Menu

Can we share longer term projects...both research or art....

Mommyfaithe

These can include anything your child is working on to enrich their learning.

My 10th grader just finished up a cardboard model of a nuclear reactor. Lol! I thought it was pretty cool.

I would like my kids to do more research / write/ present type projects.....and have been thinking they should learn to do PowerPoint type presentations.

So, what are your kids up to??

My 9th and 11th graders have both spent significant time reading Tolkien and Lewis. My 11th grader has also spent quite of bit of time researching the Inklings. Someone posted this link the other day, http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/498988-call-for-papers-the-inklings-and-king-arthur/

We haven't looked into it fully, but will on Thursday when we return to school. I am thinking that they both take this on as a capstone type spring project. Fwiw, I am not thinking in terms of submission, but just the experience of completing this type of project which I think they would both enjoy a lot.

I love reading about kids' projects!!  Thanks for starting this thread.

6th grader: 

1.  making a seed bank

2.  planning our square foot garden

3.  designing and trying to build an indoor hydroponics system

4.  built a rock filtration system out of an aquarium nursery box and an air pump or something (it was over my head)

5th grader:

Getting ready to work through a book called A Blueprint for Geometry where you design a house on paper and do the math to figure out how much square footage for different projects (like the roofing, flooring, etc)...

5th grader and 3rd grader:

We put together a comic book art class and they are working through that together.  They've also been reading every graphic novel they can get their hands on and spending one evening a week at the comic book store.  They've been watching art tutorials on YouTube showing how to draw eyes, faces, etc.  3rd grader put together a two-page comic for me this morning (for fun).  Lots and lots of sketching.

Kindergartener:

Really interested in owls and watching owl cams online/listening to owl vocalizations.  She's watching that Dirty Jobs episode of Vomit Island right now and I guess we'll need to do owl pellet dissections again.  Yuck!    

My 5th grader is creating an insect encyclopedia so as to prepare herself for a science competition involving entomology. She is working on being able to identify 30 orders and 100 families (physical characteristics, habitats, life cycles, impact on humans, mating, feeding,etc), identify and understand functions of insect anatomy, and create dichotomous keys.  

We're still in 3rd grade so my dd's work  won't be quite as detailed as what you are asking about. And our projects need to be VERY economical. So I am really appreciating the long term project suggestions found in Portraits of American Girlhood.

One project we are doing is learing about the beautiful state of New Mexico. We have been using old library discard mags to cut out pics of Natives, scenery, archetecture, animals and plants. We are reading about these things and making a portfolio  collection of it all.

A project we will get to is a beautiful Constillation book made with black paper and shiny gel pens.

Another 6 week project is a newspaper. Doing one sort of ad/article per week.

My DD is researching the habitat preferences of rough earth snakes and how to alter your backyard habitat to avoid killing them with the lawnmower/edger (triggered by exactly that happening-we have a small colony in our yard, who seem to relish sitting on the curb on warm days when the grass is long). She's building a couple of areas that she thinks they'll like, and will be watching the population numbers in their current favorite spots and her new favorite spot to see if they'll move to the new spot, which would be safer for them. She's been involved with a couple of field studies where she's collected information for others, but this is the first one she's trying to do on her own.

I'm considering trying to set up some sort of showcase or symposium for my homeschool group for kids to present their projects. However, given that I had a total of 4 kids, count them, 4, actually register for spelling bee after a huge number of parents expressed interest, I'm a little frustrated with trying to put something together.