Menu

Grammar help for 6th grader

SweetPea

I have recently brought my 6th grade son home again and realize that he really is lost when it comes to grammar.  I mean he really has a basic understanding.   I'm looking for suggestions for a curriculum that would teach the fundamentals and teach them well.   Any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Ami

DS (12)

DS (9)

Junior Analytical Grammar.  I recommend Jr. because it is not overwhelming.  It is direct, efficient, and effective.  If he completes JAG & JAG Mechanics and enjoys it (and wants or needs more), use AG afterward.

I've used 5th and 7th grades of Hake and it is just too, too much of a good thing. Grammar doesn't need to take that much time or be that repetitive.

We've liked "Rules of the game" -- publisher is EPS.

This is what my dd moved to after Hake. She goes through the book and does all the A lessons. Then she goes back through and does all the B lessons, and then all the C, and so on. She likes this better than studying one topic and doing all the lessons at once.

I've used 5th and 7th grades of Hake and it is just too, too much of a good thing. Grammar doesn't need to take that much time or be that repetitive.

This is how dd felt, too. I started letting her do just the odds, but when she completed grade 5 she did not want to go on to grade 6. 

Honestly, I would diagram.  There are quite a few diagramming texts.  Learn the parts of speech in the context of diagramming.  Once you have cemented this and the child can successfully diagram their own sentences, I would begin a more advanced study of grammar that incorporates with writing and style.

Read here to guide you.

I like Jenson's Grammar.  While it says 7-12th, I think you could start early without any problems.  Of Course, there is Easy Grammar as well, very similar to Daily Grams.  Anyway, depending on the rigor in which you want to approach grammar, that should help you.

We tended to drift away from Rod & Staff after the sixth grade.  I did not like the many secular textbook approaches either.  Often, I bought grammar resources from Scholastic and Macmillan.  :)  Along with diagramming, I have seen the complexity of sentences increase and the content develop. 

Do not try to cram it all in one year though.  Spread it out a bit.  Some grammar is better than no grammar.  :)