Menu

Talk to me about online class options. . . .

• 1 month later...

Mom in High Heels,  I will be taking Scott Powell's History at Our House for American History next year.  I took his European History for Upper Elementary children this year and learned so much.  Oh I am 45 by the way.. :)  Seriously, my 9 and 12 yr old loved this guy.  I listened to every recording commuting to work, and I learned more from this elementary class than I did in high school or college.  Mr. Powell is very entertaining, knows his stuff well, and delivers it well.  I think he is a great history teacher.  You can do either recordings of Webex, or live Webex with the class.

http://www.historyatourhouse.com

I keep going  back to it but it is so hard to navigate the site. I spent way too much time trying to find an example of the science and then finally gave up without ever finding it.  

Everyone who I have heard from has said they loved it.

• Like 2

I keep going  back to it but it is so hard to navigate the site. I spent way too much time trying to find an example of the science and then finally gave up without ever finding it.  

I had problems, too.  Every time I tried to click a link on the site the link was broken.  Does anyone know whether this is a temporary or chronic problem?

• Like 1

JoJosMom / kwg,

The website definitely WAS NOT a chronic problem last year for History at our House or the Literature at our House.  It looks like they are trying to implement a new payment system this week, so they are making changes to the pages unfortunately.  It looks like it is working ok right now.

The main websites, historyatourhouse.com or literatureatourhouse.com, are for information about the program such as a the syllabus, school year calendar, and for registering for the courses.

After you register for the courses, you are sent an email with a link to the content.  There are differences for history at our house vs literature at our house.  Scott Powell of HAOH uses Webex for the live classes while Luc Travers, who teaches LAOH,  uses WizIQ for the live classes.  Depending on the level you purchase, live classes or recordings, you will access them through a web link that is provided after registration.

We had no issues accessing recordings throughout the entire year.  Both teachers are very responsive so you can contact them directly with questions.

Scott Powell's email address is:

powell_sd@hotmail.com

Luc Travers for Literature:

luctravers@gmail.com

Oh it also looks like Scott Powell has added an informational video to historyatourhouse.com site.  Or access directly on YouTube

Hope I have answered your concerns about the website.  It really was an amazing history and literature program that the kids just loved.  They are getting excited about the new year for both classes!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

http://www.goodsofthemind.com/index.html

Author Cleo Borac teaches these problem-solving math courses. We couldn't enroll this year due to a scheduling conflict but will most likely in the fall. $250 for 25 1-hour classes and a very fair prorata refund of classes. She is also very responsive with emails.

These are her books, http://www.amazon.com/-/e/B00DXHDM2A

• Like 1

FundaFunda.com - my site - we teach computer programming and photography at present and will add Geography and Spanish next year. Only Spanish will have live classes but there are deadlines and homework is graded and their is support when students need help.

• Like 5

FundaFunda.com - my site - we teach computer programming and photography at present and will add Geography and Spanish next year. Only Spanish will have live classes but there are deadlines and homework is graded and their is support when students need help.

What will the Geography course include?  Excited about this!

Adding: VLACS in NH is a free online "public charter" with a healthy-looking course catalog - we have not personally taken any of their classes (yet), but I have my eye on it. They do offer AP courses.

A tutoring student of mine had a problem with their Algebra I class in that she was required to do quite a bit of explaining of how she got the correct answers (lots of typing); this ended up being a clumsy obstacle to her actual LEARNING of the math, so she dropped the course.

The Edison Project- Physics classes for students 8-18. A college professor designed the classes. Each class is an 8 week module ($55). Your student builds projects, submits assignments, and completes quizzes and tests. I have friends that have raved over these classes. The website isn't great, but the content is super. Most of the beginning projects utilize the SNAP circuit kits. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I didn't see "Well Trained Mind Academy" on this list: http://www.wtmacademy.com 

They offer classes in Literature, Math, History, Science, Writing & Music/Fine Arts

Cost: $499/ yr for those that meet 1x/week or $549/yr for those that meet 2x/week plus registration fee of $60...check website for semester class cost.

Right now thru 3/31/15 they are offering discount for pre-registering of $75 (year course) and $30 (Semester course). Looks like they also have payment plan options.

