Menu

Kids begging to come home

I'll try to keep this short. We homeschooled from the beginning until last year when we put both kids in PS (daughter went into 3rd grade and son went into Kindergarten-though he had already had a year of K at home.) I subbed in the school district and for the most part the year went well. Fast forward to this year. I was called by the district to do a long term sub for a sick teacher at the beginning of the year and looks like I'll be finishing the year out for her. My kids are now fourth and first. My son is in the classroom right next to me. 

For some reason, that I can't put my finger on.. this year has been SO much harder for them. They are both begging to come home, though my son is more vocal about it on a consistent basis. My daughter is dealing with some mild drama and has been the recipient of bullying though that did subside after the first few months. My son does not want to go out on the playground and does not seem to like school all that much anymore.  Now my kids are not socially backward in anyway and very outgoing so their reaction to school this year is baffling to me.  I'd pull them out in a heartbeat but...

We need the money. Not a matter of want but actually need...as in we can't pay all the bills if I don't work. When I homeschooled before I did day care but I was about to lose my mind trying to watch little ones and homeschool and I knew it would only get harder. I am making REALLY good money right now and it is hard to think of losing that income. But we don't want our kids in PS long term anyway.  Don't even get me started on Common Core.

I am looking up every option I can think of and praying for options to appear that I haven't thought of to allow me to work and homeschool them again.  We went around the table on New Year's Eve and each answered the question "What do you hope for 2014?" and both kids immediately said "We hope we can be homeschooled in the fall." :(

I am not really asking for ideas so much as prayer for those so inclined that we could bring them back home sooner rather than later because this is breaking my heart a thousand times over. (If you do have any ideas though I wouldn't turn them down. Haha!)

I'll definitely pray that things work out in a way that you are able to get back to homeschooling soon.

I'm not clear on what your DH does or if his schedule has any flexibility.  DH and I are both working a bit less than full time for our respective fields (he is an attorney, I'm a physician) and with only rare exceptions we manage to work things so one of us is home with the kids.  We're blessed to have some extended family in the local area that can and do pitch in for those rare exception days. DH is also often able to manage to get some work done at home while with the kids he just isn't as productive as when he goes into the office so that helps as well.  Because we both work outside the home at different times we both share in household, child raising, and educational responsibilities.  Would there be a way for you to do something like this with your DH?  You might also look into options for doing some homebound instruction/tutoring through your school district.  That could be less than full time and might also be a bit more flexible hours.  

My husband works in a manufacturing facility.  His schedule isn't flexible.  Although there is rumor that some jobs within company will be open soon that they hope to fill in house and my husband is thinking of applying so that he could get a raise but it would require him to go on a permanent 2nd shift which makes me want the kids home even more because otherwise he'll only see them on the weekends.... He's also a fitness coach and had hoped that his income would offset what I make but after nearly 9 months it is still a very fledgling venture and not reliable.

I've considered the homebound instruction/tutoring aspect. We live in a small district so not sure how busy I'd be but I need to figure out how to tactfully look into this because my school district doesn't know I am pursuing this avenue and they've hinted at wanting to keep me around. It really isn't the school staff that is the issue at hand and I don't want any hard or hurt feelings. They know we homeschooled before and have been very welcoming to me and my family and said really positive things about homeschooling because of how successful my kids are in PS.

My back up plan (if I ever needed $$ to supplement DH income, injury or the like) was to do, not in home daycare, but afterschool care/tutoring along with some off track care/camps. In my area that is some good $$ and the requirements are less versus in home daycare. Plus that would leave morning hours for homeschooling and we could just schedule our weeks off to match with off track weeks.

Seriously, here the camps on spring break/summer break/off track weeks are around $250-400/kid/week depending on what they offer. So 5-6 kids for a week of fun science experiments etc could make a nice supplement.

Aftercare/tutoring is great if you live near an elementary school where kids could walk.

That is a possibility. We live four blocks south of the elementary school and could even walk to get them. I couldn't make that much around here for an "off track" week. I'd be lucky to make $100 per kid. But I am not actually sure what "off track" means as that is a new term to me but I assume you mean vacation days, yes?

