Menu

AP Course Audit - Need Help with Process

Could someone with some btdt experience give me pointers on doing the course audit for an Advanced Placement course?

I have my syllabus written. I've gone through the course description and the scoring criteria.  I've marked up the syllabus to point out where it meets the scoring components.

I have a College Board Professionals account.  But I'm a little stumped on the next step.  Do I need to register as an AP supervisor in order to approve the syllabus once uploaded?  Is there somewhere to enter my homeschool as the organization?

It's been 6 years since I submitted a syllabus and I don't really remember the precise steps.  But I know I didn't register as an AP supervisor, but just as an AP teacher.  And then I followed the links to upload my syllabus (with the scoring components clearly marked).  It was an original syllabus, but it was modeled after a couple of the example syllabi.  I was surprised at how quickly the syllabus was approved -- around an hour I think.  

I did it the first year of the audit and I had several questions.  The folks on the other side of the 1-800 number were always very friendly and helpful. 

Lisa

I had to call the first time too, because I got confused.  And now it's only been a year since I submitted the last one, and I still don't really remember how I did it!  I do know I also didn't register as an AP supervisor.  Somehow the code for your state comes into play--the same one you give your kids to take AP tests or the SAT.  That is the professional code or something that they are looking for, and it shows that you are a homeschooling parent/teacher.

OK, first hurdle jumped.  I called the help line.  Once you have a professional account created, go to the page to start a Course Audit (I logged in via the link to Course Audit info on the Course Home Page for the applicable AP class).  You will need to affiliate with an organization.  This is where I got stumped.

Leave zip code blank.

Under organization, type the full name of your state and home.  You should get several options, including statename home school with an address (for Virginia, the address was a PO Box in Richmond). That is the organization for all homeschoolers in the state, not a particular family's homeschool.

After you select this, the affiliation will appear in the window on the other side of the page. Click on finish.

Alrighty then. I've added two courses to my account and submitted the syllabus for the first one.

One lesson learned was that while I like using the Word Comments function to add bubbles with each of the scoring criterion marked, it is awkward when I'm switching from computer to computer, because Word wanted to put a different reader label and color on each computer log in.  Next time I'll probably stick with a simpler system of parenthetical annotations (SC1) rather than using the bubbles.

If anyone else is thinking of doing this, the deadline for new submissions is Jan 31.

Well done! I've never done it, but I have encouraged a gal who runs a co-op to get her syllabus approved. Nice to know it's not impossible. 

I would say that it was the polar opposite of impossible.  Clearly I spent way more time tweaking the syllabus than was necessary.

I think they are looking for the syllabus to cover the highlights of the scoring criteria.  Though I should observe that this was for a Government class, not for a lab science.  There may be a lot more requirements to meet in a science or math course.

Way to go! Thank you so much for posting this. I'm working on a syllabus and so appreciate your tips!

Probably my biggest suggestion is to scan the course guidelines, then go ahead and write the syllabus that does what you think you want to cover. Then go back and make sure that there is evidence in the syllabus that you are meeting the requirements.  For me, with the government class, it was a matter of documenting what we were doing/had done. But between using a college textbook and doing what I generally thought a government class should cover, I hit just about everything easily.

Probably my biggest suggestion is to scan the course guidelines, then go ahead and write the syllabus that does what you think you want to cover. Then go back and make sure that there is evidence in the syllabus that you are meeting the requirements.  For me, with the government class, it was a matter of documenting what we were doing/had done. But between using a college textbook and doing what I generally thought a government class should cover, I hit just about everything easily.

Good idea. I am feeling over-informed, and I haven't even been at this for very long!

Our wifi went down shortly after I posted, so I'm just now checking back in. Sebastian, the affiliation must be a new step that was added since I originally went through the audit process.  I've been super-impressed with how easy it is to update audit approval each year.  Pretty much just clicking a link unless there are some changes to the syllabus.  

Lisa

Our wifi went down shortly after I posted, so I'm just now checking back in. Sebastian, the affiliation must be a new step that was added since I originally went through the audit process. I've been super-impressed with how easy it is to update audit approval each year. Pretty much just clicking a link unless there are some changes to the syllabus.

Lisa

It seems that there is now a requirement to have the supervisor pre-approve courses. I guess that makes some sense on a school level. And a school or district could create a standard ap syllabus that each teacher copied. There are options to submit a new syllabus or copy a sample syllabus if you have the number for that syllabus.

It seems that there is now a requirement to have the supervisor pre-approve courses. I guess that makes some sense on a school level. And a school or district could create a standard ap syllabus that each teacher copied. There are options to submit a new syllabus or copy a sample syllabus if you have the number for that syllabus.

