Menu

Oil of oregano-if you use this, can you please look inside-I have a couple questions!

HappyGrace

Dh just bought the Oreganol brand for us to try (which is drops you put in water), and I was wondering how other people on here use this. Do you take it every day, just when you are getting sick, a maintenance dose (ie-every other day or whatever)? Do you do anything that helps hide the horrible taste? :tongue_smilie: Also, I'm thinking I would take it better if I got pills of it, but I've heard it can have toxins (the Oreganol doesn't have the toxins) so you need to get a good brand-can anyone recommend a good capsule?

Also I would love to hear how well it works for you (success stories, etc). Or if you found you didn't like it or it didn't work for you, why not? Thanks!

I've only used it while pregnant and ONLY topical not ingested.  I had terrible pregnancy induced carpel tunnel so I would put 3 drops in a huge bowl of warm water and soak my arms up to my elbows in it once a week.  I smelled like oregano for a day but it work incredibly well and made the carpel tunnel nearly gone for a week at a time.  

Can't answer your other questions sorry.

Only use when you are coming down with something. It is similar to an antibiotic and you do not want to consume it every day as it will deplete your good bacteria. I supplement with a good probiotic at the same time.

I use capsules to hide the taste. :)

I have found it really helps me recover faster or not get sick in the first place- colds, etc. I've not used it for flu and never feel well enough with a stomach bug to even consider trying it then.

My midwife told me not to take while pregnant but she advised me to use it one time when babe and I were dealing with thrush- it cleared it up real quick!

ingesting it is certainly to be avoided while pregnant!! As is using it topically unless diluted very well. I probably had 2 or 3 drops in over a gallon of water and would not do that more than once a week.

Only use when you are coming down with something. It is similar to an antibiotic and you do not want to consume it every day as it will deplete your good bacteria. I supplement with a good probiotic at the same time.

I use capsules to hide the taste. :)

I have found it really helps me recover faster or not get sick in the first place- colds, etc. I've not used it for flu and never feel well enough with a stomach bug to even consider trying it then.

My midwife told me not to take while pregnant but she advised me to use it one time when babe and I were dealing with thrush- it cleared it up real quick!

Only when someone is coming down with something. We apply the oil to the soles of our feet twice a day until better. Usually just 24 hours. 

I say "coming down with something" because we don't usually know what virus we dodged since it doesn't become full blown illness.

The last time I personally used it I was had a headache and I was really tired out.  I used oregano oil twice in one day because I knew I was coming down with "something." I woke up the next morning fine and I'd forgotten about the yucky previous day until DH started complaining about a headache and that he was soooo tired. He used the oil too and by the end of the day he was fine again. 

My oldest daughter used it after she came down with the flu. She had a bad case of it for a weekend. I started the oils on her the 2nd day -- can't believe I forgot to use it right away!-- She was fine by the end of the 3rd day. I see she uses it when she's sneezy or headachy. She's 14. 

I just bought another bottle from young living. :)) And a bottle of their Thieves oil that I fog here daily. 

So far only one case of the flu for this family of seven.

My mom uses thieves too when she gets a cold because if my dad gets the cold it always turns into pneumonia.  Fogging with thieves kept him healthy the last time she got sick.  

I get Oreganol in gelcaps.  I can't stand the drops.  Dh puts the drops in a small medicine cup of water and tosses it down.  Or he will paint the back of his ear with the drops.  The skin is thin there and the oil is then absorbed right into your blood stream.  But of course, afterward, he smells like a pizza!

And yes, only if you have acute symptoms because it is antibacterial / antifungal in nature and you don't want it to lose it's efficacy.  

I've only used it while pregnant and ONLY topical not ingested.  I had terrible pregnancy induced carpel tunnel so I would put 3 drops in a huge bowl of warm water and soak my arms up to my elbows in it once a week.  I smelled like oregano for a day but it work incredibly well and made the carpel tunnel nearly gone for a week at a time.  

Can't answer your other questions sorry.

WOW-hadn't heard that it was good for carpel tunnel...sometimes my hands ache sooo badly....will have to try this....

I use these capsules.  http://www.vitaminshoppe.com/p/gaia-herbs-oil-of-oregano-lp-60-capsules/gh-7018?sourceType=sc&source=FG&adGroup=40-60&keyword=GH-7018&cm_mmc=Google+Shopping-_-Product+Listing+Ads-_-40-60-_-GH-7018&gclid=CMmRmpne5bsCFcVFMgodRDEAHw&gclsrc=aw.ds

Gaia Herbs brand.  They have a pretty good reputation and in my area is less expensive than the Oreganol.  Use when coming down with something or exposed to something.

Never heard of the feet thing!  I can't stand the taste, so that's why I went with capsules.  Is the feet thing comparable to taking the oil?