Menu

My cat has coccidia ):

fourcatmom

My little stray (Alfie) who wandered into our life two months ago has coccidia. We took him in today since we noticed that all the cats seem to being having a problem and figured it started with him since the timing was there. Since he is part of the rescue they offered to do all the testing for free. The sad part is that I had to leave him there at the rescue for two weeks to be treated. In the meantime I will have to get my cats on medicine and have them treated as well. It's going to be a long two weeks! I am already really missing him and feeling guilty that he will be in a cage away from his home for two weeks. He was so scared when he left him, he was clinging to the carrier and didn't want to let go. It's really broke my heart. Ugh!

Anyone have experience with coccidia? I have four cats at home that I am guessing will all have to be treated and I am going to have to take my overweight cat in for a sanitary shave this weekend as well because of this issue and he's not able to properly clean himself.

I think overall this will all work out. Hopefully they put the overweight cat on a diet plan and we can get everyone balanced out again. And, here I thought this year was going to be different? We rang in the new year with the flu and now this too. I know this is part of the price of having pets but it's still not going to be easy. I am still glad that we helped this little guy out though and took him in.

I think them keeping the cat was to help me out and just to keep an eye on him. Since I have to treat all my cats and I am still fighting this bug that I have, I think they just thought it would help. They didn't require him to stay but at least I know they will double check him after treatment and make sure he is clean. They did say something about the paste and something to put on his food as well as antibiotics for 10 days. We still have to take our cat in on Saturday to get checked, shaved and hopefully will come home with meds for all the cats.

I just feel so overwhelmed - so even though I miss him this will give me a chance to take care of the house and the others. I am so tired of smelly gross poop! :confused1: And top of the meds I will have to "help" my big guy after he is shaved and that will be a challenge and then the diet on top of it once he is well. I am not really complaining, I love my cats but I am really tired right now and just don't want to deal with all this. I just really hope my vet approves meds for all my cats without checking each one of them.