Menu

"Shut Up You Dumbhead!"

JumpyTheFrog

I'm sorry :(

If it makes you feel better, my parents now laugh and tease us (adult) kids about the mean, but somehow amusing, things we said as children.

My grandfather taught me to say "sh*t head's home!" whenever my father came in from work. Fun times.

*hugs*

I'm sorry, but that totally made me laugh. I'm sure you didn't find it nearly as funny, though. :-(

My problem is that when my kid does something like that, I picture him in 20 years yelling it at his boss. Then I feel like a total failure. If you're not the catastophizing type, you're probably better off. ;-)

I try to comfort myself by saying that he won't have anything new to say as a teenager. He's started in with the "I hate you" already. Also, he's threatened to run away so many times that it's getting boring to listen to. Monday he packed several bags and claimed he and his younger brother were going to move into the woods next to the house. I said that I only feed members of the house and therefore he'd have to return all the food he packed (canned beans) and anything else that belongs to me (can opener, silverware, strainer). That really took the wind out of his sails.

Hugs. I'm sorry. I know I don't know you personally, but I am willing to bet that you are not a dumb head.

ETA: my son has been telling me he hates me since he was three. It was not behavior that was modeled for him, so I don't know where he got it. Sometimes friends with teenagers talk about how their kid said they hated them for the first time and it was so devastating.....uh, my 3 yo said that!

I have one of those too. I've been told a few times today that he hates me, he wants to run away, I'm the meanest mom in the world, I never play with him, etc. I wisely kept him home from school today because he was pretty much up since 3 am and I knew he would be an emotional mess. He's already had an Epsom salt bath and I'm about to feed him his 12th meal and put him to bed.

In between he's told me he loves me with all his heart, I am the sweetest, etc. I told him I'm not sure I can believe him if he also tells me he hates me. :(

Let us both hope that tomorrow is better!

I know I don't know you personally, but I am willing to bet that you are not a dumb head.

Even if I plan to open a bank account for you and put your money in the bank so you don't waste it all on chips? That's what started all this.

Him: I want an iPhone....blah blah blah...but you never let me save for one!

Me: Why do you want one?

Him: explains he wants to listen to audio books and play games

Me: explain that I know how much money I owe him for some work and that we're going to open him a bank account to keep it in so he doesn't waste it all on snacks at gymnastics

Him: Starts calling me a thief (maybe a liar, too, can't remember) and then descends to calling me a "dumb head"

My oldest (now 8.5) launched all this at me around age 7, also.  I was so upset that it landed her in PS for 2nd grade (among other reasons, but this one factored in heavily).  Now, on the other side of our awful 7-year-old year, I over reacted to her over reacting.   :)  Go figure.   :glare:

It really stinks going through it.   :grouphug:

When my one daughter threatened to run away from home, I opened the front door and ushered her out the door.  She was 7.  I explained that she could only leave with the clothes on her back and that the police station was up the road that way, they be happy to help her find a new home.  I told her she was welcome to come back home any time, but she was never going to threaten to run away again if she did.

She was shocked, yelled at me that I was mean and horrid.  I agreed.  Then I shut the door and walked away.  I went to the bedroom by the front porch and cracked open the window so I could hear her crying and keep an eye on her. She cried on the front porch for awhile and then rang the door bell.  I answered it and she politely asked if she could come home and live with me again.  I dropped to my knees and opened my arms and told her sure, I would love that! She came into my arms and we cried together.  She never threatened to do it again.  When the next child decided they were going to run away, she took them aside really quick and told them that it wasn't worth it, and why.  In her mind, I left her on the porch for days.  Now, as an adult, she realized it was less than 1/2 hour.  It was a calculated risk, but with this child it worked.

My dh, who has a huge hand.......put his flat hand up to my 9 yo niece's face one time....just playing with her. She pushed it aside and said, "get your big ol' hand outta my face." It is a catch phrase for our family now.

Sorry for your mouthy child...... :(.

(((Hugs)))

My ds1 was a challenging child too. He's so much easier now that he's 19 but the change didn't even start until he was 16-17yo. He's another that around 7-8yo claimed he was going to run away. I looked him in the eye and said, "Don't you threaten me that way. You will *not* run away!" He was so startled by my response he never tried it again. I think he was kind of expecting me to let him go.

:grouphug:  Hugs to you, Hoppy. BTW I think dumbhead is one word. When I was a kid we called each other Stupidhead, and I'm sure that was one word. :tongue_smilie:

Lots of hugs from me, Hoppy.  I've been there with my boys.

When one ds was 3 yo I sent him to his room to settle down from being a stinker.  He got as far as his doorway, turned around and said, "You widiot!"  When I didn't reply, he yelled, "I SAID, YOU WIDIOT!!!" 

His pronunciation of idiot, along with his feeble attempt to insult me, were pretty amusing.  He hasn't lived that one down.  But when they get older, similar words sure sting.

