Menu

MFW high school scope and sequence

Hello,

I was wondering if somebody could help me figure out MFW's high school scope and sequence. I most likely plan to switch to MFW for high school, but since it's a recent decision not sure how to proceed w/history. We are currently using a curriculum (8th grade) where we are studying Greece and will finish the OT for bible (studied Egypt and first 1/2 of OT last year). She's also reading Black Ships before Troy and The Wanderings of Odysseus (younger versions of the Iliad and the Odyssey). I think AHL would be redundant for her. I've also heard that MFW hardly covers Rome? Is that true?

I'm wondering if it might work best to continue w/our current curriculum for 9th (Rome for a year). We'd also be reading Matthew-Acts. Does WHL cover Middle Ages/Ren./Ref. if we jump in in 10th? I just don't know if it would be better to do our whole current curriculum of Rome/Matthew-Acts, or do just the history portions  and cover Rome/Ren./Ref. and something else for Bible since we'd be reading the NT in WHL the following year.

Another reason I'd maybe want to skip AHL is that I'd like her to do Lost tools of Writing and know there wouldn't be time if we did the writing in AHL. If you're following me, I'd appreciate any advice! Thanks so much:) Blessings, Gina

That's great that your dd's finished the Old Testament.  Usually I like to mention that reading it in high school is different than reading it at a younger age, but your dd diving into it over two years in 7-8th sounds similar to doing it in 9th.  I might call the MFW office and see whether they have any ideas on subbing out the Bible or anything like that.  They do have experience talking to a lot of folks.

AHL History and English have a lot of apologetics at an early rhetoric stage.  So, students read other ancient works (the full Iliad & Odyssey, Gilgamesh, etc.) and learn to write comparisons, defend their views in an argumentative essay, etc.  Not sure if your dd has done that, but I found my ds was beginning to think very differently about things in 9th grade.  Of course, he's a boy LOL, so your dd may be ahead of him, but I do think there is a change at that age.  He was glad for the more grown-up chance to compare his faith to outside things.  I also think AHL has a balanced amount of work for a student getting used to taking high school seriously but not being buried by it.  I'm not sure what the Lost Tools of Writing includes, but here is basically what's in AHL:

- 6 more casual essays for history credit
- 5 formal argumentative essays, working on the main writing lesson for the year (the first one is less formal as the student learns the format)
- grammar-based essay editing for several weeks, and some grammar work at the end of the year
- a Proverbs Project and a Psalms writing project

As for Rome, AHL covers the historical time period of the Old Testament, so Rome is saved for the next year, when reading the New Testament (beginning with a short trip back in time). 

And as for WHL, it's truly a whirlwind tour of World History, so it doesn't spend a ton of time on the Middle Ages/Renaissance/Reformation other than including the typical number of chapters in a world history text (with added timeline & mapping etc), as well as the history of the church being covered thoroughly in the Plain Language book.  WHL basically starts at Rome and goes through history, ending with a brief overview of modern times in terms of other cultures (America is covered in depth in US1 and US2).  I always like to add that WHL includes 1 credit in world history and 0.25 credit in geography (somewhat optional).  There are easy ways to fill out that geography credit to 0.5 or 1.0 (mentioned in US2), but those could be plugged into your dd's extended time with WHL, as another option.

Spending a full year on Rome seems like a lot for high school, when there is so much territory to cover, but of course I don't know what all your study would involve, maybe Rome's influence on government, etc?

My initial thought would be to start with AHL and skim through it, taking a black marker to some things, while having the leisure to delve into others such as writing, or read a couple of extras (I added Oedipus, since I think it's so prominent in our culture).  Then if you are already ready to start WHL in say 2nd semester of 9th grade, you could take your time and do it all the way through 10th as well.  There is always more world lit, more Shakespeare, the geography credit, or delve into any other area of interest.  But I'm big on brainstorming too many ideas sometimes :)

Does that help at all?

