are very welcome! I remember how nervous I was the first time around, but the whole experience turned out to be very easy. :)

I forgot to mention one thing -- it's a good idea to bring a copy of your dog's rabies shot records with you. I have heard that certain states require it. I have never had anyone ask me for any kind of documentation and I'm sure no one will ask you either, but since I'm sure your dog has his shots, it's better to bring the info with you.

If you don't have the records, there's a form your vet can fill out for you. I know it's online, but for the life of me, I can't remember where it is! It's basically a form that says your pet is healthy for travel and has had his rabies shot. Your vet might even have the form in his or her office.

My adorable Klee Kai (see avatar to the left) flew by herself at 8 weeks when we adopted her. We had to drive 2 hours to an airport that accepted animals flying alone. Having a checked in dog was a huge mistake. I will not go into details, but being alone in a crate for 10 hours was horrific. If I had to move her again, I would fly with her in the cabin. I see pet carriers on planes all the time. Anyway, a life lesson learned for me.

When we have to leave her now, we use a private pet sitter who takes one or two dogs into his home. We know he must be good to her because she is always a pound heavier and not that anxious to leave when we pick her up. (He mixes a little gravy in her kibble. LOL)