If you use the home school selection as your organization, then there isn't a need to have a school/organization supervisor forward the syllabus.

Sebastian, I am using quite a few Teaching Company lectures as part of our European history course. If I list those under resources, will it look "unprofessional?"

My estimate is that as long as you have a textbook at the appropriate level (either a college text or a high school text with supplements that meet the grading criteria); and you have the other scoring criteria met that including TC lectures is no more unprofessional than referring to a documentary series or something from Ahnenberg.

So I just got my authorization for AP Comparative Government.  It took longer than 10 minutes this time ( :lol:) but it was still back before the end of the week.

I submitted a much more terse syllabus for this course than for the American Govt. It was primarily a list of readings, with a few activities included to show that I was hitting some of the additional requirements like data analysis and essay writing.  Instead of using the Word Comment bubbles, I just included (SC1) or similar notation for each element that satisfied a scoring criteria. It seems that the review is really just looking to see that you met the requirements of the course.

Best of luck to anyone else who is doing this or thinking of doing it. It is definitely something that is possible. I'm hoping that it will give me a bit of an edge in a week or two when I start looking for schools to test at.

Sebastian, I'm enjoying hearing about your continuing AP GOPO adventures! I know your students will love comparative. We're doing US as a year-long. To the poster who asked about TC lectures, I've incorporated some into each of my approved AP courses -- except GOPO. It just didn't fall out that way in my planning. Always open to Great Courses recommendations, though (junkie).

• 2 weeks later...

After reading this thread and with much encouragement this year from Tia and Sebastian I submitted our Art History course this year to the AP audit process.  Admittedly I submitted in January so I was up against the end of the year deadline.  My initial submission took nearly two weeks to be returned-it was returned with helpful (but brief) commentary on where I had not specified how my syllabus had met one of the scoring criteria.  I made that point more explicit in about 15 minutes of work on the syllabus and resubmitted.  I received course approval within 24 hours and we now have an official AP Art History course for this year.

I would add that it is not that bad of a process and very anonymous, your syllabus is reviewed with no reference to your name, location or the fact that you homeschool.  My takeaways from the experience follow.  Do leave yourself a bit of time to let the process run-especially if you are up against a deadline of your own.  I found parenthetical notation of scoring criteria to be the easiest method.  And finally, if the syllabus is returned do NOT take it as rejection.  The issue they had with mine was so small that it was remedied by adding one sentence to the course outline.  (Of course I went for overkill and was even more explicit than they may have needed.)   If you are going to resubmit CB asked for a resubmission within 2 weeks-so keep that in mind as you work.  And yes, I included Teaching Company lectures as part of my course materials with no commentary from the reviewers at all.   Be sure to check if they offer a list of previously approved texts for the course; that may assist you in choosing a primary text.  But the list is not meant to be limiting and you can certainly submit other works.

I had been hesitant to go through the process because I thought it would be more work than I had time for and unlikely to produce positive results.  After completing this first audit, I think I will probably submit more syllabi in the future for the courses we had planned on using with AP tests.

Thanks so much for sharing your experience!  I am still working on an AP Psych syllabus to submit, and I know I need to get on it.  I had to put everything on hold for SAT prep (two high schoolers taking it tomorrow) and a teething 19-month-old.  It will be a miracle if I can pull this off--fingers crossed!

Thanks so much for sharing your experience!  I am still working on an AP Psych syllabus to submit, and I know I need to get on it.  I had to put everything on hold for SAT prep (two high schoolers taking it tomorrow) and a teething 19-month-old.  It will be a miracle if I can pull this off--fingers crossed!

If I read CB correctly the 1/31 deadline is just for the initial submission of a syllabus.  If you need to do revisions you may still have time beyond that.  Do consult the timeline section of the audit page-I think that is where I found this information.  Best of luck-hang in there!

If I read CB correctly the 1/31 deadline is just for the initial submission of a syllabus. If you need to do revisions you may still have time beyond that. Do consult the timeline section of the audit page-I think that is where I found this information. Best of luck-hang in there!

This is my understanding too.

However I'll also say that there is an allowance to deviate some from the syllabus. Especially if it's a matter of adding more in.

Yay, I did it!  I submitted my AP Psychology syllabus around 1PM this afternoon and received approval before 6PM (on a Sunday, even.)  I'm so thankful for all the Hive advice and encouragement!  Now that I know how possible it is, I'm already thinking about courses for next year.  I can hear my dd's groaning now!

Thanks again, everyone!

