Menu

Ipad Air or Ipad Mini for education?

If you could only choose one, would you prefer the new iPad Air or the new iPad mini retina for use as a homeschool parent? My main uses would be pdf teacher manuals and other files, some educational apps, scheduling apps, and sometimes watching educational videos.

The screen size of the Air is very appealing for pdf files, but the portability of the mini seems wonderful. If anyone has experience with either of these as a teaching parent, I would love to hear your input.

I love the size of the mini. It's not too heavy in my hand, but the screen is still large enough to view PDFs comfortably. Ds has an iPad 2, and it just feels too bulky for me. I know the Air is a lot thinner and lighter, but without a some kind of cover, iPads all feel too slippery and fragile to me, so adding a cover bulks it up. Ds has a cover with a built in keyboard, which is nice to use, but really adds to the weight and thickness of the iPad. Dh has a cover that can protect his iPad from drops and spills, but it is rather thick. I have an Otterbox on my mini, which is 2 separate pieces. It does add weight and thickness, especially with both pieces in use, but I don't use the part that works as a stand very often. The other piece completely encases the mini, but the added weight and thickness don't bother me with the smaller size of the mini. It seems way too slippery without it, imho. I have quite a few PDF files on here, mostly teacher manuals. I also use Scholaric, Discovery Streaming (although I've been having trouble with that since the latest Apple update), a few educational apps, and of course the Kindle and Audible app for when I'm not using my Kindle Fire. I bought my mini refurbished through Apple, and it may as well have been new except for the price. 

ETA: I have the original mini, not the retina.

I have ipad2 through my work. My kids have ipad mini. So do several family members. I'm beginning to think I'd prefer the mini. It's just so discrete and easier to take along. However I do prefer reading PDFs on my ipad for the size of the screen. I read my sewing patterns on the iBooks app. This prevents me from having to print the entire pattern. Instead I print the pattern pages and then read the instructions from the ipad. I also like to use the ipad for TM, instructions, etc.

I received an air for Christmas. I like the size of the screen and the "keyboard" as I'm getting older and my fingers must be too fat for the phone-size. I have never seen a mini, so I don't know how that compares to the air. (Dh intended to get me the mini, but it was sold out around here when he went shopping......on Christmas Eve.)

You'll start with one but end up wanting a 2nd, just so you know.  Might make that decision easier or harder.  :D

If I were only getting one, I'd go regular.  With 2, I'd get a regular and a mini.  Pdfs will be better on the regular, also videos, games where you want the pieces bigger, etc.  I'd use a mini for single page ebooks, audiobooks, etc.

My husband has an iPad Air and my daughter has an iPad Mini, and after seeing them both and using them both, I think I'd vote for the Mini.  The Mini isn't as small as I thought it'd be, and I think you can do the same things on the Mini that you can do on the Air.  And, you can NOT do the same things on the Mini as the Air, such as using its keyboard easily, or for word processing.  I did get my daughter a case with a keyboard in it, and I've seen regular sized foldable keyboards that you can get for either the Air or the Mini.  The advantage that the Mini has is that it is small enough to put in a purse.

The Air, but I have an iPad2 and really like it. If anything, I think the Air is too small. I am literally never without mine so I just throw my iPad in my purse and take it with me wherever I go. I have a cheap leather(ish?) cover that I got on Amazon so it looks a bit like a notebook/portfolio thingie.

My dh prefers the mini and would trade his 4 for a mini any day. When it came time for the kids to get one, my son preferred the Air while my girls wanted the mini. We got the Air just cuz, though most probably because I'm the one who paid for it. All three of our kids share the one iPad which brings our grand total to 3 and I think makes my Mac mini downstairs feel a bit sad, lonely, and neglected.

Purchasing ours has been some combination of saving and gift money from lots of friends and family which makes opening presents a bit on the dull side. ;)

I have the original mini. It is surprisingly good for pdfs. The screen is squarish, and the borders are narrow. Also you can pinch enlarge a page whenever you need to see something larger.

White is better for eBook reading. Black is better for video. I have white as I do far more eBook reading than video watching.

My fingers are short, so the mini keyboard is fine.

The mini is lighter to hold than a full sized tablet. I do a LOT of eBook reading and really appreciate the light weight. When I bought the mini, the air wasn't out yet. I might have gotten the air. But after getting used to the mini, I don't think I'll ever get the larger size.

I just got a regular sized iPad (4th gen) and like the size for reading pdfs.  I can't imagine trying to read on something smaller.

That said, it is somewhat big (but not terribly, considering DH and I ususally lug a laptop around with us when we travel!) 

I foresee this becoming my "home" device and getting a mini in a few years for travel and being out-and-about.

I have ipad2 through my work. My kids have ipad mini. So do several family members. I'm beginning to think I'd prefer the mini. It's just so discrete and easier to take along. However I do prefer reading PDFs on my ipad for the size of the screen. I read my sewing patterns on the iBooks app. This prevents me from having to print the entire pattern. Instead I print the pattern pages and then read the instructions from the ipad. I also like to use the ipad for TM, instructions, etc.

