Menu

Asychronous accomplishments

Dmmetler

I am pleased to announce that DD9 has FINALLY mastered tying her shoes!!! Nothing like having your child participate as part of a research team of grad students-and have to get someone to help her because she can't tie the laces on her hiking boots (I think that was the main motivation for finally learning.)

Wahoo!!!

Anyone else's kid have an asynchronous accomplishment recently?

Miss E, about to turn 7, out of the blue: "Mom, was the revolutionary war the cruellest or bloodiest in history?"

15 minutes later, to a stranger's request for her name:  "Pikachu."

She also makes a horrific mess when she eats.

I'm still waiting for her to remember to wipe after going potty more than half of the time.  :/  Now that will be an accomplishment.  :/

She could tie her shoes at age 3, though....

dmmetler- you make me laugh.  DD 8 here "kind of" knows how to ties shoes but we aren't completely there.  She also will not cross the street by herself- has no desire.  However, she will participate in adult conversations about animal species, living classifications, black holes, big bang theory, etc.  I have always attributed alot of her asynchronous development to the fact that she is 2E with PG and dyslexia.  But who knows. 5 years ago DS was 10 and using trigonometry to figure out a bridge pattern for our creek, yet having trouble with zippers- and he is not 2E.  

DD has no trouble heading off-trail on mountains with serious drop-offs with the help of a contour map and a compass, but she reaches for a hand to hold in an empty parking lot. She's so mature in some ways, and so immature in others. She's considered to have sensory and motor planning issues-but I think the shoe tying thing was more stubbornness than any lack of ability-she didn't see the point, so she didn't bother to learn how, especially since her fine motor is actually pretty good for her age (it's gross motor where she's borderline delayed).

Gotta love these PG kiddos-since the alternative is to pull your hair out!

My dd-just turned 9-finally will open doors on her own.  Not that she couldn't before, but she tended to walk up to a door and just stand in front of it, waiting for me (or her younger brother) to open it for her.  Perhaps she was a princess in a former life?  I really don't know, but I think sometimes she is just too much in her own little world to bother doing anything as mundane as opening a door! :huh:

Today the new Home Science Tools catalogue arrived in the post. My very excited 4 year old immediately snatched it up and headed off to the bathroom.

I could hear her oohing and ah-ing excitedy...ooh, that would be fun, wow! A weather station! Oh, I could really use that chemistry kit, and mom! They have even MORE specimens to dissect!

Can I get this sheep eyeball next?

And a few minutes later she called me in having a huge meltdown because her underpants were twisted and she couldn't figure it out:)

(Ha! I just realized she had her panties in a twist, lol)

My eldest has put all his shirts on the correct way this winter!  Up until a couple months ago, his shirts would be on backwards and he wouldn't notice- even when there was a picture on one side.  One day, he even had his pants on backwards and didn't notice!  This is the same kid who would scream if his clothing felt funny when he was younger due to sensory issues.  He's 10 years old, so it was time.   For the goal I'm waiting for - it's knowing the 12 months in order.  The kid is finishing up AoPS Alg II this week, but he STILL can't tell you the months in the correct order.  It took him until almost 9 to learn the days of the week, after he had started Alg I.  He has a good memory when it has meaning to him and when it's important, but apparently, the months of the year aren't important to him yet. (Shoe tying took until 8.5 years old).

Hooray!  Calvin didn't learn to ride a bike or tie his shoes until he was nine.

Over the last two years he has taught himself the bass guitar, developing in the process a speed and strength in his hands that I would never, ever have anticipated.  I think that the hormone rush of the teenage years has finally given him the muscle tone that he always lacked.

L

In other notes, my PG ID'd, can read comfortably in three languages (and is starting to get there in Ancient Greek) kid had to write out the English alphabet to figure out how many letters there were in it (she needed it for an ACT practice question).

...Sigh....Maybe we shouldn't have skipped that kindergarten level work....

Dmmetler- My dd learned to tie her shoes yesterday. We went shoe shopping and there wasn't a velcro shoe in her size. She didn't want to go to school needing to ask for help so Dh worked with her until she figured it out. :).

My eldest has put all his shirts on the correct way this winter!  Up until a couple months ago, his shirts would be on backwards and he wouldn't notice- even when there was a picture on one side.  One day, he even had his pants on backwards and didn't notice!  This is the same kid who would scream if his clothing felt funny when he was younger due to sensory issues.  He's 10 years old, so it was time.   For the goal I'm waiting for - it's knowing the 12 months in order.  The kid is finishing up AoPS Alg II this week, but he STILL can't tell you the months in the correct order.  It took him until almost 9 to learn the days of the week, after he had started Alg I.  He has a good memory when it has meaning to him and when it's important, but apparently, the months of the year aren't important to him yet. (Shoe tying took until 8.5 years old).

