Menu

Should I quit Latin?

It is a constant struggle to get Latin done each day.  My boys hate it and honestly, I hate teaching it.  I have never enjoyed teaching foreign language so my lack of enthusiasm probably isn't helping the situation.  I have no issue with the program we're using; it's a quality program that isn't too dry.  I also see the value of Latin but at what point do you decide this isn't a hill worth dying for?  Are there any good self-paced computer programs besides Rosetta Stone?  My youngest is using Classical Academic Press' new online class but it's for younger students.  Should I just transition over to a quality roots program instead?  I've looked at a couple but they look really boring.  Any ideas or suggestions?

Tiffany - Reading this:

It is a constant struggle to get Latin done each day.  My boys hate it and honestly, I hate teaching it.  I have never enjoyed teaching foreign language so my lack of enthusiasm probably isn't helping the situation.  I have no issue with the program we're using; it's a quality program that isn't too dry.  I also see the value of Latin but at what point do you decide this isn't a hill worth dying for?  Are there any good self-paced computer programs besides Rosetta Stone?  My youngest is using Classical Academic Press' new online class but it's for younger students.  Should I just transition over to a quality roots program instead?  I've looked at a couple but they look really boring.  Any ideas or suggestions?

My answer is, "Yes." You aren't going to get anything out of it & dropping it is going to make you feel much better. 

At some point, you can add vocab or just play Rummy Roots. If you don't, your kids aren't going to be failures. 

Susan - Did you guys go with LC1 or Prima? I'm so glad I started with Prima. My dd#2 (second time around w/Prima) and dd#3 are sailing through PL this year. Since it is my second time around, I'm not having them watch the videos. That is helping a ton with attitude! Now, First Form still hurts my head . . . but I figure by the time it is my second time around with it, it'll be just as 'old hat' as Prima!  :gnorsi:  (And don't be afraid of covering the vocab by itself this year and adding in the conjugations/declension stuff next year in your second time through LC. It is easier to only learn one thing at a time.)

I'll be the naysayer and encourage you to keep going. Isn't that the main benefit to Latin, to learn something to mastery even though it's hard? 

That being said, I am right there with you! For the first few years we were enjoying Latin, it was just memorizing vocabulary. Now we need to parse and translate and I want to drop it on a semi-daily basis. But, I keep seeing quantifiable progress that we are making and I think it's good for us both to see how sticking with it will pay off.

Can you outsource it to an online class?  Oftentimes, students pick up the attitude of the teacher. If you don't like teaching it, they won't like learning it, and none of you will get anything but frustration from it.  If you can outsource it to an outstanding teacher, your children may find they like it and you can walk alongside them, cheering them on. A win for all of you.

Or you might find out they really just don't like Latin. That's good to know, too, because then you can drop it with no angst or "what ifs..." 

Yes, but ...

Don't skip the latin and greek roots and such.  Hummm .... isn't it Vocabulary Bridges?  I think so.  I will check this in a bit and ETA if not.  It does word study.  Look at the study of the Greek and Latin languages as it applies to words and study words.  You will get more out of it too.  Great prep for the SAT as well.  :)  LOL

Guest Midwest Academy of Arts an

Hi I am new to the forum and thank all of you for sharing your thoughts. I saw this discussion because I've been talking to a friend about Latin, and just wrote a blog post (which is not up yet, but will be soon) and I would ask yourself this: "What do I want my child to get out of Latin?" If it's a career as a scholar, or a priest, or linguist, some other field where the language is a must, that's a good reason. If it's to learn roots and figure out more about our own language and other romance languages, that's a good reason too, but the amount and focus would be different. If the kids still are interested but just seem bored, I'd suggest changing materials. We use a variety of things, from Mango Languages http://www.mangolanguages.com/ to the aforementioned Classical Academic Press (videos and books) to the Cambridge Latin http://www.cambridgescp.com/Upage.php?p=clc%5Etop%5Ehome which is really good for an older child, and contains an integrated history program (the books are based on ancient Pompeii through archaeology and it was designed by the Cambridge Latin Department.)

A shift in perspective usually keeps us involved, but if you feel the child has learned enough for his needs, then by all means quit your Latin or take a break and go on to a new language like Spanish. Honestly, he'll already know a huge percentage of it if he's done Latin. But definitely examine the goals before deciding. Good Luck!