I second the idea of after school tutoring and maybe some science or P.E. or art camps or something like that during holidays and summers.  It would take time to build a reputation, but once you had an established group of parents that could trust you have a quality service, it could definitely add income (you wouldn't get rich but it might be enough...).  Are there other homeschool parents in your area?  Maybe someone needs the extra time in the afternoon a couple of days a week and would be willing to pay you to tutor/watch their kids in the afternoon sometimes?  So you aren't just looking at ps students?

Also, (and I don't know how you would find them but maybe someone else would know), I know that sometimes families need someone to help an elderly or infirm person with getting to and from stores or mowing their lawn, doing minor repairs, etc. I have a friend that does that job on the side for extra income.  He has three elderly clients that are cognitively still o.k. but not physically strong now so he mows their lawns, drives them to the stores once a week, drives them to doctor's appts when they need that, etc.  It keeps them functioning pretty independently since they do not have family in the immediate area and he gets extra income.  It also gives them someone to visit with and he has made some great life-long friends he can turn to for advice or even just a laugh.

I did after school care. I can't imagine it would earn enough to replace a teaching salary. I earned grocery money and that was very helpful at the time, but that was about it

Is there a chance that you could earn enough full time that your dh could stay home and teach the kids? My BIL is the stay at home parent.

Or, pretty soon the kids will be old enough that they could be home alone during the school day. They could stay home while you worked and then you would have after school,evenings and weekends to teach them. You wouldn't be the first family to use that option.

That is a possibility. We live four blocks south of the elementary school and could even walk to get them. I couldn't make that much around here for an "off track" week. I'd be lucky to make $100 per kid. But I am not actually sure what "off track" means as that is a new term to me but I assume you mean vacation days, yes?

Yes, off track here is a rotating schedule of days off. I totally don't understand it (never had a kid in PS and I worked at private schools, so no 1st hand experience). But here most households are 2 income, so care on off days is a big deal. 

Also homeschool families might be a source of clients like PP mentioned. Like maybe short notice drop off care/tutoring for dr appts, emergencies etc??? They could send assignments or reading to be done or the like maybe?

And tutoring here is big $, more than just after school "care". Parents will pay well to have homework done/supervised, so all they have to do is sign off/dinner/relax/bedtime once they get home.

What a hard situation!

A friend of mine had multiple kids she picked up from school ($20/kid/day) and brought to her house for homework. She also had one toddler full-time during the day - which was enough to cover her rent. Her oldest is in 7th. She did a bare-bones curriculum (3Rs) and then organized co-op classes taught by college students for anything beyond the basics. Since she organized them and often had them held at her house, she didn't have to pay, except in time and energy.

Emily

I work from home a few different freelance jobs and teach online classes. Is there a public virtual school for K-12 in your state that hires teachers? Also, start sending out different resumes to educational publishers or any other at-home work you may be qualified for. genuinejobs.com is one good place to look. You have some time, so start sending out your resume for the work now and you may find you have a few things lined up by the end of summer.

is it possible to get two days a week work at the school? and your kids be duel enrolled, 2 days at school and 3 days home?

In the US, unless the district already had a developed hybrid charter which worked this way, I think the logistics would be difficult.  Our district actually does have a part-time kindergarten program which has reduced on campus hours and requires that parents commit to covering certain areas and topics at home. Our five year foster daughter is in this program and she goes part days on three days of the week.  If she hadn't been accepted into the part time program we would have either delayed kindergarten by another year or fully homeschooled kindergarten because we felt we needed the time at home with her to foster attachment and further facilitate her transition into our family.

The same elementary school also has a gifted enrichment program which can be used as a pull out program from a regular brick & mortar experience or as an adjunct to the homeschool experience.  Our nine year old foster daughter is in the latter category.  In many ways it is kind of like using a co-op I suppose, but the quality is far superior to any of our available co-op programs.

What time would your husband leave for 2nd shift work?  Could you hire a sitter for a couple of hours until you get home from school?  Then you could homeschool whatever your husband didn't do in the morning.   Maybe teach them in the afternoons, and then they could complete assignments when your husband is home in the mornings.   Praying something works out for you.

What is going on on the playground that he doesn't want to go out?

I think it sounds like there are problems you could try to address right now.

Is there recess supervision? 

If it is not that someone is being mean to him -- could he have sensory issues that make it hard for him to be outside? 

