Menu

Math for a 1st grader that excels in Math??/

Hi,

We are doing Singapore 1B right now and he just gets it quick.  I was considering going to Teaching Textbooks as that is what all my other kids use and I love it but.....  I don't know this guy has just picked up math concepts easy, he doesn't like "manipulatives" and I really just explain the page and he takes off, lesson after lesson, should I just keep with Singapore???

Thanks,

Kim

From everything I have read from parents using Singapore (and from my neighbor) if your child is excelling at math, then stick with this program, just speed it up if necessary and maybe supplement with something else, like Beast Academy or an on-line math program for fun.  Teaching Textbooks seems pretty basic for a child that excels at math.

Ditto what they said. My 1st grader is good at math too. He did Singapore 1A/1B last year in K. This year, I have him doing CLE 200 alongside Beast Academy 3A (he passed the pre-assessment with flying colors, though he had not done subtraction with regrouping yet, so we used MM 2 pages to teach that as we started BA, and CLE will hit it soon as well). This particular child does well with the spiral review that CLE provides, combined with the challenge of BA. It's been a good combo for him. My oldest did Math Mammoth in first grade, doing grades 1-3 that year, then starting 4 in 2nd grade and switching to Singapore 4 halfway through the year and moving into 5. He finished 5B toward the end of 3rd grade and now is doing AoPS Prealgebra for 4th and probably half or all of 5th (I'm taking my time with it). I have a possible math path that puts us in Calculus in 11th or 12th grade like normal. AoPS is wonderful for slowing down advanced math students. ;)

I would not use Teaching Textbooks for your child. Why zoom through an easier curriculum when you could go deeper with a more difficult one? Read the Calculus Trap. Beast Academy starts at 3rd grade, but it only requires addition/subtraction (with regrouping) before starting. It teaches multiplication in grade 3. My 1st grader is deep in skip counting land right now. :D

And yes, use IP and CWP if you're continuing with Singapore. The textbook/workbook are not all that hard. The IP and CWP are where the challenge is. But really, it's ok to move to the next level as needed. My oldest started to slow down a bit once he hit 4th grade math, since that's where you get into multi-digit multiplication, long division, things like that (Singapore does the latter in grade 3). First grade math he figured out on his own when he was 4. :tongue_smilie: He also never needed manipulatives - very abstract thinker. It's ok. Don't force the manipulatives. I had to use them for the going over tens mental math concept (8+5=10+3=13), but that's it. And he didn't even use them for that. He just watched my demonstration a few times, then understood fully.

I would stick with Singapore. I had people advising me to stick with Singapore, and I ended up pshawing and changing currics, which slowly began the road to curriculum hopping with math. If singapore works, stick with it. Look at Math on the Levels yahoo group and 5 a days, this may help you with just using Singapore as a tool (I had problems with skipping pages, my children had to do every page and every problem, now I am able to just skip questions without freaking out, circle only the amount of problems they need to do etc (so in math mammoth, for one question I only had her answer two problems for another I skipped completely since she already knew it, the next I skipped as well after giving her a quick oral exam on the question, the next she didn't know so we did the question and most of the problems (we aren't doing mm anymore, just giving you an example)

Dh needs me, so I better go. And sorry for the writing style. I'm quickly whacking this out on my iPad.

You can let him go faster in Singapore until he gets to something that takes a little more thought for him. Elementary math is just really easy for some kids; yours might need to do Singapore a year or a year and a half ahead of the marked grade levels.

Okay.now, one thing I won't do well is trying to mix and match or adding this or that.  Honestly we are usually behind in Math a bit until we found TT and the kids have loved it.  However, this is my first that has just been "quick" to get it.  Is CLE something I should go to?  I would like to just stick to one thing for now, or Rightstart, but..he likes doing the workbook pages on his own.

I'd stick with Singapore. My 6yo is technically a Ker and he is flying through 1b with ease. I'm not planning on accelerating him much further than he is because he will move into Beast Academy in second grade and that will provide plenty of enrichment. For now, I'm giving the enrichment via intensive practice books and trying to keep his nose out of his sister's math.

But, he is still working some on reading (he's about second grade level and not completely fluent) so I want him to have something easy that he enjoys.

The methods in Singapore are valuable, and you aren't going to get the same methods in TT. When you say you explain the page, are you using the Home Instructor's Guide (if you're using Primary Math)? There is a lot more to Singapore PM than just the workbook & textbook.

We use Math in Focus, which is basically an updated Singapore Math product. I like it because it can be taught directly from the book, but the lessons are sort of oddly broken up. My kindergartener needs very little practice and we finished 1A by only doing it 2-3 times a week for maybe 10 minutes at a time (we "afterschool" in the mornings, LOL). We add in a review program, but instead of CLE he uses Horizons K. It takes him almost no time at all but does keep reviewing skip counting, money, clock, perimeter, etc. that Singapore saves for the end of the year. We're about to zoom through the end of Horizons K and start Horizons 1.

Okay...one more question, is Math In Focus more open and go than Singapore.  Well...I know Singapore is fairly open and go, what I would LIKE for myself is something that combines daily teaching in math facts along with the way Singapore teaches concepts etc...  I know Rightstart has upgraded their books to be more teacher friendly but....

You might spend some time reading math threads on the Accelerated Board - often there are lots of interesting resources mentioned.

Beast Academy is an elementary program from AoPS, which publishes math texts for talented math students.  It has a comic-book style text and separate workbook.  I don't know whether the on-line component is available yet.  The books are still in development - all of 3rd grade and part of 4th are available at this time.

I try to keep math facts practice really fun.  We use a lapbook I found that has bingo and a couple of board games.  I think I got it off of currclick.  I also found a card game at my local home school store.  I do my normal Singapore lessons and then practice math facts at another time just for fun.