Menu

Exercise Thread ~ 1/12 - 1/18

Negin

4 mile run this morning, plus 1 min 45 sec plank.  I will do yoga later, plus  some handstand practice.  I've been up against the wall for that, and I've managed to scrape and bruise both my knees when I was coming down. Even so, it's been fun, and I really want to be able to do an handstand. :)

I get nauseous the second my head is under me. There are yoga moves I can't do very long because I feel like I might vomit.

I did a 60 min Bar Method DVD.

Did I say that Ballet Body is my favorite? Cause I am certain I meant to say Bar Method, lol.

I do not like Bar Method much. I prefer Ballet Body even though it's much harder.

I have to split my workout today. Got up late. Did the first section which was balance training. Hope to get in my second section after taking the boys to piano.

Yes, Rieshy, I've been hungry all week too!  It's driving me nuts.

Today I ran 4 miles outside, and it was cold!  My clothes were good, but the wind was like ice hitting my face the entire time.  I did 4 x 400 intervals, and I kept on pace.  

I also did a 2 min plank during my warm-up.  It was hard, and I'm not sure how I'll get past 2 mins.

I'll do handstand practice and yoga later.  

Rebounding.

I do not like Bar Method much. I prefer Ballet Body even though it's much harder.

Does Ballet Body have lots of push-ups. I really dislike push-ups. Planks, I have no problem with, but push-ups are just not my thing. 

Kettlebell this morning.  Today's workout was more of a "keep moving and get your heart rate up" kind of workout.  I did planks, 1 arm swings, push presses (a lot!), jumping lunges, and snatches.  I did 2 rounds of those, then 4 rounds of push-ups, side crunches, and pull ups.  I was hungry during the entire workout, which made it a bit more difficult.  After stretching I made a big breakfast of eggs, english muffin and an orange, plus my fruit tea.  I'm feeling better now. :)  

My knee started hurting last night during MMA.  Not sure why- but I suspect it's sore from running sideways on a treadmill.  Sigh.  

I'm not sure how to tell when to work through the pain (just osteoarthritis now that the meniscus injury is completely healed) and when to "listen" to my body and rest my knee.  Today it's not swollen, doesn't ache really- it just feels a little loose. I have full range of motions and squatting doesn't bother it.  

I'd love to go for an easy 2 mile run in the sunshine...  Anyone have any advice?  Obviously I'm not asking for actually medical advice but I'd love to hear someone else's "rule of thumb" or criterion.  My ortho cleared me for all my sports but he wasn't terribly helpful on the specifics.

Rebounding.

Does Ballet Body have lots of push-ups. I really dislike push-ups. Planks, I have no problem with, but push-ups are just not my thing. 

It has some pushups. So does Bar Method. Ballet Body has planks and a few what I call 'weird pushups" lol. It has stuff like getting into a sort of tripod position and then doing push ups and stuff like that. Lots of 'reverse' pushups for tricepts (also in Bar Method). But Ballet Body (and Bar Method) isn't all about the push up either. There are things like side planks and some yoga that isn't strictly a pushup but sort of is. And there are standing arm exercises with and without weights in both.

Obviously, the 45 min Ballet Body upper body dvd has a LOT more of all of it. In the 75 min Ballet Body total body workout the upper body section is 20 mins. I still can't do all of it.

So, yesterday I sat out because my tummy was wonky and now today I am def. feeling like I have a cold or a mild bug. I have a headache and I am fuzzy. It's that time of year I guess. Hopefully I will be all better by tomorrow or Sunday and can join you all again.

Does anyone else get all anxious when you get sick. I had a nice 4 week exercise plan and now it is all shot to hell.  I am actually spending time worrying about if I should just pick up where I left off or just start where I had planned to be on the day I feel better. Any opinion of which is better? I doubt there is much difference.

My knee started hurting last night during MMA.  Not sure why- but I suspect it's sore from running sideways on a treadmill.  Sigh.  

I'm not sure how to tell when to work through the pain (just osteoarthritis now that the meniscus injury is completely healed) and when to "listen" to my body and rest my knee.  Today it's not swollen, doesn't ache really- it just feels a little loose. I have full range of motions and squatting doesn't bother it.  

