Menu

Social Security and the 18 yo senior

mothergooseof4

My dc receive SS since my late dh passed when they were very young.  It is what allowed me to stay home and hs them, as planned, and had been a tremendous blessing.  We depend on it for our monthly expenses.

My oldest will be starting high school in the fall.  I did not start K with him into he was 6yo since he was a preemie.  My second ds also started at six since his bday is late summer, and he was far from ready at five.  This means that they will turn eighteen before their senior years.  In a brick and mortar school, I know I would just show proof of enrollment in order for them to continue drawing SS during that last year, but I am unsure how to handle this since they are hsed.  

I am not open to anything other than hs, so if impossible, we will suck it up without SS that last year.  I prefer to do eclectic style hsing, but suppose I may have to switch to an accredited program in order to aid in proving that he is still in hs that last year.

Has anyone else dealt with a situation like this?  What was your solution?

1. You could enroll with a private school whose educational philosophy is closest to yours and still be homeschooling under their umbrella program. We did this with a local, private school and it was fully accredited with diploma at graduation. Ds had to take the SAT with them, that was it. I did have to submit a curriculum plan and grades. I had no problem with either of those requirements. Homeschool coordinator was very helpful.

2. If your dc have taken any kind of tests, i.e SAT or ACT or similar, you could prove they are being schooled and they are progressing.

3. It may be sufficient to draw up an affidavit confirming educational goals and attendance depending on your state laws.

Unfortunately it can vary by state.  Where I live, most homeschoolers file annually with the county and provide some kind of evaluation at the end of the year, with most doing a standardized test.  Widowed friends of mine have done fine with sending in copies of the letter back from the county saying their paperwork is good for the next year.  They haven't had to do anything more than that.

YMMV...

I am in Texas, so no reporting or testing required.  We also live in a small town with no private schools.

I was not looking forward to using an accredited program for the entirety of high school, but had not considered that we could do it just for that last year.  That sounds better since I can do my own thing for the first three years.

Guess I need to call SSA to see what they say as well.  Surely this isn't the first time they have dealt with the issue.

Please don't change your longterm plans just for something that won't happen for a number of years.

My kids (and I) also receive SS, because my husband died when they were younger. My oldest turned 18 during her senior year at a B&M school. Long story short, SS never received her proof of schooling. So, her monthly amount was just split between the rest of us. For easy numbers, suppose there are 4 kids and mom each receiving $20 - total of $100. After the oldest was dropped, SS saw this family as 3 kids and mom, so each received $25 - total of $100.

That said my next kid will be homeschooled at age 18 during senior year, so I looked it up online. All the sites I read said it wasn't a "real" problem, even HSLDA. So, it truly doesn't sound like it is a problem just a bit more difficult in states where there is no reporting. 

Here is the Texas Coalition info:

Yes. Families choosing to home school their are completely protected under §404.367 of the Social Security Code.

This section states, “You may be eligible for child’s benefits if you are a full-time elementary or secondary school student.†The code then lists qualifications as to who can be considered a full-time elementary or secondary student, stating that one must “attend a school which provides elementary or secondary education as determined under the law of the state or other jurisdiction in which it is located.†Home school children are said to be in compliance with this regulation if they “(a)(1) … are instructed in elementary or secondary education at home in accordance with the home school law of the State or other jurisdiction in which [they] reside.†Furthermore, home school students must carry “(b) … a subject load which is considered full-time for day students under standards and practices set by the State or other jurisdiction in which [they] reside.†(The full text of §404.367 is available online at www.ssa.gov/OP_Home/cfr20/404/404-0367.htm.)

According to Social Security Administration Policy RS 00205.275, student benefits are payable if:

• the student is a full-time student,
  • the state in which the home school is located recognizes home schools as an educational institution,
  • the home school is in compliance with state requirements for home schools, and
  • the student meets all other requirements for benefits.

This policy goes on to say, “The child’s home school instructor must submit evidence that state requirements for home schooling are met. The home schooling instructor is the certifying school official for FTA purposes on Form SSA-1372, Student’s Statement Regarding School Attendance.â€

The state of Texas recognizes home schools as private schools, and the only requirement for them is to pursue a curriculum that meets the basic educational goals of reading, spelling, grammar, mathematics, and a study of good citizenship. For Texas students, evidence of complying with state law would simply be a list of the courses being taught. (Click here for a legal opinion by counsel to the SSA concerning Texas State Law Requirements for Home Schooling.)

If you have trouble claiming benefits from state or federal agencies because of your home school status, you may call the THSC Association at (806) 744-4441.

So, go start your high school without any worries about social security during the senior year.