Menu

How do you get started researching for scholarships???

My oldest is a sophomore this year.  I understand that the junior year is the time to start applying for scholarships, so this is on my mind now.  I realize colleges and universities award scholarships, but my daughter isn't sure where she wants to go at this point.  Companies offer scholarships, but I don't know which ones.  Are there other sources for scholarships?

How do we start "shopping" for scholarships?

What advice would you give for researching and applying for them?

What kind of work/ how much responsibility will be required of both parent and student?

This is our first time going through high school, and I would appreciate any wisdom and encouragement from any of you with experience in this area. 

Thanks so much!!!

Welcome to the wonderfully mysterious and complicated world of scholarship search and financial aid -- closely linked to the other wonderfully complex world of college admissions!  :eek: Quick answers to your questions here, then much more involved info below:

How do we start "shopping" for scholarships?

For "outside" scholarships, see the list below (local ideas, "big book of scholarships", websites).

For "inside" (college-awarded) scholarships, some ways to maximize your chances:

- score high (98-99%) on PSAT when taken in 11th grade to earn NM scholarship (up to $2500), or from a college that offers NMS $$ (up to ($10,000)

- score high on SAT/ACT

- apply to schools where your student's test scores puts them in the top 5% of students (earns you the most merit aid)

- apply to schools that are well-endowed with scholarship funds

- apply as a freshman, rather than a transfer student (more available $$)

What advice would you give for researching and applying for them?

Since the vast majority of scholarship money is awarded by the college the student attends, I suggest start learning now all you can about FAFSA and financial aid (as schools offer scholarships as part of a financial aid PACKAGE that includes LOANS, GRANTS and scholarships). For applying for "outside" scholarships, your student needs to be able to write awesome essays and interview well for scholarship applications.

What kind of work/ how much responsibility will be required of both parent and student?

Totally varies from family to family. Some families, the student shoulders most of the work; for others the parent does, in other families it is a joint effort. The kinds of work involved for (mostly "outside" scholarships) includes:

- research (online searches of LONG LISTS of scholarships, hours of reading through qualifications)

- filling out online applications

- student-written essays

- some scholarships require a student-created project (short video, poster, etc.)

- some scholarships require volunteer/community service hours accrued over high school by the student

- student prep/practice to score well on SAT/ACT

- student participate in leadership programs and extracurriculars that show responsibility, creativity, high academics, etc.

- obtain letters of recommendation from coach, outside teacher, youth leader, pastor, etc. who knows the student and share about their qualities, leadership, accomplishments, etc.

- for "inside" scholarships -- parent fills out lots of college application forms, FAFSA, maybe a CSS Profile... have your most recent tax return info handy

Now for the mega-list of resources and random information (LOL):

There are a lot of great past threads with loads of info on scholarships (and loads of other topics you'll be ready for starting now and next year), all linked in the "mega compilation thread" pinned at the top of the High School Board: "Transcripts, Credits... College Prep/Applications, Scholarships/Financial Aid ... past threads linked here!" (The scholarship threads are all linked in POST #5). Here are a few to get you started:

Past scholarship threads

Preparing for College: what scholarships/grants to apply for (compilation of best tips into a "how to" list)
Scholarships and home schooled students (the scholarship process)
Need all your tips and advice on scholarship search
How do I apply for scholarships?
Are college scholarships taxable?
How does a student get a full ride?
How do you find the scholarships?

How to calculate costs for scholarships?
College sports/scholarships -- how to?
Anybody know anything about music scholarships?

Some little-known scholarships

Can we talk PSAT and National Merit Scholarships?

Outside scholarships: be honest. Does it work?
A timely article: "Get Real on Scholarships"

You might want to start by reading through those (and the other threads in that pinned thread) and absorbing information scholarships AND about financial aid in general, and then start looking for places to look for scholarships.

A few "tidbits" on scholarships to get you started:

1. The majority of scholarships (95%) is "inside money" (awarded by the college your student applies to).

2. "Outside money" are scholarships awarded by sources outside of the college you apply to. Outside scholarships account for less than 5% of all scholarships awarded in the U.S. annually.

3. Many colleges deduct the amount of outside money from the amount of inside scholarship money before awarding it -- netting your student no additional money.

4. Your student may need to pay taxes on scholarship money (amount that exceeds tuition & fees is taxable; scholarships designated for room & board is considered taxable income).

5. High SAT and/or ACT test scores increase scholarship awards by colleges.

6. Most scholarships come with conditions (i.e., maintain certain GPA, take minimum # of credits), and renewable scholarships (not a one-time award) must be re-applied for each year -- don't miss the deadline!

Where to look for outside scholarships:

Locally

- go to your local high school guidance/college counselor office each month and ask for the most recent scholarship list

- check parents/grandparents place of employment for "children of employee" scholarships

- check your: bank, church, credit union, clubs where parents/grandparents are members

- check local branches of: Rotary Club, Lions, Elks, Moose, Kiwanis, American Legion

- check your student's extracurriculars: scouting, sports, junior military, leadership group, 4-H, YMCA, etc.

Scholarship Websites

(DO be aware that MANY students apply for these, so your odds are low AND your info is sold to marketers and your email inbox will be FILLED with ads -- so consider setting up a separate email address ONLY for applying to these types of organizations)

- FastWeb

- Scholarships 4 Students

Big Books of Scholarships (usually at your local library)

1. Kaplan Scholarships: Billions of Dollars of Free Money for College (Schlachter)

2. Peterson's Scholarships, Grants & Prizes

Helpful websites:

FinAid.org

- Homeschool Success: High School Planning for College Admissions Success: "Scholarships"

- HSLDA: "Competition and Scholarship Awards"

GOOD LUCK as you and your student begin to navigate these complicated waters! Warmest regards, Lori D.

Thank you, Lori! I have a senior who was accepted into the three colleges and is on the hunt for scholarships. :-)

You are most welcome. :)

Your next step is to get that FAFSA filled out soon. When the FAFSA asks what schools do you want the info sent to, be sure to have it sent to all 3, and maybe even a few schools that are very competitive with those 3, which the schools then see, and may offer a bit more than they might have if you only had the 1 school listed...

And, your senior will want to make the college decision fairly soon, as there can be savings in application fees with earlier applications.

Once your student is IN college, in the spring semester, they need to keep their eyes peeled for when the school's online scholarship application website opens and get all of that in. If there is a postal address, be sure to send a letter of thanks for any previous scholarship, along with a "resume" and note of what the plans are for education at the school. Hardly ANYone goes the extra mile to write real letters, and it can really make you stand out!

BEST of luck in your scholarship hunt. And congratulations to your soon-to-be-graduate! :) Warmest regards, Lori D.

Sort of seconding one thing Lori mentioned: If I go to the web page of my local high schools and look under counselor, all of them have lists of local and state scholarships with dates due. This has been an amazing resource and very easy to access!