This is really intriguing. Thank you so much for sharing your experiences with this process. A few piggy-back questions:

(1) Do you have to renew the AP approval every year so that the class remains listed on the AP course ledger https://apcourseaudit.epiconline.org/ledger/ or is the approval record enough?

(2) If colleges want students to take the most rigorous courses available to them (that they can handle) once you have the AP class designation for one class, do you feel more inclined to go through the process for additional classes that you are covering at the AP level or are you comfortable having a small number of designations on the transcript?

Thanks,

(Edited to remove a question #3)

This is really intriguing. Thank you so much for sharing your experiences with this process. A few piggy-back questions:

(1) Do you have to renew the AP approval every year so that the class remains listed on the AP course ledger https://apcourseaudit.epiconline.org/ledger/ or is the approval record enough?

(2) If colleges want students to take the most rigorous courses available to them (that they can handle) once you have the AP class designation for one class, do you feel more inclined to go through the process for additional classes that you are covering at the AP level or are you comfortable having a small number of designations on the transcript?

Thanks,

(Edited to remove a question #3)

I don't personally feel like I need to have lots of AP just because I've gone through the process with one or a couple areas. Even though I feel that I can provide a challenging course in history or English, I would less willing to try to guide a student through an AP science course. I'd probably even be more willing to annotate a transcript as Physics with AP exam and cite the score than to try to go through the syllabus process. That of course is only my point of view.

I don't think you need to continue to renew the course if you aren't teaching it subsequent years. The approval letter still counts to demonstrate that the course was approved in a particular year. (In fact if you go through the Course Ledger for schools, you will see that schools have listings for several years at a time on the ledger. Some are noted as having multiple syllabi approved, I suppose because more than one teacher teaches the course.)

However, I don't know if you can renew a syllabus that has lapsed. If a course was approved for 2013-14, not renewed for 14-15 and then was submitted for renewal in 15-16 as an example. That would be a question for College Board.

I did find the following info about renewals, which might answer some questions.

Are home school courses eligible to be listed on the AP Course Ledger?

No. Concurrent with College Board standards, home school courses are not eligible to receive school codes. To qualify for a school code one must:

1. Teach at least through the 10th grade>
  2. Have a course of study that leads to a diploma or GED
  3. A minimum of 10 students enrolled in grades 9-12
  4. Offer classroom instruction of the core curriculum and courses on-site and, be accredited by one of the agencies/organizations on the College Board Approved Accreditation list.

Because home school providers do not meet all of the criteria listed, they are unable to be listed on the AP Course ledger. The authorization letter distributed for each course will be documentation that the AP designation can be used on student transcripts. To make sure colleges and universities acknowledge your students' successful completion of an AP course, please attach a copy of your authorization letter to each student's transcript.

I suppose that I could include the authorization letters to the course description info when my kids apply to college. I imagine that I will probably just note in the description that the course was an approved AP course and state that the letter is available upon request.

So what technically is the authorization letter? The email you receive saying you are official? I can't remember if I gave them an address for the purposes of mailing an actual paper letter.

On the audit homepage in the box that lists your courses there are two icons for each course. One is to the PDF of the syllabus. The other is to a copy of the letter.

The text of the letter seems to be the same as the email.

On the audit homepage in the box that lists your courses there are two icons for each course. One is to the PDF of the syllabus. The other is to a copy of the letter.

The text of the letter seems to be the same as the email.

Ah ha!  Thank you!  I hadn't studied the page past the approval note yet.

CB submissions have ended for this year but will open soon for next year. 

Thanks to all the encouragement here I ended up submitted my other syllabus as well.   Totally different experience from the first..this time I had results back in half an hour (even when I submitted on the last day).

If you are thinking about this for next year I would encourage you to go ahead.  It is no where as difficult as I had imagined.

CB submissions have ended for this year but will open soon for next year. 

Thanks to all the encouragement here I ended up submitted my other syllabus as well.   Totally different experience from the first..this time I had results back in half an hour (even when I submitted on the last day).

If you are thinking about this for next year I would encourage you to go ahead.  It is no where as difficult as I had imagined.

:iagree:  We are now official here for AP European History. Phew! Congrats to everyone that had a syllabus approved. For me, going through the process brought to light many resources that I had previously missed. I also developed a new appreciation for the work that some very fine teachers are doing in order to help their students make connections and to be excited about the topic.

Sebastian,

I have a couple of questions for you about your AP choices.

Well, first I need to thank you. I had no idea that there is another government course beyond AP US Government.

So the "GoPo" has a more international flavor?

Sailor Dude loves politics, international news, US history, and following the money trail.

