Menu

favorite frugal decorating sites

shinyhappypeople

I've started watching the HGTV shows on amazon prime, and they send me into fits of compulsive eye-rolling.  Seriously, you're worried because you only have $6,000 to decorate your master bedroom???  What a dilemma!   :nopity:

So, since I am clearly not HGTV's target audience, time to look elsewhere for inspiration.   What are your favorite sites for creative, cost effective (ie: inexpensive) ideas for interior design?  

I was going to say the same thing - start with Pinterest.  Click through to the links to see if you like the source. I've found some great food blogs that way, and some great decorating blogs. 

Here are a few of my decorating faves that I've saved to my Feedly:

http://www.beyondthescreendoor.com/

http://shabbynest.blogspot.com/

http://www.inthefunlane.com/

I like the DIY section of Eat, Sleep, Decorate

HGTV used to have shows on frugal decorating   Design on a Dime, etc.    For a while they only did house flipping shows even when the housing market had gone bust.    I think they have some of those old shows or ideas on their website.  

I used to love Design on a Dime, and another one whose name I don't remember. I stopped watching HGTV when they went to mostly flipping houses, and then shows that don't have much to do with either home (H) or garden (G).

I've started watching the HGTV shows on amazon prime, and they send me into fits of compulsive eye-rolling.  Seriously, you're worried because you only have $6,000 to decorate your master bedroom???  What a dilemma!   :nopity:

So, since I am clearly not HGTV's target audience, time to look elsewhere for inspiration.   What are your favorite sites for creative, cost effective (ie: inexpensive) ideas for interior design?  

I agree. I've always said I wish there was a show or magazine called "Realistic Home" or something like that. 

There's a great little book I love called Use What You Have Decorating. It's fantastic for explaining principles of what looks good and re-arranging or re-purposing what you already have to make things look "designed." I've had this book for 10+ years, but I still think, whenever I'm about to buy something that could have a mate - "Pairs!" because the book talks about use of paired objects as good design. 

Sorry I haven't been back to this thread.  I've been lost in the pinterest vortex.   ;-)

Our living room is shaping up nicely.  I bought an amazing, comfortable, beautiful, new (to us) couch and chair set for $160.  Seriously, these babies are really well made pieces that I'd never, ever be able to afford new.  So, I'm still enjoying the buzz from that find.  (I love you, Craigslist)

The room is 19' x 15', and I've divided it into two spaces.  We have the "living room" space on the end with the fireplace.  The other side of the room is our computer/library/office area. I'm going to paint all of our ugly Wally-world bookcases in the computer space... something...  with a contrasting color on the interior back.    I can't decide if I should go ivory/cream or black/something dark for the exterior of the bookcases. We have this coffee table, with the matching side table.  Our walls area a really, really pretty muted, golden yellow.  I love the color!  I was going to go ivory/cream with the bookcases, but the dark tables look surprisingly good with it.  (ETA: but our fireplace is white, painted brick)  So, I don't know what I'll do.  I want the room to feel warm, relaxed, beautiful, and comfortable.  I want it to be pretty and elegant, without being stuffy.  The kind of room where you can kick your shoes off, and snuggle on the (awesome!) sofa with a good book. :)  I want it to be my Mom Cave - even though it's our only living/family room and the TV and playstation are in here.