Julie

Jule, that was very helpful...thanks!!!  I think you're right about the year on Rome. I'm trying not to tweak so much anymore...gets stressful for me:) I think I'd rather do MFW pretty much as written, so will likely re-vamp our coming semester w/some different materials so she can start fresh on ancients/OT next year. Thanks again, I really appreciate your input!! Blessings, Gina

Oops, meant Julie:) And I just looked at your site...so sorry about Shane...hope you are doing well.

No problem on the name, Jule is actually a nickname some call me.  It's better than "July" which is the way most guys spell my name, never connecting it with the month LOL.

Thanks for your kind words.  I am okay.  I am helped by chatting with grown-ups on boards :)

Julie

Julie, if you don't mind another question:) I was wondering how much writing instruction is given. The reason I was considering Lost Tools of Writing is because it teaches thinking skills alongside writing. But I think it would be too much to add to AHL. We're using Jump In right now so she's writing persuasive essays, and she'll have finished Analytical Grammar by 9th. I'm assuming that's enough English to be prepared for the writing in MFW? Thanks again for any help:) Blessings, Gina

I personally think it's enough.  The first argumentative essay in AHL has what I consider complete instructions on setting up the essay.  That's not to say that all 9th graders will absorb it all without adult supervision.  But I'm one who feels writing can't go anywhere without interacting with a reader, no matter what program you use.  If you feel out of your league in critiquing it even with the AHL guidance, then I've seen plenty of folks post their student's essay for review on the Yahoo group, the MFW board, or if you're brave you can do it here on WTM (where the bar is very high :) ).

After that first essay, there are grammar lessons that are applied to the student's own writing, such as avoiding personal pronoun subjects.  I love that the student instantly applies these to their own writing, especially to argumentative writing, rather than just doing a workbook assignment and forgetting.  Then the next argumentative essays gradually have more complex topics.  There isn't a ton of additional teaching, but there is the previous teaching to go back to and focus on areas of need (things like thesis statements, topic sentences, all the usual things that kids forget).

As far as other writing, the history essays are pretty casual and content-based, and then there are a couple of more creative writing opportunities in the middle of the year, for those kids who want to get creative.

HTH,

Julie

Julie, if you don't mind another question:) I was wondering how much writing instruction is given. The reason I was considering Lost Tools of Writing is because it teaches thinking skills alongside writing. But I think it would be too much to add to AHL. We're using Jump In right now so she's writing persuasive essays, and she'll have finished Analytical Grammar by 9th. I'm assuming that's enough English to be prepared for the writing in MFW? Thanks again for any help:) Blessings, Gina

I hope it's ok to chime in. I've used MFW's AHL with 2 of my children.  I don't disagree with Julie. Just wanted to share.

I think you've given your child good to excellent instruction to be ready for the pace and writing in AHL and MFW.   I agree with Julie that no matter what you use for writing, you have to have someone involved to help a writer.(you, dh, or a tutor.)  Even back in my AP high school english, the teacher was there to guide.   When I've heard a lot of complaints this year on a AHL facebook group, it's from those who have not done much writing in jr. high, and from those who expect that the student in early weeks of 9th grade is somehow supposed to do all of this on their own, or have college freshman expectations instead of high school freshman.  Others have seem to struggle with students who can't form one paragraph without it being an ordeal (in some of those cases, it's due to special needs.)  MFW suggests that you spend the first week or two with your 9th grader to help out and teach.  you can even set down math/science for a week and it's ok if that would help with the transition.

I think the minimum a student needs to be ready for week 1 of AHL in MFW, is the ability to write one well developed paragraph (intro sentence, supporting ideas, topic sentence, that kind of thing).  It doesn't have to be with the strongest vocab or perfect structure on draft one, but after an edit or two, you have a good paragraph.   All of that is taught at review pace in week 1 of AHL.  parallel structure of thesis sentence is also taught at a quick pace that first week.  But you sound like you're in good shape from using Jump In.  Week 1 the essay is on anything that you want to have an opinion on. 