Have not taken any courses yet but have heard some amazing things about the Rhetoric courses. Just signed Dd up for Intro to Rhetoric today! Yay

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I want to add a new resource that I found. Bluefield College is a Christian college in Virgina. They offer duel enrollment courses to homeschoolers for $130 each online and in person. You can actually earn a general studies associates from them while in high school. The college is regionally accredited, so their courses transfer to Thomas Edison State College and other popular homeschool colleges. If you know what college your student wants to attend, make sure that they will accept these credits. However, $130 for both high school and college credit is an incredible value. 

Brenda Workman is a veteran homeschool mom and is in charge of the duel enrollment program. You can reach her at workman at bluefield.edu

I found her to be very friendly and super helpful. The admission process is fairly simple.

• Like 3

Here is resource for Latin and Greek classes. I like the awesome guarantee and the offer to repeat the class as many times as a student needs for free. It is for students 13+ and is high school credit worthy. The price is the best that I have seen anywhere. The Lingua Latin is $294 for the entire year or $204 if you own Visual Latin. The Henle class is $250. Dwayne Thomas is absolutely hilarious. Check out your options here.

Think Outside the Border classes by Dwayne Thomas. 

Recently came across Roman Roads Media, and they just announced that they will be offering Logic, Humanities I, Humanties II online beginning in the 2015-16 school year. Wes Callihan is teaching the Humanities courses, and James Nance will teach the Logic course.

I'm considering the Humanities I for my 9th grader and thought I'd mention the classes here, especially since they are new. The video lecture samples for the Greeks/Romans are fascinating--makes me want to take a class myself!

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Here are some links that give more detailed information.

If I understand it correctly it is 29.95 a month ( 299.95 for a year) for up to 5 classes.

https://www.acellus.com/browse-courses.php

https://www.acellus.com/how-acellus-works.php

https://www.acellus.com/enroll/academy.php

The site is new to me, I recently found it in a search.

We have not tried any of the courses.

Hth

The Edison Project- Physics classes for students 8-18. A college professor designed the classes. Each class is an 8 week module ($55). Your student builds projects, submits assignments, and completes quizzes and tests. I have friends that have raved over these classes. The website isn't great, but the content is super. Most of the beginning projects utilize the SNAP circuit kits. 

I will second the Edison Project classes. My son has done several classes (EP1 and 2, soldering, robotics) and has thouroughly enjoyed all of them. Mr. Phillips is very responsive to questions and the courses are well written and completed without help by my 12yo. He is learning a great deal about how circuits work, more than I ever care to know :)

www.quickstudylabs.com

• Like 2

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I would like to add Online classes for Groovy Kids to the list. I previewed a class offered last fall based on the book Stowaway by Karen Hesse. I was highly impressed with the in depth, cross curricular nature of the content. I am planning for my two to take it when it is offered at a time that more closely correlates with our history study.

http://www.onlineclassesforgroovykids.org

Edited by paulabarber

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Recently came across Roman Roads Media, and they just announced that they will be offering Logic, Humanities I, Humanties II online beginning in the 2015-16 school year. Wes Callihan is teaching the Humanities courses, and James Nance will teach the Logic course.

I'm considering the Humanities I for my 9th grader and thought I'd mention the classes here, especially since they are new. The video lecture samples for the Greeks/Romans are fascinating--makes me want to take a class myself!

Roman Roads Media flipped classrooms will be offering Logic, Rhetoric, the Grammar of Poetry, Old Western Culture, Good Books, Econ, American History AND Visual Latin (I'll be teaching the Grammar of Poetry- woot,woot!)

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Thank you for this great list of online programs, courses. We have used AOPS online math for Algebra A, B, and Intro to Geometry. We are taking Intermediate Algebra this fall. We have taken several Brave Writer online courses as well. This year we are interested in other writing-language arts programs and AP Online-live interactive courses and looking forward to seeing reviews here. Hoping for feedback from those who have used the Veritas Press Scholars online AP courses and others you can recommend. This is a great resource and will follow.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I will second Online Classes for Groovy Kids.  Our daughter (11) is taking Cacao and the Rainforest and loves it!  Ms Amanda's curriculum is very well done, structured, and fun.  It is far more comprehensive than I anticipated and we're thrilled.  We plan to take another class in the spring semester.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...