Menu

methods of organization

I see you're using RS Math? I have been using RS for several years now and have finally hit on a great way (for me!) to do the prep work, making RS open-and-go for me. 

I have always made all the photo copies, laminating, and cutting at the beginning of the year. (I don't typically have dc cut the tiny triangles or numbers. I'm too impatient and do it beforehand.) I tried filing last year, and it didn't work out well for me. This year, each RS level goes into its own binder. I will print out multiple copies of the math journal and put it in the front of the binder. Then I put the worksheets I need in order. Also, if I need 10 octagons from appendix 25 or whatever for Lesson 58, I will copy them, cut them out, put them in a labeled envelope (because I use each level several times), and then put that envelope in a page protector with "Lesson 58" on a piece of cardstock or colored paper to keep the page protector from folding over.

Finished work gets put in the back of the binder in order, so at the end of the year, all the worksheets will be completed, organized by date, and ready to be filed or recycled. The appendices that don't get cut and pasted onto something as an assignment stay in the binder for the next child to use. The next year I will photocopy and cut whatever got filed/recycled last year so it's ready for the next dc.

I find a binder for each subject, with all the papers I need in the order I'll need them, to be the neatest and easiest way to organize so far. For Latin, I used box cutters to remove the binding from the workbook. Then I hole-punched the pages and organized them into a binder. It's so easy to take out the top sheet for the lesson, then put it at the back of the binder after it's completed. 

We're on our second year of using Ikea Magazine File Folders for the kids' school books.  I got them on amazon.  They are plain white and the kids have decorated them by writing the name of the subject and putting stickers on them.  Each kid has a shelf on the bookcase and their set of magazine holders are on the shelf.  It works well for us. 

Workboxes top my list! Here's pics and a description of ours and how we use them. 

Also I keep a Teacher Binder and a Teacher Box.

For our books--I keep the current year's materials together on our shelves (used to fit on one...now I have 3 I think!). Books not in current use that we are keeping are organized loosely by subject (science, US history, World History, Biography, Literature by history topic, miscellaneous, and animal stories. We seem to have a lot of animal stories, LOL!)

Merry :-)

I use these from Target. Each one has 8 pockets. We use a lot of worksheets (because that is what keeps us on task!), and they file nicely into the pockets. Some things I print, some I un-bind from a workbook. I keep the work in hanging folders or a binder, and fill each weekend with enough stuff for the week.

I have the following for my 6th grader:

Growing with Grammar  worksheets

MBTP worksheets for literature

cursive practice sheets

LOE advanced spelling lists

math word problems

math practice/problem solving worksheet

history student guides & worksheets/maps

extra lined paper

(science is out of a separate workbook)

For my kindergartener, I have two. One is for our daily work, and one is for our supplements that are done more erratically.

Math in Focus workbook pages

Horizons math workbook pages

Building Spelling Skills worksheets, dictation sentences, and test forms (by Evan-Moor)

Daily Science (E-M)

Sonlight Science A schedule and worksheets

McGraw-Hill LA worksheets

Language Lessons Through Literature workbook pages

Daily Geography

Read & Understand Stories & Activities

Daily 6-Trait Writing

I keep textbooks, literature, and other stuff on a shelf or in a Desk Apprentice (from Staples). My kindergartener has a tote that holds his crayons, markers, scissors, math cards, etc.

I love my workbox-esque system! 6 boxes per kid -- history, math, foreign language, writing, independent reading, and general skills (extra grammar practice, logic, fire safety worksheets for the portfolio, etc.). On days when those subjects need a computer instead of paper/book, I put an index card in the appropriate workbox. Group subjects go in workboxes that stay on my desk.