Menu

What is your Bible reading plan for 2014?

Heather in Neverland

AMDG

Our plan as a family is to continue with our Scriptue study group. We have read through the entire Bible once in the first one which took almost a year and discussed so many amazing topics. Now we are going through a book at a time for more indepth study.

We're using Jef Cavins' studies. We all really enjoy his stuff!

I didn't have a plan last year and as a result read very little.  This year I am using Robert Murray M'Cheyne's plan for reading the Bible in a year.   (NT and Psalms twice through.)  I don't necessarily believe the Bible has to be read in entirety once a year, but without a plan I end up doing nothing.

My kids are going slowly through the Starr Meade bible study books - The Most Important Thing You'll Ever Study.  Dislike the clunky title, but the materials are pretty good.  Not awesome, but good enough for now.

The Back to the Bible stuff looks really good too!

My dh and I are going to take our family through the first five books of the Bible very slowly.  Of course, we'll read the Prophets, Writings, and Gospel books, as well, but my dh and I really want to focus in on the Law books for careful study.  We are also doing history for that time in our homeschooling studies.  :001_smile:

Project 3:45 Plus for me and my dd is doing a Bible reader for 1st grade that we started yesterday. At the same time we'll begin reading "the Bible Story." I have no plans as to when we'll finish. We're just reading 15 min an evening and we'll see how long it'll take :)

I have a little one, so we are reading through a Bible story book that glosses over the icky parts.  One story a day, beginning to end.  I added it to the bedtime books.  

One thing that warmed my heart.  Before bed she gets to pick 4 stories, plus we read a bible story.  Before nap she picks one story.  She has started to pick a bible story for pre-nap.  

I have an app. on my phone that gives me the daily readings for the Orthodox Church each day. There's one OT and one NT reading. I try to keep up with this although don't always. That plus the Scripture we hear in our services make up our Scripture reading.

ETA -- I just read my morning prayers and they are chock full of Scripture, too. I think I'm more focused on making sure I pray than making sure I read Scripture so it was cool to see that both are combined.  :)

I use a modified form of Professor Grant Horner's Bible Reading System.

Instead of having 10 lists, I have 6:

4 lists from the Old Testament:

xx1 - Pentateuch

xx2 - History

xx3 - Wisdom

xx4 - Prophecy

2 lists from the New Testament

xx5 - Gospels and Acts

xx6 - NT Letters (I include Revelation as a letter)

Thanks for posting...this intrigues me!

Last year I used the YouVersion Bible App chronological plan.  This year (and the next one plus) I'm using the Book of Common Prayer on YouVersion.  I tried to do the one from the BCP before but got bogged down on the different seasons where you skip weeks.  With this one all planned out, I should do better.  It will be interesting though, 808 days!  I started Advent 1 and am 4% finished!

I did the Dr. Horner's for about a third of last year, I want to pick it back up.  It was great!

One of the reasons I like it so well is because I just pick up where I left off, even after weeks or months.

Other plans where you read thru the Bible in a year, if I got off track, I would have to wait to the beginning of the year to restart (I'm OCD like that!)

Dr. Horner's plan is neverending so I find it easy to just pick up where I left off.

One of the reasons I like it so well is because I just pick up where I left off, even after weeks or months.

Other plans where you read thru the Bible in a year, if I got off track, I would have to wait to the beginning of the year to restart (I'm OCD like that!)

Dr. Horner's plan is neverending so I find it easy to just pick up where I left off.

I hadn't been able to decide what plan to follow, but I like the idea of one that won't drive me crazy when I get behind, so I went with Dr Horner's plan on YouVersion.  I'll also do 3-4 in-depth bible studies throughout the year.

I use a modified form of Professor Grant Horner's Bible Reading System.

Instead of having 10 lists, I have 6:

4 lists from the Old Testament:

xx1 - Pentateuch

xx2 - History

xx3 - Wisdom

xx4 - Prophecy

2 lists from the New Testament

xx5 - Gospels and Acts

xx6 - NT Letters (I include Revelation as a letter)

I'm using Professor Grant Horner's system as written. I started about three weeks ago, and I'm really liking it.

I read our daily Mass readings or the morning prayers, which are also full of Scripture, but as a family, we stared at Advent reading through the Gospels this year. The hope it to get through each Gospel three times. The first time through eh is reading out loud to us all. I think the next two times through we will each read individually, though the same section, and then discuss or read commentary on the section.

I decided I wanted to try to read through the whole Bible in a year.  Chronological doesn't work for me.  Something about Job in January always sinks that plan.  I have a One Year Bible, but I find having four different types of reading at one time too scattered.  This year I'm keeping it simple.  I have the free ESV Bible on my Kindle, and I'm going to read beginning to end using the canonical reading plan from blueletterbible.org.  I even made myself a little check sheet yesterday that I can keep in my Kindle case.  I may add in a separate more in depth Bible study as well, but I haven't chosen anything yet.

I have the Quiet Time Bible Guide, which takes you through the New Testament and Psalms in a year. Each day's reading has a section on Warming Up to God, then several questions to answer in Discovering the Word, a few ideas to think about in Applying the Word, and finally an idea for prayer in Responding in Prayer. I have just not been spending time in my Bible like I should, and for this year I would really like to focus on the New Testament. I think this guide will help me to stay focused.