It just sounds suspicious to me.  Anytime a child who has a history of being sociable doesn't want to participate, I do think -- what is going on, and I think something the teacher or supervisor or counselor should get involved in.

I am spoiled with my older son's school.... it is the "autism school" for the district and they are very strict about bullying, and they also have aides on the playground.  So -- I would expect to get some result.

However I have had several problems where my son is having problems but his teacher has no idea, b/c he will not say anything, so I have to send a note, call, or send an e-mail.

His teacher last year really wanted him to get better on this, and was helping me coordinate with her -- that he was going to speak to her about something, and I was going to be checking in with her to make sure he was speaking to her. 

B/c they do expect kids to bring things up to the teacher starting in 2nd grade.  They are not looking out the same way as they do for K and 1st grade. 

But anyway -- that is just my thought.  First I would ask him.  Next I would ask his teacher if she had any clue at all of anything going on (and she might not -- but that does not mean much -- it would just be nice if she did know). 

If there are already friend groups and he is not in them, I would ask if there is any new student sponsor program or any friendship groups through the counselor. 

Anyway -- I would at least try that route.  If it doesn't work out that is one thing, but it is worth checking on. 

In the US, unless the district already had a developed hybrid charter which worked this way, I think the logistics would be difficult.  Our district actually does have a part-time kindergarten program which has reduced on campus hours and requires that parents commit to covering certain areas and topics at home. Our five year foster daughter is in this program and she goes part days on three days of the week.  If she hadn't been accepted into the part time program we would have either delayed kindergarten by another year or fully homeschooled kindergarten because we felt we needed the time at home with her to foster attachment and further facilitate her transition into our family.

The same elementary school also has a gifted enrichment program which can be used as a pull out program from a regular brick & mortar experience or as an adjunct to the homeschool experience.  Our nine year old foster daughter is in the latter category.  In many ways it is kind of like using a co-op I suppose, but the quality is far superior to any of our available co-op programs.

Thanks for explaining. Here duel enrolment is possible. I know several families who send their children 2 days a week to school. I also know families who send their kids to school for just specific subjects.

heaps of children who are not homeschooled go to school for only a few days a week. some because they also go to special school, some because they cannot be expelled and muck up so much in school that they are on behaviour plans where they only go for a few hours each day,

I teach classes from my home and at other home school "schools", and I tutor. I also offer summer camps. I make more in one day than a long term sub would make. However, that does not count the planning, the grading etc... Look into how much you really need, see how much you can save, then work this summer on establishing camps and a reputation. Science camps are very popular. I keep my camps on the cheaper side like $50 for four days for 3 1/2 hours a day. I end up with 10 kids most weeks. If you are willing to do full time summer camp like for a working parent all summer, I bet you could make enough money so you could stay home and do after school tutoring. Start networking now at the school to see who needs summer daycare.

I will look more closely into teaching classes/tutoring from home. It wouldn't be enough to replace my income by any means but it is a logical first step.  I will also give some consideration about offering camps. If I had a bigger home and yard it would be more feasible so maybe down the road.

Thank you for so many ideas and just general care to even respond!

As to my son not wanting to go out at recess... nothing happened. I work literally right next door to his classroom and I know all the teachers and staff very well. There are supervisors on the playground.  He just would rather come in and sit with me or follow me around instead of going out with his friends. His only complaint is that he doesn't like what everyone plays out there. Whatever that means. I make him go out at lunch recess at least. It is hard for him because he sees me all day long but has very little actual access to me so that is like a small kind of torture for him.

I am very thankful that my kids talk to me and don't shut me out. We've had many long talks and they have confided in me things they've done that they know we wouldn't be proud of too, as well as struggles they are having in school.  Communication is strong so for that I am very grateful.

My husband and I talked for a long time Thursday night.  We are praying and looking at options but we also do not want to go back to scraping by and wondering if we had enough for that month....let alone ever go out for anything fun or buy what we need when we need it. Those were some very lean years...but good years too. Thanks all for the input.

I haven't read everything because I'm about to run out the door, but check into possibly working for one of the online charter schools that use K12 curriculum. I know they are hiring teachers to help the parents, and you can work from home. There are also online tutoring jobs that pay pretty well. 

Keeping you in my thoughts that something works out great for you and yours!