Menu

Minecraft, other Android apps, Android tablet questions

happypamama

Okay, my kids (who are familiar with my iPad) got a Samsung Galaxy Tab for Christmas. Since some apps are different from iOS apps, I am looking for suggestions. It has Polaris for Office documents, Chrome, Dropbox, and gmail, and I added Google Earth, the Kindle app, DuoLingo, Netflix, Stack the States full, and Mango Language, and I'm testing out PDF annotators, so now it will do all of the school stuff that we do on the iPad. I also added Ticket to Ride.

So, Minecraft -- help! They want it, but a lot of things come up when I type in "Minecraft." Which one is a good place to start? Free to start is good; I don't mind paying a bit later, though.

Favorite high quality games and learning apps? My kids are 11, 8, 5, and 2, so toddler and preschool phonics/games/puzzles/math apps are good too, as are math drill apps for the older kids.

Photo editing and/or art/drawing apps? We aren/t familiar with any of these, so I'm open to recommendations.

It comes with a music player and a video player installed. Are these good for mp3s and movies, or should I pick something else, and if so, what? We've ordered an SD card for more storage space -- mp3s, movies, and books go on that, right?

What else would you recommend? Also, is there a guided access sort of thing that locks a kid into one app, like there is on the iPad?

To restrict app usage and limit time for kids: kids place by kiddoware

For toddler/preschool : Dr. Panda apps, anything by this company, zoo train, reading eggs, monkey preschool, these apps, alphabet bus, Intellijoy apps and PBS KIDS has some apps too.

For math: jumpstart (mathblaster and madagascar penguins), dragonbox, einstein math academy, Math run, Ninja math.

For spelling: "Montessori words" (can move letters to spell words on a blank screen, an alternative to a white board).

Other popular ones here: Brain Pop, braincafe Geo Quiz, Amazing Alex, Doodle Physics, Dr. Newton, mrnussbaum.com apps, Traffic Jam,unblock car, unblock lego.

For photos, all we have used is :TimeLapse!, and Cartoon Camera.

I use this to manage my sd card :https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.a0soft.gphone.app2sd. You can store books, movies and some apps on the card.

I use one called "addons detector" to prevent push notifications. It will tell you what app is putting ads/icons on your tablet etc.

I have had no problems playing videos or the like, so unless you have a really unusual file format on one of those videos/audio files you should be fine.

Sorry, we are not a minecraft house, so can't help there LOL!

I may think of mare later LOL!