Next year, I am committed to having him take PAHS' AP Macro course, because it is an area of high interest. I had thought to have him take the AP US History course for which they have a very good reputation, but now I am wondering if the "GoPo" class might be more up his alley. In our state, high school students are required to take 0.5 credits Econ and 0.5 credits government, which means I would have to add a government component anyway if I go with my original plan.

Ds is currently working on a paper for this contest for his AP Lang. class and it reflects some of his interests. This makes me think that AP GOPO would be more meaningful academically than the US History course or even the US Government course.

Your thoughts?

I hope this makes sense. I was one of those who turned in their AP syllabus yesterday. "Overkill" would be putting it mildly. :tongue_smilie:

I had no idea about this.  Does this mean that you have to submit a syllabus if you want to put "AP" on the transcript?  What would be the difference in just taking the AP exam and submitting the score?

If you do this, (submit a syllabus and designate it as AP on the transcript), do you have to also take the AP exam?  Will it look bad if you take an AP class but not the exam for that class?

Thanks so much, and sorry for my confusion!  I actually had no idea about this whatsoever.  I just thought you could study for the AP exam and take it.

I had no idea about this.  Does this mean that you have to submit a syllabus if you want to put "AP" on the transcript?  What would be the difference in just taking the AP exam and submitting the score?

Correct, you can only call your course "AP Chemistry," for example, if you or your outsourced course provider has a College Board approved syllabus. However, many homescholers have self-studied APs without syllabus approval and have called the course something like "Advanced Chemistry with AP Exam" on the official transcript.

IMO, the approach you take won't make a difference in college admissions. What does count are the AP scores your child earns. You can list the AP scores right on the transcript so that the admissions offices can find them at a glance.

What syllabus approval does do for you is give you access to a free practice AP test that isn't available to non-approved teachers. You can still purchase released exams from the CB store & participate in the AP Teacher Forums (a terrific source of ideas & materials) w/o syllabus approval.

If you do this, (submit a syllabus and designate it as AP on the transcript), do you have to also take the AP exam?  Will it look bad if you take an AP class but not the exam for that class?

It's always a good idea to take the exam & report the score for any AP class listed on the transcript.

Thanks so much, and sorry for my confusion!  I actually had no idea about this whatsoever.  I just thought you could study for the AP exam and take it.

It's really up to you! Some parents are more comfortable planning the course out in advance and having the syllabus approved. Others like me don't...I mean, I DO plan like crazy, but I never sought syllabus approval, and we did a couple dozen AP classes at home. It didn't hurt my kids in any way to make that choice.

Yes, if you want to include the designation on your transcript as part of the course name (as in "AP Biology") then you need to get approval from College Board via the audit process.  You may, of course, take the exam and submit the score without taking an official AP class.  But taking the test does not allow you to designate the class as AP.  To my knowledge there is no requirement that you take an AP exam just because you took the course.  Although many schools do have this requirement so it may seem that way.  I have no idea how an admissions department would view taking the class but not the exam.  And finally, yes, you may study for and take any AP exam you wish, you may even take exams without taking a matching class (ie take the AP Psychology exam without listing a psychology course on your transcript).  But, taking an exam does not entitle you to designate a course on your transcript as AP.  My understanding is that one would label the course as "Biology with AP Biology Exam" not "AP Biology".  The distinction is small but I believe the message College Board is trying to send with the AP label is that the syllabus has been examined by one or more subject matter experts and found to be equivalent to an introductory college level course.  I hope that helps :)

Edit: Sorry for the repeated info-looks like Kathy and I were typing at the same time.

Thanks so much to both of you!  So, Kathy, then you are saying that your kids did a couple dozen AP level classes, and took the AP exams, you just didn't call it that on their transcripts?

Do people do this (either take the AP exam or submit the syllabus) more for an outside measurement of what was learned, or more to actually get college credit?

Thanks so much to both of you!  So, Kathy, then you are saying that your kids did a couple dozen AP level classes, and took the AP exams, you just didn't call it that on their transcripts?

Do people do this (either take the AP exam or submit the syllabus) more for an outside measurement of what was learned, or more to actually get college credit?

Three of my kids' AP courses were with PA Homeschoolers, so in that case we listed them as AP on their transcripts. For the rest, we listed them as "Advanced xxx with AP Exam." We listed the AP scores on the transcript, sent an official AP score report (not necessary, but I felt it backed up our work done at home), and we also submitted course descriptions which made it obvious that the classes were AP level & used AP appropriate textbooks.

Our purpose for taking APs was primarily two-fold: (1) excellent chance to learn at an appropriate level; the kids enjoyed them, and (2) to give a measure of proof of what the kids accomplished to college admissions offices.

Their universities granted some credit for their scores, and more importantly, appropriate placement in advanced and honors level courses.