I love the size of the mini. It's not too heavy in my hand, but the screen is still large enough to view PDFs comfortably. Ds has an iPad 2, and it just feels too bulky for me. I know the Air is a lot thinner and lighter, but without a some kind of cover, iPads all feel too slippery and fragile to me, so adding a cover bulks it up. Ds has a cover with a built in keyboard, which is nice to use, but really adds to the weight and thickness of the iPad. Dh has a cover that can protect his iPad from drops and spills, but it is rather thick. I have an Otterbox on my mini, which is 2 separate pieces. It does add weight and thickness, especially with both pieces in use, but I don't use the part that works as a stand very often. The other piece completely encases the mini, but the added weight and thickness don't bother me with the smaller size of the mini. It seems way too slippery without it, imho. I have quite a few PDF files on here, mostly teacher manuals. I also use Scholaric, Discovery Streaming (although I've been having trouble with that since the latest Apple update), a few educational apps, and of course the Kindle and Audible app for when I'm not using my Kindle Fire. I bought my mini refurbished through Apple, and it may as well have been new except for the price. 

ETA: I have the original mini, not the retina.

My husband has an iPad Air and my daughter has an iPad Mini, and after seeing them both and using them both, I think I'd vote for the Mini.  The Mini isn't as small as I thought it'd be, and I think you can do the same things on the Mini that you can do on the Air.  And, you can NOT do the same things on the Mini as the Air, such as using its keyboard easily, or for word processing.  I did get my daughter a case with a keyboard in it, and I've seen regular sized foldable keyboards that you can get for either the Air or the Mini.  The advantage that the Mini has is that it is small enough to put in a purse.

I just got a regular sized iPad (4th gen) and like the size for reading pdfs.  I can't imagine trying to read on something smaller.

That said, it is somewhat big (but not terribly, considering DH and I ususally lug a laptop around with us when we travel!) 

I foresee this becoming my "home" device and getting a mini in a few years for travel and being out-and-about.

I love my mini.

I was so glad to see this thread, because I am trying to decide between the 7' Kindle Fire HDX & the 8.9" HDX (I know they aren't the IPAD :001_smile:) and I'm really torn.  The price is obviously a huge factor, but this is a big purchase for us so I want to make the right choice.  

When you all talk about the portability of the mini, where are you taking it & how are you using it???  Honestly, the only time I could see bringing it along is on vacation, so that the kids can watch movies on it or do some schoolwork or reading.  Which leads to my question, if you watch movies on the mini, isn't it difficult because of the size, especially if 2 kids were going to watch?  My main purposes would be to put a bunch of TM's on it, units from Currclick, both with & without video links, Drawing with Pastels (class) for my dd, bunches of ebooks (readers & read alouds)  & misc.  I can't imagine I'd be using lots of apps, or games.  I would love to get the 7" because of the cost, but I'm just worried it'll be too small.  If we are looking at art prints, magazines, etc.... is that doable or a pain?

Thanks for any input!

My three cents:

1. Agreed that you will get more than one eventually.  My family now has three!  So, start with one for now, and maybe try the other in a year or two.

2. For around the house, nothing beats a big screen.  But, if you are out and about, the ability to put a mini in your purse is a huge plus.

3. Your choice of case or folio will change your experience greatly.  Be choosy.  Don't add the weight of a keyboard case if you don't need to.  (I have a separate keyboard, used around the house, and use he on screen keyboard when out of the house.  When out, I may check email, but I never really do things like document editing.  Mostly I'm reading something while waiting for a kid to be done with some activity.)

When you all talk about the portability of the mini, where are you taking it & how are you using it???  Honestly, the only time I could see bringing it along is on vacation, so that the kids can watch movies on it or do some schoolwork or reading.  Which leads to my question, if you watch movies on the mini, isn't it difficult because of the size, especially if 2 kids were going to watch? 

Honestly, based on what you said, I'd get a full-sized one.

I currently use mine to read OPGTR pdf (just the right size on a full-sized).  My youngest plays on Reading Raven while I school my oldest.  My oldest plays School of Dragons as an incentive once schoolwork is finished.

As far as portability:  I definitely plan on taking mine on vacations and out-of-town visits to family.  I'll also use it to entertain youngest DD while oldest is playing YMCA basketball (and vice versa, when oldest is waiting on youngest's swim lessons).  Neither of mine are independent readers, so we aren't at a "take a book with us" stage... but they can play games on the iPad.

Air, not mini!

We went to the Apple store to get a mini for dd and came home with a second regular sized iPad. Watching videos is so great on an iPad, and big screen movies do not translate well to a mini, IMO. PDFs are better too on the big iPad. Apps can be good on either size.

As pp asked, how much will you be carrying the iPad around? Ours almost never leave the house. If we are away for a day, we carry so much stuff that iPad weight does not make much of a difference, lol.

My recommendation is that you go to an Apple store to try out models. It's an important purchase, not only in terms of money, but in terms of how much you will use it.

