Menu

Partial Curric. for K'er/1st grader

Brindee

Hi there! It's been awhile since I've been over here. I've spent the last month or so playing on the General Forum area. :)

I would like to ask for suggestions though. First off, I'm a big proponent of waiting until the child's ready, and not pushing a child more than what they want. For K, I used fun stuff and made sure the kids enjoyed learning.

This, however, is a child that I will be babysitting for this coming schoolyear only. Her parents are from our church, and the Christian K they were going to send her to this year closed it's doors at the end of last year--after they'd already signed her up, and they never let this family know until the mom called. She asked a question about K, and someone THEN told her they weren't having K anymore.

Anyway, she's 5 1/2. She's quite intelligent. Her parents would REALLY like me to work with her on Reading, Math and History. I already have All American History Volume 2 for my 2 kids, so I'm going to have her do that too a little. ***It's covering Civil War -21st Century, so if anyone has any lapbook ideas or something for a little one to do that goes with that time period, I'm more than willing to hear about it!!!

What I am asking suggestions for is Math and Reading. They don't have much money at all, so I can't go with anything expensive.

For Reading I'll be letting her get on Starfall. We also have an old "Reader Rabbit" that we'll try out on our ancient computer, kept for little ones for just this type of occasion! :) What else is good for Reading? Oh, we do NOT want "Teaching Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons" (by request of mom).

For Math I'm looking at Horizons and A Beka. I like the A Beka math for K-2, after that I don't. Any other math programs that don't cost a lot, but are good? I am using levels 5 and 6 of Singapore for my dd. What do they have for K or 1 Levels? I am not sure what level she is at for math, so I'll just start at K and if she moves through quickly, we'll just keep moving forward! ;)

Any other ideas for great mat programs for K?

I really liked Hooked on Phonics for learning to read. You can get the five-level set with the readers on ebay for pretty cheap.

I'm using Singapore Earlybird for Math. I think the workbook-style textbooks are $20 each and you would need 2 for a whole school year. My dd loves them, they are easy to use and very fun and colorful. They don't really require any prep time either.

I'm not sure how Singapore compares to Abeka or Horizons....

Good luck, and have fun!

What about the ordinary parents guide to teaching reading. I just purchased the book and am not even making the other stuff. I also found some abeka readers that I used. I only used saxon but that is expensive unless all you have to get is the workbook and meeting book. I think for $ considerations you are more likely to find abeka used try all the websites I am sure you will be able to get stuff. I also (can you tell I am just finishing k and starting 1st with 2 dc:)?) picked up from RR a complete book of numbers and counting which is for K-1. It is a workbook and I don't remember it costing a lot. What about getting a couple of Dover coloring books for history? I realize this is convoluted just thinking off the top of my head. HTH

Yes this all helps! I appreciate answers so I can do more research! Thankyou for your answers!

Pam, I used the Saxon 1 with my dd in K--she really liked it! Too bad I got rid of it already! Course I'd have to get a new meeting book. But we had fun anyway! :)

What level is Singapore's Earlybird math? I get confused with their stuff. I may go to our local Education store and see if they can explain it to me! :D

We are using Horizons Math and i would definitely recommend it. I did not find the K level TM to be very helpful & think you would be fine without it. Each year has two books that you can get for 11 or 12 dollars each. You could buy them one at a time if you wanted to try it first or if money is very tight.

hth

What level is Singapore's Earlybird math? I get confused with their stuff. I may go to our local Education store and see if they can explain it to me! :D

It is Kindergarten Math, although I have heard that the first textbook is more upper-preschool level and the second is kindergarten level.

The first book goes through sorting by size, shape, etc., counting from 1 to 10, writing numbers 1 to 10, doing simple graphs, shapes, patterns, length, volume, weight etc. Then the second gets into adding and subtracting with manipulatives, time, money, and more advanced stuff.

Singapore Earlybird has four books. All four used to be called Earlybird Preschool, but when they came out with the US editions (they just added US money, otherwise identical), they changed the name of all four to Earlybird Kindergarten. In reality, the first two are more Pre-K and the second two are K.

They are slim - not big honkin' things like the Walmart style workbook. But really good content. I like slim - not overwhelming! What the teacher needs to do explain/do with the kid is written right at the bottom of the page. I used these with all 3 of my kids very successfully.

