Menu

How much work for the application?

I'm thinking about filling out the DYS application. Can anyone who has done it fairly recently tell me how much more there is to the application? Is there much beyond what is mentioned on the website? Once in, are there more hoops to jump through before getting consulting help?

TIA!

Any input on usefulness is also appreciated.

The most time consuming part was the portfolio (we did Portfolio + Explore with old tests as supplemental), The application is a little daunting, but wasn't bad once I got started.

I do feel it's been useful for us, but I do think this board has been more useful on the day to day homeschooling stuff.

We just completed the process a few months ago. The portfolio requirement seems rather elaborate. We happened to have achievement testing done the same time as the WISC so were able to apply with simply the test scores. This made the application very manageable. I spent about an hour on it ( max ) and just hit the send button. If I couldn't remember a particular milestone or specifics about his previous projects then I omitted it (and they still accepted him).

We applied 2 year ago, so I'm not sure whether the application has changed.  I see that they now have an online application, but I don't think I can view it without creating an account.  We did the testing route, so there was no need for a portfolio.  The application was overwhelming for me.  I read it and stuck it in a drawer for a few months.  ;)  The psychologist we used for the testing required pages and pages of background info, which was very tedious.  After testing was done, I pulled out the DYS application, and it was very simple in comparison.  I was able to just copy some of my answers from the psychologist's forms, and it was done.  I think part of it for me was the difficulty of trying to select the right info to include and really hoping he would be accepted because I was in desperate need of support.  It felt like a lot of pressure at the time.  After the testing, I realized we wouldn't have any difficulty getting in based on his scores, so I didn't worry about putting down the "right" information. 

As others mentioned, you simply mail in the application (or, I suppose, now submit it online) and wait for a response.  No more hoops.  Once they are accepted, there is no renewal process or anything, and you can access services or connect with other parents/kids either right away or years down the road--whatever you need.