Be strong, mama.  :grouphug:

Sometimes I'm convinced my friendly, happy 4 year old's purpose in life is to remind us that we can't be total screw-ups as parents

My younger ds is also 3 years younger and was such a peaceful and happy kid. Now that he's a teen, whenever he gives me grief I like to remind him that he used to be such a nice boy. :p

I try to comfort myself by saying that he won't have anything new to say as a teenager. He's started in with the "I hate you" already. Also, he's threatened to run away so many times that it's getting boring to listen to. Monday he packed several bags and claimed he and his younger brother were going to move into the woods next to the house. I said that I only feed members of the house and therefore he'd have to return all the food he packed (canned beans) and anything else that belongs to me (can opener, silverware, strainer). That really took the wind out of his sails.

:grouphug:

It is pretty normal behavior for a 7 year old to attempt to run away. My Mum had 8 children, she was concerned when I ran away at 7. . she actually ran down the street after me. But she must have done some research or something  into child behaviour as when my younger siblings tried she gave an answer very similar to what you do\id to your son. it stopped them in their tracks.

I am sorry.  

It did make me chuckle though.  Soon after we adopted my son, and while he was still learning English, he used to get mad at his brothers and call them "STOOBY HEAD!"  He couldn't quite say the word stupid yet.  Then he would get SO MAD because we found it so cute and funny and would laugh.   :ohmy:   Poor kid.  

Around age 7 was when Punk started the running away talk as well.

After months of trying different methods for dealing with it, I had enough.

I told him I was not going to be constantly threatened with his emotional blackmail. That he has a good home and there are plenty of people who have none. From that day on the consequence for threatening to run away or move out prior to age 18, (including packing your bags and setting them by the door as a non verbal communication of your intentions), results in every dime you have to your name being spent on supplies for the homeless camps our church works with.

It has happened a few times since this policy was put in place, but only a few times and the incidents have gotten very far apart.

(((Hugs))) to you. I hope you find something that works and an extra measure of patience with yourself and your son in the meantime!

My kids' favorite thing to say to me when they're mad is, "I'm not making ANYTHING for you!" Apparently they think their little pictures and crafts are the ultimate currency. I mean, I do treasure their little creations, but this always makes me giggle a little bit after they stomp out of the room. :)

False comfort there!  They get more articulate, more sophisticated at discerning what will have enough truth in it to make you second-guess yourself, and then, too, there will be things that they say in anger that you realize actually are true. Ouch!

So stick to your boredom and humor in this phase, and be prepared for new levels of sophistication in the teen years! :)

I think my eldest was 6 or 7 when she threatened to run away. I did the same thing as AmyOnTheFarm. Calculated risk but worked. I've also had "I hate you" said to me by the eldest and the son. It is hard not to take it personally. I'm sorry you have to deal with challenging behavior.

My DD threw the running away bit at me several times.  The moms up thread are nice.  I told my DD she was welcome to leave but she wasn't taking anything of mine with her which included the clothing on her back so she was going to have to run away naked.  That usually dissolved into I hate you and storming off.  I am not/was not above using sentence writing as punishment so those temper tantrums turned into sentences of "I love my mom." down the front and back of the page.  I remember how hard it was not to react like I really cared about what she said to me and just dole out the punishment as needed.

None of my kids have threatened running away yet, but I did at that age. My mom hugged me goodbye and my one brother sat at the window and sobbed. I only made it a couple blocks because at that age, I wasn't sure where to go after that so I played in the park for a bit and went back home.

When my one daughter threatened to run away from home, I opened the front door and ushered her out the door.  She was 7.  I explained that she could only leave with the clothes on her back and that the police station was up the road that way, they be happy to help her find a new home.  I told her she was welcome to come back home any time, but she was never going to threaten to run away again if she did.

She was shocked, yelled at me that I was mean and horrid.  I agreed.  Then I shut the door and walked away.  I went to the bedroom by the front porch and cracked open the window so I could hear her crying and keep an eye on her. She cried on the front porch for awhile and then rang the door bell.  I answered it and she politely asked if she could come home and live with me again.  I dropped to my knees and opened my arms and told her sure, I would love that! She came into my arms and we cried together.  She never threatened to do it again.  When the next child decided they were going to run away, she took them aside really quick and told them that it wasn't worth it, and why.  In her mind, I left her on the porch for days.  Now, as an adult, she realized it was less than 1/2 hour.  It was a calculated risk, but with this child it worked.

I did **almost** the same thing with my son. He was only 3. He packed a bag. I gave him a kiss and said bye. He got out the front door and stood there for a few minutes, and then promptly started crying. I gave him a couple minutes of freaking out before I opened up the door to let it sink in. :) Now that he's 8, he laughs about it and says "remember that one time that you let me run away".