And they're waaay cheaper than $20! They're $7.50 a book at Rainbow.

Singapore Earlybird has four books. All four used to be called Earlybird Preschool, but when they came out with the US editions (they just added US money, otherwise identical), they changed the name of all four to Earlybird Kindergarten. In reality, the first two are more Pre-K and the second two are K.

They are slim - not big honkin' things like the Walmart style workbook. But really good content. I like slim - not overwhelming! What the teacher needs to do explain/do with the kid is written right at the bottom of the page. I used these with all 3 of my kids very successfully.

Thankyou matroyshka! That's VERY informative! I'm going to check that out. I don't know that the parents have any clue about what math to use. They'll probably be happy if I choose one and she does well! :001_smile:

You have to make sure she has all her bases covered and that she is not behind a private school- and many many of them are "advanced" b/c they use Abeka...

So I would not mess around with some of the newer curr, or the ones which have different scope and sequences. I would just go ahead and use Abeka math because you know it, you understand it, it's "advanced" and it's affordable!

As far as reading/phonics/La ideally, you could just buy Abeka. You can find a lot of stuff used, and it would ensure that she is on track. It is one of the best phonics programs out there, so you can't go wrong.

If the parents only have to buy math and LA I'm sure they can swing it. They don't need to buy history, Science, etc as those will all be covered naturally...

So that is what I would personally do. I have used some of Abeka's phonics and currently using their math and once you get the swing of things, it's very easy to teach.

I think we are talking about two different versions. The one I'm using is called Singapore Earlybird Standards Edition, because they have changed them slightly to make them conform to US educational standards. It is a newer version, I think. This version has two books around $20 each. Confusing, I know. :001_huh:

What about phonics pathways? I don't think it's very expensive.

I agree with Phonics Pathways, it's relatively cheap on amazon. Good solid reading program, which is working well for my DC.

For phonics workbooks, Explode the Code books are affordable and fun... for my DC, a lot more fun than PP. :) But PP is really helping with reading fluency, so for us each has its place. If you start with the ETC A, B, C books, you'll also have handwriting practice for consonants (lower case mostly). ETC 1 reviews handwriting for vowels.

Best of luck!

I agree, that since she'll be going back to private school next year, that I'd probably spring for the ABeka. Find it used for cheap.

If that's too steep for the parents, for reading I'd probably do Explode the Code, with or without Ordinary Parents Guide to Reading. OPGR might be too much like 100ez lessons for mom's liking, though. I don't like 100ez, but we plan to use OPGR. You might find out why mom doesn't like 100ez lessons, and whether the school teaches phonics or not.

I'm not much help with math. I'm too much of a MUS fan, but I don't think it's probably the best thing for your situation. Might try Primer with Cuisennaire Rods? *shrug*

I think we are talking about two different versions. The one I'm using is called Singapore Earlybird Standards Edition, because they have changed them slightly to make them conform to US educational standards. It is a newer version, I think. This version has two books around $20 each. Confusing, I know. :001_huh:

Ack! I just went to singaporemath.com and saw them! But now instead of a nice little workbook with teacher info included for $7.50 each (that's $15 per year total!), there's two levels each with a workbook ($12) *and* a textbook ($20) *and* a teacher's guide ($46)! Yikes! And are the two levels for just Kindy, or is one for PreK? Who knows??

See, that's what happens when the stupid US Standards people (yes, it's now "approved for school adoption by the California State Board of Education") get their fingers on the stuff - this was the highest rated math system in the world for years, and we have to make it more complicated and more expensive. But better? Methinks not.

To OP - I say, run, don't walk, and buy the earlier books, still available from Rainbow Resource (they are being discontinued).

Aaahhhh... at least I see that the old Primary Math books will be continued "indefinitely". I almost had a little panic :svengo:- I still have a few years to go with those!

Ack! I just went to singaporemath.com and saw them! But now instead of a nice little workbook with teacher info included for $7.50 each (that's $15 per year total!), there's two levels each with a workbook ($12) *and* a textbook ($20) *and* a teacher's guide ($46)! Yikes! And are the two levels for just Kindy, or is one for PreK? Who knows??

See, that's what happens when the stupid US Standards people (yes, it's now "approved for school adoption by the California State Board of Education") get their fingers on the stuff - this was the highest rated math system in the world for years, and we have to make it more complicated and more expensive. But better? Methinks not.

To OP - I say, run, don't walk, and buy the earlier books, still available from Rainbow Resource (they are being discontinued).

Aaahhhh... at least I see that the old Primary Math books will be continued "indefinitely". I almost had a little panic :svengo:- I still have a few years to go with those!

Yeah, I agree it's kind of silly! I have the textbook and activity book and you totally do NOT need the teacher's guide. I actually bought the first one and it was a waste of money. Most of the ideas in it are for a classroom setting. The textbooks still have teaching notes at the bottom of each page. The activity books have a lot of cut and paste-type stuff and basically reinforce the textbook lessons, but you wouldn't have to use them if you were trying to save money.

I think there is another thread on the boards somewhere about the specific differences between the old and new versions of earlybird....

THANKYOU everyone! I do know that the Christian School they're sending her to in first grade does NOT use A Beka materials.

Now I need to digest all the info. and see what I come up with. I think I am more "concerned" with this girl than my own. With my own I could just go at a pace I felt was good for MY children. With someone else's child I want her to succeed and them to be happy! :) I already told them I will be going at her pace, and we will go off on tangents and I will NOT be pushing her to read if she is not ready! If she is, we will go at a pace that suits her. We will also be doing lots of read-alouds.

Okay, thanks to ya'll, I am going to check out some good resources! (I totally forgot about Phonics Pathways and Bob books! They weren't around, or at least, I didn't know about them, when my kids were little, so I need to check them out....

I can't seem to decide on math. I think all three of the curric.s mentioned would be good, and there's sound reasoning behind using each one. So, what to do? Hmmm, as I was typing that I was thought of this: A Beka may be closest to what they will use in the school she'll go to next year. So maybe if I went with that, it'd be less of an adjustment??? Though, Horizons may be too. I've never used it, so I'm not sure.....Aaakkk! Maybe I'll show the parents and have them help decide which looks best? But I don't know if they really even know which they'd want. I think they'd want me to decide.....

Yep, this is harder than choosing for my own child! :D

THANKYOU everyone! I do know that the Christian School they're sending her to in first grade does NOT use A Beka materials.

Now I need to digest all the info. and see what I come up with. I think I am more "concerned" with this girl than my own. With my own I could just go at a pace I felt was good for MY children. With someone else's child I want her to succeed and them to be happy! :) I already told them I will be going at her pace, and we will go off on tangents and I will NOT be pushing her to read if she is not ready! If she is, we will go at a pace that suits her. We will also be doing lots of read-alouds.

Okay, thanks to ya'll, I am going to check out some good resources! (I totally forgot about Phonics Pathways and Bob books! They weren't around, or at least, I didn't know about them, when my kids were little, so I need to check them out....

I can't seem to decide on math. I think all three of the curric.s mentioned would be good, and there's sound reasoning behind using each one. So, what to do? Hmmm, as I was typing that I was thought of this: A Beka may be closest to what they will use in the school she'll go to next year. So maybe if I went with that, it'd be less of an adjustment??? Though, Horizons may be too. I've never used it, so I'm not sure.....Aaakkk! Maybe I'll show the parents and have them help decide which looks best? But I don't know if they really even know which they'd want. I think they'd want me to decide.....

Yep, this is harder than choosing for my own child! :D

Ruth Beechick's The Three R's series is an inexpensive option. The Home Start in Reading book ($4) along with some homemade phonogram cards and early readers from the library really might be enough, though it would involve a little more prep time on your part.

Something like Phonics Pathways, which is what we used as our phonics "program," would be a more convenient way to teach it.

Re. math, I'm very biased in favor of the SM series :). So if I were in your shoes, I'd quickly go through the Earlybird Mathematics series and then work through as much of PM-1A (and even 1B) as possible; this would include the hands-on activities and games. I'd probably also make sure she had some basic math facts memorized, too.

HTH!

Sonlight has a math test that is free online. I think Singapore does too.

I use Abeka math for 1 and it is great. We used K last year.

My other dd7 is finishing up the 2nd grade book. I have enjoyed them both.

For LA, I am using SL but we have abeka LA and it has been very easy. This year we added in Explode the code and that is wonderful. I am very happy with those.

I would say...my almost 6 yo is using...abeka math 1, etc 2-4, reading tons of library books, la abeka 1 letters and sounds and language. If you buy all 3 from abeka they are very cheap.