I think people do it for multiple reasons: to receive outside validation of homeschool grades, to potentially get college credit (since that is a risk based on subject choice, score, and college attended), personal challenge, and to visibly meet that vague request of so many admissions departments, that you challenge yourself by taking the hardest courses available to you.

{Note: I don't mean to suggest that homeschoolers who don't seek AP designation, either through audit or outside courses, aren't completing work at the most challenging level available to them.  Many certainly are and have found a variety of ways to express this.  I am suggesting that admissions departments often look at application materials quickly and for some schools or programs giving them what they expect to see can be useful.}

Edit: I think Kathy in Richmond and I need to apply to have synchronized typing made and Olympic event :laugh:   Do you wish for summer or winter?

Yes, if you want to include the designation on your transcript as part of the course name (as in "AP Biology") then you need to get approval from College Board via the audit process.  You may, of course, take the exam and submit the score without taking an official AP class.  But taking the test does not allow you to designate the class as AP.  To my knowledge there is no requirement that you take an AP exam just because you took the course.  Although many schools do have this requirement so it may seem that way.  I have no idea how an admissions department would view taking the class but not the exam.  And finally, yes, you may study for and take any AP exam you wish, you may even take exams without taking a matching class (ie take the AP Psychology exam without listing a psychology course on your transcript).  But, taking an exam does not entitle you to designate a course on your transcript as AP.  My understanding is that one would label the course as "Biology with AP Biology Exam" not "AP Biology".  The distinction is small but I believe the message College Board is trying to send with the AP label is that the syllabus has been examined by one or more subject matter experts and found to be equivalent to an introductory college level course.  I hope that helps :)

Edit: Sorry for the repeated info-looks like Kathy and I were typing at the same time.

My two oldest kids took an official AP European History through their school and didn't take the test. They love history and knew the teacher was  good one. For them, taking the test didn't make sense.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi! I thought I might be able to ask my question here, since this is about AP courses and exams. I think my dd will do AP Literature in her senior year, and because exams are in May, she wouldn't be able to add her AP scores to her admission since college admissions are in October. Has anyone else had this problem? Would it be 'dumb' to do an AP course in senior year? Would it be better to do it in junior year?

And can someone describe to me how a syllabus looks like? Does a syllabus just have the names of books you use in that course or does it have more?

Hi! I thought I might be able to ask my question here, since this is about AP courses and exams. I think my dd will do AP Literature in her senior year, and because exams are in May, she wouldn't be able to add her AP scores to her admission since college admissions are in October. Has anyone else had this problem? Would it be 'dumb' to do an AP course in senior year? Would it be better to do it in junior year?

And can someone describe to me how a syllabus looks like? Does a syllabus just have the names of books you use in that course or does it have more?

It depends on what your goal is with an AP class.  It is perfectly normal for kids in schools to take multiple AP classes senior year.  AP English Lit is typically thought of as a senior year class in the part of the US we come from.  Taking them senior year gives you the ability to benefit from at least two of their uses...you would still have the potential to receive college credit at the school you ultimately attend-just make sure to send them your score ASAP.  Second, your transcript that is submitted with an application will show something designating an AP class or class with AP exam to follow-this helps with the nebulous requirement that your course selection show that you are taking the most challenging courses available.

A syllabus has more than books.  There would be a description of grading criteria, topics or themes to be covered, etc.  It depends on each AP course what content is required.  The best way to find out is to go to the college board website and look at the sample syllabi or at the teacher's guide for any class you are considering.

It depends on what your goal is with an AP class.  It is perfectly normal for kids in schools to take multiple AP classes senior year.  AP English Lit is typically thought of as a senior year class in the part of the US we come from.  Taking them senior year gives you the ability to benefit from at least two of their uses...you would still have the potential to receive college credit at the school you ultimately attend-just make sure to send them your score ASAP.  Second, your transcript that is submitted with an application will show something designating an AP class or class with AP exam to follow-this helps with the nebulous requirement that your course selection show that you are taking the most challenging courses available.

A syllabus has more than books.  There would be a description of grading criteria, topics or themes to be covered, etc.  It depends on each AP course what content is required.  The best way to find out is to go to the college board website and look at the sample syllabi or at the teacher's guide for any class you are considering.

Thank you for your help. Is AP Art History also considered a senior class? My dd will most likely major in history. She isn't sure which history major though, but is it 'normal' to take AP courses in what you will major in? Sorry for asking so many questions! I took a quick look at a sample of a syllabus, and it seems like quite a bit of work. I might just call in an honors class with AP exam on her transcript... I am not sure yet.