DS still doesn't tie shoe laces. I am proud of myself for not worrying about it anymore. :P It will come when it does and I will have to start buying him laced shoes soon anyway because very few adult male shoes seem to have velcro fasteners these days.

DS used to sing the months of the year to remember his months till he was 9. And he was just getting better at reading analog time around 9 too.

Some good news on the piano playing front...he is finally playing to the correct tempo instead of sounding like a runaway freight train. Learning to use a metronome correctly and he's just about nailed it for some of his favorite jazz pieces.

I definitely see the light bulb coming on at this age. He's more responsible. Moms with older boys used to advice me to stop worrying and look out for these changes around the ages of 10-11 and I am glad they were right. Still a little uncoordinated but hoping frequent exercise will help with that.

These are funny! If I wasn't so tired, I could probably come up with a dozen or so! The standing in front of a door waiting for someone to open it sounds kind of like my 10yo daughter, though. For as brilliant as she is about most things, she is seriously lacking in common sense most days. And yet, she's quite logical... You'd think that would help!

I get all angsty every time I feel like I'm being an outlier parent and asking for special favors.

Yes, my 4-yr-old is ready to take expensive violin lessons (she's been asking for a year). I'm mostly tired of justifying this to the grandparents...

Can my DD move up 2 levels in ballet so she'll be in a class where the kids are more serious?

Asking the preschool teacher if we can meet *again*...

etc...

Sometimes I wonder if I should lie about her age. She wears clothes 2 sizes up...  Of course, frequently asking to be carried into her classes might give her away...

ETA: And I really hate posting on the wrong thread ;)  This was supposed to be more confessions!

Ds is slowly learning to tie his shoes because he has tie shoes for the first time ever.

He also keeps putting his sweatshirts on backwards.

He wrote up a page of algebra problems to "teach" his stuffed bear, Frost, yesterday and then complained that we had to go back to Build-A-Bear to buy him more clothes.

Miss E, age 7, is cuddling a purple skein of yarn in her bed tonight.  I have no idea what that's about.  Sometimes she sneaks a loaf of Texas Toast into her bed for snuggles.  Whatever.  She does have lovely dolls and stuffed animals for when she's feeling normal....

Miss E, age 7, is cuddling a purple skein of yarn in her bed tonight.  I have no idea what that's about.  Sometimes she sneaks a loaf of Texas Toast into her bed for snuggles.  Whatever.  She does have lovely dolls and stuffed animals for when she's feeling normal....

My daughter likes to pet my yarn. I figure it's a texture thing....

My son makes "friends" out of toilet paper tubes and rocks.  He got very attached to a clothes hanger at Target and keeps talking about going back to see his friend, 6/6x.  Yes, this happened recently.

DS will be 5 in a few days. A few from this week:

"Why is Pluto in my solar system set? Don't they know it was demoted to a dork planet?" Uses demoted correctly in a sentence; cannot pronounce dwarf. 

Was explaining to me that the area of a Lego could be calculated by multiplying the dots on each side; has difficulty knowing whether school is over is at 2:30 am or pm.

The other day we were talking about synonyms and observing that there are many synonyms for backside.  We started listing them.  Along with the expected ones, one of my kids suggested "tootus maximus."  LOL.  We get pronunciation a little wrong sometimes, but at least it's entertaining.

15 year old son is in the process of building his own computer and can talk about the specs and history of every. single. component.  

He still can't figure out that the flat sheet is the one you sleep under, and the fitted sheet is the one that you sleep on.

Well, I'm 43 and I still haven't mastered always wearing the shirt the right side out. Including a polo shirt a few weeks ago while running errands ALL DAY LONG. Oh well, DD was well dressed and cute as a button.

I did this! I was at a moms club meeting. I knew all the ladies but I didn't know them that well... We all sat down at the table to chat and I saw my shirt. At first I as embarrassed but I got up and asked my way to the rest room and joked about how apparently I dressed myself that morning. We all had toddlers. So they got it.

Ds6 had one the other day--he taught himself to read at age 4 and has a vocabulary that rivals that of many adults I know--yet he was asking me why we worried about giraffes getting into the house.  I had no idea what he was talking about until he pointed to our "draft dog" by the front door.  How he got to age 6 believing giraffes could fit under our door, I don't know!