Wellll, we had a Nook Tablet, then I bought dh a Nook HD+.  I bought myself an iPad Air for Christmas and I love it!  I would not want the mini for myself, though the others are right, we will probably be getting a mini for the kids to use.  We also have a Kindle Fire and a Kindle Fire HD.  I much prefer the iPad.  I am actually considering getting rid of the Nook Tablet and the Kindles.  I think dh would like to keep his, but for the rest of us iPads are the way to go.

When you all talk about the portability of the mini, where are you taking it & how are you using it???

Ummm, everywhere I am? I don't have a mini, but an iPad2 so it's much bigger than what you're thinking of, but I am lost without mine. It's my calendar so I can keep track of the entire family's schedules including alerts so I won't forget where I need to be. It's my address book so I can get in touch with people if I need to be. It's like a GPS for me. I load up my directions before I leave the house, make sure the detail maps are cached, and then I'm never lost. I use an RSS reader so I load blogs and news articles that I can then read online. It's my "kids be quiet while momy picks out fabric (or whatever)" device since my dh works a lot and life keeps going when he's working. It's my calculator when I'm out grocery shopping to figure unit prices. When I'm at a store with WiFi, it lets me price match online so I never pay more than I need to. I use the notes feature to keep track of books/websites/prices/sizes/etc instead of little slips of paper or notebooks that I lose.

I also use it to keep track of our home library as it syncs with the my Mac app. This way I know which books I need to buy for school for when I'm thrift storing/used book shopping.

I have three kids and wouldn't want anything smaller than the Air for the kids to watch movies on. The same would be true of my two girls. Aything smaller and they'd be fighting over it.

Plus, for PDFs and such I really think the larger screen size is preferrable.

We (my kids and I) take our iPads EVERYWHERE! Seriously we can be driving down the road and someone is either playing a game, reading a book, or listening to music. Not to mention that almost everywhere we go has free wifi Internet. Very convenient for checking emails (or Facebook or forums) on the go.

Since I have the ipad2 I had to make myself a bigger purse to be able to haul it around, but it is almost ALWAYS with me. For that reason alone I'd actually prefer the mini for portability.

If anyone is wondering I am successfully using these pdf curricula on the mini.

SOTW AG

Mr. Q

Grapevine Stick Figuring through the Bible TM 1/2

Draw and Write through History

Reading Lessons through Literature

Language Lessons through Literature

How to Tutor/Alpha-Phonics

Spectrum Math

Squilt music

Funky Nursery Harmonica

I do sometimes have to pinch open part of a pdf to see the area better, and wouldn't have to do that on the air. But none of these frustrate me at all.

And of course all Kindle books are created to display beautifully, so I won't even list those.

I have a 7" Kindle Fire and an iPad 4. I prefer the Kindle for reading, and the iPad for anything involving typing. But if I had it to do over again, I would have gotten the Kindle and a laptop. The iPad is just way over priced for what you are getting. I could have gotten a nice laptop for the price and been able to do so much more.

Wellll, we had a Nook Tablet, then I bought dh a Nook HD+.  I bought myself an iPad Air for Christmas and I love it!  I would not want the mini for myself, though the others are right, we will probably be getting a mini for the kids to use.  We also have a Kindle Fire and a Kindle Fire HD.  I much prefer the iPad.  I am actually considering getting rid of the Nook Tablet and the Kindles.  I think dh would like to keep his, but for the rest of us iPads are the way to go.

Why don't you like the Kindle Fire HD?  

If anyone is wondering I am successfully using these pdf curricula on the mini.

SOTW AG

Mr. Q

Grapevine Stick Figuring through the Bible TM 1/2

Draw and Write through History

Reading Lessons through Literature

Language Lessons through Literature

How to Tutor/Alpha-Phonics

Spectrum Math

Squilt music

Funky Nursery Harmonica

I do sometimes have to pinch open part of a pdf to see the area better, and wouldn't have to do that on the air. But none of these frustrate me at all.

And of course all Kindle books are created to display beautifully, so I won't even list those.

So you don't mind the small size when viewing your pdf's?  That's what I'm really anxious to use it for-I'm so sicking of printing everything.  Also, I want my dc to use some of the Brandenburg Unit Studies on Currclick & they have the video links.  What about recipes on the mini?

So you don't mind the small size when viewing your pdf's? That's what I'm really anxious to use it for-I'm so sicking of printing everything. Also, I want my dc to use some of the Brandenburg Unit Studies on Currclick & they have the video links. What about recipes on the mini?

The screen of the mini is actually bigger than the screen on some bigger tablets. It's squarish and has narrower borders. You would have to see them side by side to see how much viewable space the mini has compared to the average large tablet. I was shocked.

Secondly the pages can be pinched open.

On the pdfs with the smallest text, I'll occasionally view it in horizontal and then scroll down. It's rare I need to do that.

I just have not had a problem.

Some books are not printed for 8 1/2 X 11, so are no problem. RLtL and LLtL were formatted for the smaller screen, and even in hardcopy are published in a smaller sized book. Many the vintage books were never 8 1/2 by 11. Mr. Q has large text.

What are you trying to do with recipes? I haven't done much with that, other than Kindle books. Do you mean old vintage pdf cookbooks? Many of them were smaller than 8 1/2 X 11; no problem. I have a few. There must be apps and online programs, if you are interested.