Menu

Any Board/Card Game Fans Here?

When we play I usually get the strategy first and beat dh but after a while he gets better and I lose my edge.

Dh just came home and I was telling him that Catan wasn't even ranked in the top 100 games and he is in shock, he is in total love w/ it already. I did see Catan rated 18 on the family game list though.

My husband and I are D&D people, and have been playing Mice & Mystics with our kids very slooooowwwly with our kids - they are 8 and under, so we do a chapter at a time. We play Forbidden Island, but it gets messy quick. They also love Catan Jr and can play that on their own, which I like.

DS is severly dyslexic so I only buy game with minimal or no in game reading. I pull up youtube videos to learn to play rather then reading the rules and learning to play while DS yammers on and on at me.

Depending on his age, a few games to consider would be Dixit, SET, and Quarto.

Favorite games here are:

Quarto

Iota

SET

Bananagrams

Stratego

A real mind stretcher is Equate. It's reminiscent of Scrabble and it has add on sets for junior and more advanced (Algebraic) players.

Rat-a-Tat Cat. It's a game that promotes logical thinking but is also a lot of fun.

The Secret Door (a co-operative game)

Save the Whales (a co-operative game)

Fluxx is accurately described as a game with constantly changing rules; our experience has been that people seem either to really like it or to dislike it! There are also themed variants such as Zombie, Pirate, Monty Python, Eco, Family, and Martian Fluxx.

The Game of Things

Our favorite game to play with company (with all players aged ten and up) is Wise and Otherwise

My teen enjoyed playing Loot with her friends.

Regards,

Kareni

I admit we have Catan and some expansions and we don't play it often at all. The game doesn't really require much from the player and it's very luck based. 

I think Puertro Rico, Agricola, and the other games in the top ten list on board game geek are in a different league from Catan. 

That really makes me want to buy one of those. Dh did beat me the other day and it was total chance as he kept robbing me, really hacked me off :)

Anyone into card games?  Our favorites are Skat, Pinochle, and Cribbage.  We also like Phase 10 Master.

Almost every Sunday, my grandparents would come for dinner, and they and my parents would play some card game -- usually Hearts or Pinochle, sometimes Blackjack or Poker. My Dad and I played Cribbage.

Now, I mostly play those games online against the computer. 

• 2 years later...

That really makes me want to buy one of those. Dh did beat me the other day and it was total chance as he kept robbing me, really hacked me off :)

An old thread but I enjoyed it this morning. Felt it was worth bumping. I think of Catan as an intro drug. :) My kudos played Puerto Rico at friends' house and it's now moved to number one on the wish list.

My grandpa (91) came over yesterday and taught my middles pinochle. They loved it and were playing again this morning.

When we play I usually get the strategy first and beat dh but after a while he gets better and I lose my edge.

Dh just came home and I was telling him that Catan wasn't even ranked in the top 100 games and he is in shock, he is in total love w/ it already. I did see Catan rated 18 on the family game list though.

Extensions add more depth. We do not play stand alone Catan ever anymore. Agricola is the ruling game currently. Edited by BlsdMama

We got risk and settlers for Christmas. Settlers has been a huge hit, Risk not so much.

Card games- we love canasta, though I feel like an old lady admitting that.

I remember my aunt and her friends playing Canasta.  Wish I knew how!  I'd like to learn Bridge too.

Edited by HeWillSoar

DS and I are HUGE game fans! I am always on the hunt for the next awesome game. Yesterday all of his morning appointments in town were cancelled so we had a couple of hours to kill while we waited for his 1pm doctors appointment. We ran into Barnes and Nobel and I found a game called Kamisado. Video:

Normally I have the upper hand in 2 player strategy games. Not this one. DS rocked it! 

Other family favorites:

Stone Age 

Risk

Caveman Curling

Gold Mine

Thebes

Farmageddon

Heavens of Olympus   

Carcassonne

I loved Small World. DS hated it.

When I have a little extra money I tend to stalk Kickstarter for all the cool games. I found Caveman curling as well as Farmageddon there. Farmageddon is probably DS's favorite game. I plan to buy more games from the creator.

ETA I forgot about Forbidden Island. Not a favorite but still a fun game. I am sure I have more games but I am sitting in front of the game cabinet and I cannot remember them all..

LOVE board games here.  On of our favorites--probably for teens, but our gaming 10 year old plays--that I've not seen mentioned here is Power Grid.  We also love Qwirkle to have on hand for people who aren't into games (younger kids, some adults) and there's NO READING INVOLVED for those that are looking for that--but it's a great strategy game!  

When I have a little extra money I tend to stalk Kickstarter for all the cool games. I found Caveman curling as well as Farmageddon there. Farmageddon is probably DS's favorite game. I plan to buy more games from the creator.

I know this is an old thread, but if anyone is interested in another cool strategy game on Kickstarter, check this out. There are only 11 hours left to back this project.

We are addicted Catan fans.  If we have 3 or more players available, we'll play a game absolutely every day.  We like the "Gallery Edition" best.  

For card games, our go-to are either 500 Rummy or Up and Down the River (aka "Oh Heck" or "Oh He_ _ ").

I realize this is old but what games are good for a 5.5, 7.5 and 9.5 year old? It is ok if some are only good for the older two. I want to get ticket to ride but I was wondering what else is out there similar that are more involved games.

My 7-year-old enjoys Ticket to Ride, Carcassonne, Agricola, Castle Panic, Forbidden Island, Seven Wonders, and Splendor, to name a few.