Menu

Elemental Science Experiment Kit

Is it worth buying without the kit? I was going to do Biology for the grammar stage with my daughter, but the experiment kit isn't available and won't be for a few months. Should I pass on it and try a different program or is the kit not all that necessary? 

Yes it's worth buying without the kit, as I found most of the supplies were items I could find in the grocery store. When I was overwhelmed with babies arriving, being put on bed rest, and a couple of family crisis, science kits were a life saver because we had the supplies on hand. :001_smile:

Usually the Elemental Science sample includes the supply list. Did you take a look at that?

I did see the list. I don't have a lot of the items, and a few are foreign to me (wouldn't know aquarium tubing if it was staring me in the face). I guess I'm just being lazy because there are already so many things to plan and print out that I didn't even think of doing a science program without an experiment kit. 

I did see the list. I don't have a lot of the items, and a few are foreign to me (wouldn't know aquarium tubing if it was staring me in the face). I guess I'm just being lazy because there are already so many things to plan and print out that I didn't even think of doing a science program without an experiment kit. 

I'll be honest. I prefer to pick up a kit, not because we can't do the program without it, but rather that it makes life so much easier to have the supplies right there on hand. There are a couple of options I can think of. The first is to make a special shopping trip to purchase everything you need (except perishable items), or go online and order the supplies using the supply list. My recommendations would be Amazon or hometrainingtools.com, which sells science supplies. The second would be to rearrange the order of the units so the difficult supplies are needed later in the year, after the kit is available.

I've made a practice of saving all my reusable science supplies in a box. The box is now full of all sorts of science equipment, and I'm foreseeing a time in the near future when I'll rarely need to purchase a science kit. This is simply to say, I've found purchasing the kits to be a worthwhile investment. :001_smile:

I'll be honest. I prefer to pick up a kit, not because we can't do the program without it, but rather that it makes life so much easier to have the supplies right there on hand. There are a couple of options I can think of. The first is to make a special shopping trip to purchase everything you need (except perishable items), or go online and order the supplies using the supply list. My recommendations would be Amazon or hometrainingtools.com, which sells science supplies. The second would be to rearrange the order of the units so the difficult supplies are needed later in the year, after the kit is available.

I've made a practice of saving all my reusable science supplies in a box. The box is now full of all sorts of science equipment, and I'm foreseeing a time in the near future when I'll rarely need to purchase a science kit. This is simply to say, I've found purchasing the kits to be a worthwhile investment. :001_smile:

Thanks! You've been very helpful. I think what I'm going to do is try the sites you listed and do a special shopping trip. If I have a difficult time finding multiple items or the prices aren't reasonable, I may try Noeo or Nancy Larson.

Thanks! You've been very helpful. I think what I'm going to do is try the sites you listed and do a special shopping trip. If I have a difficult time finding multiple items or the prices aren't reasonable, I may try Noeo or Nancy Larson.

You're welcome! I hope you're off to a great year. :001_smile: