Menu

I think I'm in love... with YOGA

Heather in Neverland

Ok, maybe I'm rushing things ... I mean I have only had two classes... But I loved them! Seriously. And I generally dislike exercising. I've tried jogging and walking and various aerobic classes, etc. But this is my first try with yoga and I can't believe how much I like it.

I am definitely a newbie and will have to work long and hard towards holding some of those poses. I also cannot seem to clear my mind completely and relax yet but I am enjoying all the breathing exercises that go with it. They calm me.

Tell me it will last and that I will continue liking it and stick with something for once.

So who loves yoga and why?

P.s. Is it considered bad form to send and receive texts messages during yoga class? There was a guy tonight in my class who was texting in between each exercise. I thought it was rude but I tend to be a fuddy-duddy about those things.

It's been years since I could attend a yoga class regularly. I used to have a great home practice and lots of videos to use with it. I do like yoga for both strength and flexibility. I was given a gym membership for Christmas, but the gym does not have yoga at times I can attend.However, I am working on putting some poses in my new routine.

I think using a cell for text during class is a no no. Walk out of the room and take care of your personal business. I think this is especially true of yoga class because someone stopping and starting between poses is distracting. Even in a class that is not a "flow" class there is a sort of flow between movements that stopping to pick up a phone would distract people from. Is the phone buzzing too? 

I love it too! I do Bikram yoga, which is an athletically challenging type of yoga done in a +105F degree room, and traditional Iyengar/vinyassa/power yoga.

With traditional yoga, I love the coordination of focus, breath, and movement, and the variety of postures-each class is different, except Iyengar, but that's another conversation, and I haven't taken a class that does Only Iyengar; instead Iyengar concepts are loosely incorporated and blended within other styles of yoga such as power yoga.

With Bikram, I love the high calorie burn, and the fact that each class challenges me to the limits of strength and endurance. It's a more limited practice, meaning each class does the same 26 postures, but to do them correctly in the heat requires a lot of strength, discipline, and time.

I've been practicing yoga for about a year and a half, and love it so much that I have a hard time getting truly excited about any other type of exercise. I do other things because variety makes a better athelete, but yoga is my true love.

I second Angela's reccomendation for myyogaonline...

My first class was kundalini yoga and my second one was iyengar. I know virtually nothing about yoga but those were the names of the two classes. I liked them both though they were very different. The kundalini made me feel better than a full body massage! The iyengar was more challenging physically but made me feel strong.

I am going to check out that site. Can I ask a few questions?

How often can/should I do yoga each week? Those are the only two classes I can go to but if I could follow the others online, how often should I do it? And there are a million different ones to choose from. Where should I start? I saw one called morning yoga and was 20 minutes long. Is that daily?

I don't want to overdo it but twice a week doesn't seem like enough.

I'll happily defer to those who know more, but my understanding is that it's better to do a little every day than a lot once or twice a week.  That's not to say an hour long class a day would be too much.  I'm not sure what would constitute too much.  But I believe that if it's a choice between an hour once a week or ten minutes a day -- ten minutes a day is preferable.

Yes!  I love yoga.  I've been practicing yoga for 5 years.  I've never been able to take classes anywhere, they are too far away.  But I have made use of online services as well as home videos.  I love vinyasa, Hatha, and I'm starting to enjoy Kundalini.  I run and do kettlebell, but I always come back to yoga.  Right now I'm trying to do a short Kundalini Kryia everyday.  Yoga has a way of helping my mind to stop (as in all of it's pointless running around it does), and I have gained so much from the asanas as well.  

To me, yoga is therapy (running is too, but yoga even more).  

Enjoy!

I've done yoga for something like 19 years now (wow, I feel old...) I've only taken one eight-week class, and I find that for myself using a video works well. I've been using David Swenson's Astanga Yoga Short Forms for years, and I never, ever get tired of it. I also run, but when I run without doing yoga during the week I start to get a twitchy hip and knee. The yoga seems to take care of all those things!

How much should you do? I agree with a PP that said a little each day is better than a lot once a week. That said, it's *your* practice, and you can do as much as you like. I've varied between an hour every day of the week to a 15-minute practice a couple of times a week, to stretches without. I always feel better when I've been doing yoga.

I'd agree with others that the texting during class is rude.

Enjoy your new-found love!

My first class was kundalini yoga and my second one was iyengar. I know virtually nothing about yoga but those were the names of the two classes. I liked them both though they were very different. The kundalini made me feel better than a full body massage! The iyengar was more challenging physically but made me feel strong.

I am going to check out that site. Can I ask a few questions?

How often can/should I do yoga each week? Those are the only two classes I can go to but if I could follow the others online, how often should I do it? And there are a million different ones to choose from. Where should I start? I saw one called morning yoga and was 20 minutes long. Is that daily?

I don't want to overdo it but twice a week doesn't seem like enough.

Yoga can be practiced everyday.  Even if I'm running or doing kettlebell, I end with about 10 to 15 minutes of yoga stretches (Sage Rountree has some great online resources for that).  I would love to do a 90 min practice everyday, but I don't have that sort of time.  And you will make the most gains in yoga with daily practice, even if that practice is short.  There are a few online services.  Right now I'm using YogaGlo.  There is also YogaVibes as well as YogaToday.

If you can go to a class once or twice a week, you can then add some home videos.  Giam always made nice ones, and I loved Shiva Rae's DVDs.  I saw some Kundalini ones on Amazon, but I haven't tried them.   

You are SO LUCKY.  I have tried to like yoga.  Really tried.  I believe it to be the most awesome exercise around.  My mom did yoga for years and years and her body was just amazing.  In old age, after severe arthritis and two hip replacements, the doc thinks she is still in as good shape as she is from all those years before of yoga!

There is something about it for me that feels like torture.   I tend to like exercise that involves dance music, I focus on the music and that's what makes me feel happy.  The silence and breathing of yoga....  I have tried to embrace it.  I still hate it.  Just tried again recently as DH is interested.  He loved it.  *sigh*

I think we know what feeds us, and you found it!  Good for you!

If an older middle aged woman with achy joints wanted to start yoga, couldn't afford classes at this time, and knows nothing about it except everyone around her has been praising it for years, what would you experts suggest?  Preferably a DVD.

If an older middle aged woman with achy joints wanted to start yoga, couldn't afford classes at this time, and knows nothing about it except everyone around her has been praising it for years, what would you experts suggest?  Preferably a DVD.

I don't have a specific DVD to recommend, but more than anything I'd suggest that you must remember it's *your* practice, and it's not likely that you'll look like the instructors do when you start, and it's not likely that you'll be able to do everything at the beginning. It's something that happens over time, and being patient with yourself is part of the package.

I started yoga because I wanted something for stretching.  i  was doing a nordic track ski-machine (which I really liked.)  I picked up a dvd so i could do it at home.  I've had many dvds since them. the first is still my favorite.  It also has alot of twisting postures as well - and I really like the fact those help get rid of toxins in the body and clear the system.

yoga made me feel good.  I could breath better, I could move better, better balance, etc.  It just felt good.

I injured my meniscus in oct, so I've had a break, but I'm ready to get back - very carefully as my knee is weak and will still "freeze" if I do too much.

here's a list of 77 benefits from yoga compiled by a nurse.

Another omaw -- older, middle aged, woman w/ a serious but totally dumb question: is a pink mat silly? My husband bought be a pink yoga mat hoping I'll do yoga. Is that the color people are using?

I so want to try, but I get shy in group exercise classes. I also need to buy tennis shoes and I'm seeing of neon colors. Is the what everyone is wearing now?

Alley

my favorite is just for this age/fitness group.

suzanne deason's

(there are other clips that give you an idea what the dvd is like.)  she gives instruction on how to watch position, and their is a "personal instructor" feature on the dvd which I've never gotten to work.  there is only one practice.  all levels are shown - so you can see all levels from fully modified to the full pose.  you can have all levels displayed, or just the one you are following.  as you get in better shape, you will automatically move up in form as your body will want to go deeper into the pose.

(as much as I loved her yoga dvd - i hated the pilates dvd.  it was really boring.)

oh - I have back issues - and yoga has helped my back/neck considerably so I don't need to see my chiro as often.  when I do need to go to the chiro - the adjustments are more easy, and hold longer.

Another omaw -- older, middle aged, woman w/ a serious but totally dumb question: is a pink mat silly? My husband bought be a pink yoga mat hoping I'll do yoga. Is that the color people are using?

I so want to try, but I get shy in group exercise classes. I also need to buy tennis shoes and I'm seeing of neon colors. Is the what everyone is wearing now?

Alley

I have two pink mats.  one even has 'damask' flowers on it.  I don't go to class.  most people aren't going to be paying attention to what color mat you are using or what you are wearing.

you dont' wear shoes to do yoga.  at most, you can use yoga socks which have grippers so you don't slide.  most will be barefoot.

as far as clothes - wear something comfortable that you can easily move in.  I have capri's and yoga tanks with built-in bras.  (careful about lululemon - their pants have been recalled for being see-through.  and their ceo is a huge jerk who doesn't seem to care if he insults his customers.) 

I buy my yoga clothes at tjmaxx - I like kyodan because it's good quality and it's spandex so it hugs (no tangling), but moves. I prefer capris to yoga pants.  easier to grab my lower legs for a pose and not have my hands slide.

Alley

I like being inconspicuous so the neon shoes wouldn't work for me  :laugh: If my dh bought me a pink mat I would have to wonder about him since I detest pink (although every other female in this family loves pink).  But, I would still use it if he got it for me.  If I had my choice, I would pick something real boring like gray or tan.

I would be shy in a group too, especially since I'm older, not in fantastic (not bad but not great) shape, and I don't know anything, but truthfully there are probably a lot of other beginners.

Alley

I've seen a rainbow of colors for yoga mats at the gym as well as different patterns.  If you like your pink yoga mat, then rock it!  

Bright colors are popular right now but there are athletic shoes in dark colors as well.  My dh bought me a pair of black and grey shoes for Christmas.  If you like the bright colors then wear them, if not keep shopping.  

I do a lot of group exercise and find the atmosphere to be inviting to new people.  Just come in and have fun.  No one expects you to be the best and get everything perfect.

Use the color you like! I just got a new mat (boring-ish color, but with lines on it for alignment), since I wore out my bright yellow one. And no--no shoes in yoga (but as I get older I find myself buying the brightest, craziest color running shoes I can find!)

Your shape doesn't matter, your status ("beginner" or "experienced") doesn't matter, other people's mat colors don't matter, it only matter that you practice for you.

That said, the kids are upstairs for resting time so it's time for me to bust out the mat!

After surviving chemo and radiation in early 2012, I chose yoga to help me recover. The first gentle class I went to really kicked my weak butt, but in just a short time, I was stronger and more flexible. My oncologist suggested yoga especially to prevent (break up?) scar tissue in my shoulder muscles near where I had radiation. Worked like a charm!

I love going to a class...everyone is encouraging and often quite quiet. I rock a pretty purple mat and black Under Amour yoga pants. You see all kinds of mats, outfits, and people in the yoga class.  

After several months of at least once a week yoga class, I had a couple of medical scans to have done. I was surprised how much I could direct my mind toward calmness during the procedures. In one I had to have my arms over my head for a time. My right arm was broken and healed crooked in my late 20s so it aches in that position. I just kept telling myself to 'bring awareness to my ankles and feet' to distract me. It really helped.

Like a previous poster, my back and neck are much improved by regular yoga practice.

I totally enjoy yoga...classes give me discipline, but as busy as I am these days, I really need to have a better home practice.

These yoga classes have been the most gentle, non-threatening environment I have ever been in for exercise. I have taken Zumba and hip hop exercise classes, spinning, etc. and this is the first time I didn't feel in competition with the other people in the class. We are all in our own little world, in the moment. I have a fantastic instructor who is warm and kind and gentle. I look forward to adding more yoga by video to my life too!

For beginners I recommend Erich Schiffmann's Backyard Series:http://www.amazon.com/Beginning-Yoga-Erich-Schiffmann/dp/0972683658/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1389230258&sr=8-5&keywords=backyard+series+yoga

I second the recommendation for Yoga Journal dvds because I believe they are more likely to emphasize proper form.

My introduction to yoga was P90X, and I'm eternally grateful to Tony Horton for putting it in the program. However, it's definitely not the best yoga practice on the planet...

I like to tell beginners to take as many classes as possible so that they can learn proper form, esp. In chaturanga. It's very easy to just muscle through the pushup-like movements and end up with shoulder and elbow injuries. I did. :o If you cannot take live classes, then I recommend spending some time learning good form.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been in love with yoga since I was 14. A friend of ours had a book and I would just practice the poses on and off until I took my first class in my late 20s. I've taken classes on and off through the years. Now I usually do DVDs. My absolute favorites are the DVDs by Mark Laham. Use their "10off" code and you'll get an extra 10% off and/or free shipping. I feel so energized and my muscles feel so stretched. He's a great instructor and you really get your $'s worth with each DVD - about 3 separate workouts in each DVD. He knows his stuff. Plus, he's not annoying, like some exercise videos can be. 
I have lots of yoga DVDs, and, to me, he, is without a doubt, the absolute best.  My former yoga instructor liked him a lot also. And her opinion is one that I obviously respect.

And here's a free yoga site

P.s. Is it considered bad form to send and receive texts messages during yoga class? There was a guy tonight in my class who was texting in between each exercise. I thought it was rude but I tend to be a fuddy-duddy about those things.

I would say, yes it is bad form. 

I absolutely hated the yoga portion of P90X.

Me too, Hated it! 

Really stupid question: I've also just started yoga -- a gentle yoga class -- and I was fine until the instructor went into "warrior III." I was like, um, I don't think so.

My balance is bad. I'm working w/ a dr. on it to figure out why. Does practicing these balance poses really get you better at it???

Alley

I've been in love with yoga since I was 14. A friend of ours had a book and I would just practice the poses on and off until I took my first class in my late 20s. I've taken classes on and off through the years. Now I usually do DVDs. My absolute favorites are the DVDs by Mark Laham. Use their "10off" code and you'll get an extra 10% off and/or free shipping. I feel so energized and my muscles feel so stretched. He's a great instructor and you really get your $'s worth with each DVD - about 3 separate workouts in each DVD. He knows his stuff. Plus, he's not annoying, like some exercise videos can be. 

I have lots of yoga DVDs, and, to me, he, is without a doubt, the absolute best.  My former yoga instructor liked him a lot also. And her opinion is one that I obviously respect.

And here's a free yoga site

I would say, yes it is bad form. 

Me too, Hated it! 

dc71f6ba02b33dba2995495b1fc4ffba.jpg

Negin -- This free site is AWESOME. Why do they give such a beautiful site away for free? I'm just wondering how it works. Thank you so much for this link!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Alley

Really stupid question: I've also just started yoga -- a gentle yoga class -- and I was fine until the instructor went into "warrior III." I was like, um, I don't think so.

My balance is bad. I'm working w/ a dr. on it to figure out why. Does practicing these balance poses really get you better at it???

Alley

yes, doing poses that require balance will work the small muscles you need to be balanced. my balance is much better than before I started.  you do need to do them regularly.  

if your dr can't find a physical reason for your balance being off, you can also check with a chiropractor.  sometimes the skeleton being off will throw off the balance. yoga will help your spine too.

however, if you need to modify the pose, or use props to remain stable through the pose, do so.

yoga journal has more information

yes, doing poses that require balance will work the small muscles you need to be balanced. my balance is much better than before I started.  you do need to do them regularly.  

if your dr can't find a physical reason for your balance being off, you can also check with a chiropractor.  sometimes the skeleton being off will throw off the balance. yoga will help your spine too.

however, if you need to modify the pose, or use props to remain stable through the pose, do so.

yoga journal has more information

Thanks Garden Mom! Just out of curiosity, how much yoga do you do each day? Each week? Having grown up occasionally watching Lillias, Yoga and You on PBS I was really "blah" towards yoga.

But in the last year or so I've really become interested. Then I took a couple of classes and realized how great yoga is. I think I was thinking that only weight training and aerobic workout "did anything." Now I realize how much strength and flexibility is involved w/ yoga. It's amazing to see some of the poses.

Alley

I, too, really want to enjoy yoga, but I never have.  I'm not good at it.  Not that I ever gave it a chance long enough to become good at it, but everything about it is incredibly difficult for me.

I am completely inflexible.  I cannot quite my mind and concentrate.  I cannot sit still.  All of these things I really feel would benefit me to practice, but I just find it nearly impossible to do.  Not to mention the fact that I can't get into most of the poses because of my lifelong lack of flexibility, and it's incredibly frustrating and not at all enjoyable.

I still think if I took the time to learn, I'd benefit.  Long-standing aches and pains, long-standing battles inside my head...both need to be addressed.  Perhaps it's time I give it a go again. 

Thanks Garden Mom! Just out of curiosity, how much yoga do you do each day? Each week? Having grown up occasionally watching Lillias, Yoga and You on PBS I was really "blah" towards yoga.

But in the last year or so I've really become interested. Then I took a couple of classes and realized how great yoga is. I think I was thinking that only weight training and aerobic workout "did anything." Now I realize how much strength and flexibility is involved w/ yoga. It's amazing to see some of the poses.

Alley

I'm getting back to yoga after an injury.  I was consistently doing a 50 minute practice 4X's per week - working on adding in barre, and working towards adding more days.  you should start noticing a difference even if you only do it 2 or 3 times per week.

yoga builds the core.  here's a list of 77 benefits of yoga.

I had reached the point I could put my hands, palms togther (really, just fingertips) behind my back.  when I started I could only grab my forearms. even though I haven't been able to do it for awihle do it injuring my knee, I can still put my fingertips together. (working towards the palms)  the first thing I noticed with yoga was how much better I could breathe.  yesterday - I really enjoyed how deep in my lungs I was breathing. 

teacher makes a difference.  stick with someone who knows yoga, and can explain things well.

I, too, really want to enjoy yoga, but I never have.  I'm not good at it.  Not that I ever gave it a chance long enough to become good at it, but everything about it is incredibly difficult for me.

I am completely inflexible.  I cannot quite my mind and concentrate.  I cannot sit still.  All of these things I really feel would benefit me to practice, but I just find it nearly impossible to do.  Not to mention the fact that I can't get into most of the poses because of my lifelong lack of flexibility, and it's incredibly frustrating and not at all enjoyable.

I still think if I took the time to learn, I'd benefit.  Long-standing aches and pains, long-standing battles inside my head...both need to be addressed.  Perhaps it's time I give it a go again. 

One of my favorite things about the DVD I use is when the instructor says, "Don't be in a rush. You can practice yoga your whole life." There is no hurry. I don't think anybody is "good" at it from the get-go, but it's the practice of it that's beneficial.

Seriously, it doesn't matter if you're inflexible or if your mind is going a mile a minute. Just practice. And give it time.

Just another little bump for those who love yoga. I got to go with my hubby to a resort in Puerta Vallarta, Mexico last week. (He flew a charter down there, I flew commercial to join him.) 

One of the highlights of the trip was....

yoga

on

the

beach.

Swoon....

Alley

Alley, yes, practicing definitely makes it better. My balance is not that good at all, but I do notice that when I'm regular and consistent, I improve. The older we get, the more challenging it becomes to maintain balance. Balance is one of the keys in preventing falls later in life. 

Hey, Negin, I got the book you recommended in the 2013 BaW thread, Yoga For Women, but I am not sure how to implement it.   :blush:  Does that instructor do dvd's?   Classes locally are out of the question  (there just aren't any), so I'm on my own to figure things out.

p.s. Which of the Mark Laham dvds is best for an absolute beginner?

I love the book for detailed instruction and benefits with regards to each pose. I refer to it often for that. To me, it's motivating. I don't think she does DVDs. 

For an absolute beginner, it's hard for me to say which one. I absolutely love the Yin Yoga DVD. Yin Yoga is basically holding a stretch for 3-5 minutes or so. It gives you a much deeper stretch and has incredible benefits. My instructor told me that it's the closest thing to acupuncture. Both DVDs have sections for beginners. I would suggest looking at video samples of any DVD before purchasing. See if it's what you like. DVDs are quite subjective and tastes vary. Honestly, I love both of his DVDs and wish that he would come out with more. 

http://www.myyogaonline.com/about-us/teachers/mark-laham - has quite a few video samples. The totalfitnessdvd site in my previous post also has samples. 

Lots of people, especially those who are averse to yoga being weird or whatever, find that they like Sarah Ivanhoe - she has a few DVDs on amazon.

I'd love to get Ellen Barrett's Yogini Workout - simply because I love Ellen. 

Negin -- This free site is AWESOME. Why do they give such a beautiful site away for free? I'm just wondering how it works. Thank you so much for this link!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Alley

I heard about it on the Video Fitness forums. I haven't tried it out yet. There's lots of free workouts online. Tons of barre workouts also. 

One of the highlights of the trip was....

yoga

on

the

beach.

Swoon....

Heaven! I used to take a weekly Yin Yoga class on the beach. :)