Menu

What kind of martial art is this?

poppy

My daughter went to a self defense class where the emphasis was on punches, evading grasps or hold, and putting the opponent into the ground in a 'control' position.  I have no background in martial arts so hoping for some insight here.  She is six.

My 8 year old does mixed martial arts - each day of the week they focus on a different discipline, so she picks and chooses which days she wants to go. Fridays are free spar days, and the kids use any and all techniques they've learned against each other. They even fight in the cage, which is the most appealing thing for her (but slightly horrific from my end). LOL

Mondays are judo, Tuesdays are boxing, Wednesdays are jiu-jitsu, Thursdays are muay thai. Fridays used to be wrestling but that class proved too unpopular to keep, and that's when Free Spar began. She couldn't wait to turn six, which is the age her coach takes (most) kids. She's been doing it ever since. My son and ex-husband have been doing it for about seven years.

Maybe a MMA class with varying disciplines might be a good fit for her?

Since it's a self-defense class rather than a straight martial arts class, I would suspect it's likely a mix of techniques from different disciplines, but I could be wrong. The evading holds and the control position is from the aikido or jujitsu end of the spectrum. If the emphasis was on evading punches rather than throwing them, then that would fit aikido as well.