Menu

Our dog died today

Shawn On the Border

Our beautiful sweet St. Bernard died today. She woke us up at 2 a.m. trying to vomit. We brought her to the emergency vet, and she had bloat. Her stomach had turned on itself, and she was going into shock. The vet was wonderful, and gave us the option of operating, but the prognosis wasn't good. We just couldn't put her through that, so we had her put to sleep. I will miss my sweet dog so much!

I am sorry for your loss. Yesterday, we had to put our Samoyed to sleep. We buried her last night. We believe she was about 14 years old. With regard to "Bloat" or "Gastric Torsion", in "deep chested" dogs. I had an Old English Sheepdog who died of that, very unexpectedly, the night after I got to a motel in Delaware, many years ago. People in the dog club, who know far more about that than I do, told me that usually, the dog will be dead, before you realize what the problem is. And, surviving the surgery and then having good quality of life is probably doubtful, at best. I hope that you will wait a month or two, and then that  your family will give another dog a wonderful home.

Our beautiful sweet St. Bernard died today. She woke us up at 2 a.m. trying to vomit. We brought her to the emergency vet, and she had bloat. Her stomach had turned on itself, and she was going into shock. The vet was wonderful, and gave us the option of operating, but the prognosis wasn't good. We just couldn't put her through that, so we had her put to sleep. I will miss my sweet dog so much!

I am sorry for your loss. Yesterday, we had to put our Samoyed to sleep. We buried her last night. We believe she was about 14 years old.

Oh, I'm so sorry for both of you and your families.