I'd love to go for an easy 2 mile run in the sunshine...  Anyone have any advice?  Obviously I'm not asking for actually medical advice but I'd love to hear someone else's "rule of thumb" or criterion.  My ortho cleared me for all my sports but he wasn't terribly helpful on the specifics.

My dh is a runner and has been managing an injury for a while. it isn't anything like what you have had to deal with, so take that into account. But, I would rest. If you don't know how your body will handle it then err on the side of caution. Or, maybe go for a brisk (no running!) walk? Sort of halfway to see what happens?

Tues:  Squats then BodyStep.  This was the first time I was able to try the newest choreography which is something I always look forward too.  Unfortunately I was exhausted during the workout.  My HR was 10-20 beats higher than normal.  I should have taken the day off but like I said I was excited to try the new stuff!

Wed: Yoga

Thurs: 30 min step followed by CXWorx which is a 30 min core class

Fri: Squat, Bench Press, BodyStep

My dh gets knee pain and he read somewhere that it can be caused by tight IT bands.  Santa brought us a foam roller and he found that using it before and after working out has helped to the point where usually it doesn't hurt when before it always hurt.

Different moves - magazine and Pinterest-type stuff. 

Negin, I don't remember any push-ups. It's been awhile though but I don't think there are any.

Thanks. 

Obviously, the 45 min Ballet Body upper body dvd has a LOT more of all of it. In the 75 min Ballet Body total body workout the upper body section is 20 mins. I still can't do all of it.

Does anyone else get all anxious when you get sick. I had a nice 4 week exercise plan and now it is all shot to hell.  I am actually spending time worrying about if I should just pick up where I left off or just start where I had planned to be on the day I feel better. Any opinion of which is better? I doubt there is much difference.

Thank you re: the push-ups feedback. 

After being sick, I start back slowly. It really depends on how many days I've missed. I don't believe in overexerting myself during those times. 

Did a cycle and a sculpt class tonight. HR monitor clocked almost 2 hours and nearly 1,000 calories. No wonder I am hungry! Lol!

Rest of the week:

Tuesday: boot camp type w/o

Wednesday: barefoot class/ cycle class

Thursday took a good walk

Friday: cycle

Today I am off to boot camp and cycle class....my 2 favorite instructors. I am already pretty sore :-(. But, will give it my best. This was a god hard week.

I also signed up for a few races the spring. Now I feel like I am actually in training. It is a nice feeling.

Ran 5.1 miles and did 51 pushups in honor of my 51st birthday today. In other news my massage therapist thinks I need to go to the chiropracter (never been). She thinks my hip pain is because my SI joint is out. Yip-fecking-pee.That would explain why it aches huh :glare:

Happy Birthday! Awesome way to celebrate your birthday!

Try this video before going to the chiropractor; it helped me immensely when my SI joint was causing pain. Hope it helps. :)

O also say better to be cautious then cause injury/damage.

It has some pushups. So does Bar Method. Ballet Body has planks and a few what I call 'weird pushups" lol. It has stuff like getting into a sort of tripod position and then doing push ups and stuff like that. Lots of 'reverse' pushups for tricepts (also in Bar Method). But Ballet Body (and Bar Method) isn't all about the push up either. There are things like side planks and some yoga that isn't strictly a pushup but sort of is. And there are standing arm exercises with and without weights in both.

See it has been awhile since I've done that dvd cause I don't remember that. Maybe I blocked it cause it was painful. :lol:

When I'm sick I always pick up where I left off after a day or two of easing back in with some yoga and light cardio.

Ran 5.1 miles and did 51 pushups in honor of my 51st birthday today. 

Happy Birthday!!!!

2 hours of open mat this morning.  Btw, spending several hours and drinking 3 cups of coffee at Starbucks before open mat (without any water) is recipe for a terrible workout.  I had to leave the mat for bathroom breaks, not to mention I felt dizzy and light headed the whole time.  Some day I'll grow a brain:)