Thinking skills: well, ahl's lit/comp guide does include critical thinking questions.  Bible study book has questions.  Not sure what Lost Tools has for teaching skills of thinking? but if you feel like it's too much to do, it can be skipped. 

happy new year

Thanks, Ladies! That's very helpful. She's not a super-strong writer, but I think by the time she finishes Jump In this year she should be fine, it sounds like. I kind of wish we would have done Lost Tools this year, but after a stint w/Classical Writing Homer I was a bit gun shy. Anyway, it sounds like MFW will do a good job teaching writing and I'm excited to have writing tied to our subjects instead of done separately. Thanks very much for your input!! Happy New Year to you both:) Blessings, Gina

Oh, I know this is a high school board, but since I have your ear....if you have a moment:) I'm also considering doing MFW next year w/my (then) 6th grader. We've been doing a 6 yr. history cycle w/another curriculum and will finish Greece this year. Would it be best to just finish out the history cycle for 6th-8th? It think that's Rome-Reformation for 6th, then American for 7th/8th? Is there mapping included w/those? ECC sounds interesting, but no time to do it all:) Thanks! Gina

Gina,

you have lots of good options you are looking at.

Here's one idea for how to get it done with ECC in mind....  

next year with 6th grader, do ECC (at jr. high level)

then,  7th in RTR

8th in 1850MOD.

then in 9th grade starts high school at AHL

Doing that "3 year fill the gap" approach can be a mini cycle at logic stage for your second child (who is youngest in family). ECC, RTR, 1850MOD.  in 1850MOD, there is a built in mini review of early american history to help review or cover quickly the first time if needed.  It's a viable option when the youngest child in the family is in those grade.  ECC has mapping.  there is some mapping in RTR.  and 1850MOD has good amount of map work with the SOTW activity book.

Thanks for the advice! I'll have to think on that. Ds just commented that he was looking forward to studying Rome next year. We visited there last summer and I wanted to study it somewhat close to our trip:) Thanks for the tip...I didn't know there was a little review in 1850MOD. That would help fill the gap nicely if we go this route. Or maybe it would be simplest to just stick w/our current curriculum until h.s. Much to pray and ponder:) Thanks again!

Gina,

Happy new year to you, as well!

I'll throw in 2 cents to the brainstorming session for your now 5th grader.  I see 3 options being discussed:

1. Rome-Reformation for 6th, then American for 7th/8th?

This would be nice if you just visited Rome.  Yes, there's mapping and geography awareness in all MFW years.  I think that comes out of the Hazells' missionary experience.  So you don't need to squeeze in ECC just for the mapping.

2. 6th: MFW Rome-Reformation

7th: Notgrass America the Beautiful (to cover American in one year)

8th: MFW ECC

I kind of hate jumping around in curriculums...

Well, I'm biased towards our good experience, but especially if you don't like jumping around, I would choose RTR/EX1850/1850MOD over this plan.  The American history over 2 years allows world history to be incorporated (via SOTW) alongside studies of most of the 13 colonies, info on all 50 states plus committing to memory their locations and capitals, and every president.

Your student would still have good prep for high school, with the country report in EX1850 and the outlining experience in 1850MOD.  A couple ideas from ECC 7-8th grade could be added *if* needed (maybe current events & a country report).  My ds did 1850MOD in 7th (2nd semester) / 8th (1st semester), and really enjoyed delving into topics of his own interest, like the stock market.

3. next year with 6th grader, do ECC (at jr. high level)

then,  7th in RTR

8th in 1850MOD.

then in 9th grade starts high school at AHL

I also like this plan.  I also see the overlaps that Crystal mentioned.  Plus, ECC is a nice break from world history and really cements the idea that all people are interesting and of value to God.  Not sure what you've been using for ancients, so not sure where your kids are on that, but if they at all worry about world events, this would be a nice path.

Just joining in the brainstorming session,

Julie

Thanks, Julie, for brainstorming w/me:) I suppose there's not 'bad' option. I just need to pray and ponder over which might work best. Fortunately, I don't have to make a decision right away. I appreciate your input and will need to keep re-visiting this thread as I try to figure out which option would be best. Thanks again for your time and ideas:) Blessings, Gina