Menu

Art based curriculum for any subject- Does it exist?

caitlinsmom

I am burnt out in a big way.  More than the normal mid year doldrums.  It's finally time to admit that the way I implement WTM just isn't working for my kids. :(  I have been pondering for months how to best inspire my kids in our studies and I think I've come up with a decent idea.  However I don't want to do all the work myself. :)

I am looking for curriculum that is art based for history, science, reading, everything but math.  I am NOT looking for lapbooking.  I'm not sure how to describe what I am looking for, but I want something that is art based (real art not crafts) as a major mode of learning the topic.  Does this exist?  Please share with me if you know of anything!

Well lemme think out loud here some...

I'd love to do something similar, but I go all deer in the headlights planning it out for 10, iykwim. :)

I can't think of an all in one boxed art foundation for all subjects program. But there are some programs that are art based for subjects. Maybe you could meld them somehow?

oak meadow has lots of arts in the lower grades. I hear tell so does Calvert.

Do you have religious restrictions?

God and the history of art is a several years long program. After seeing it once a while back, I bought it for my dd12 and she loves it.

mapping the world thru art. I think that's the name. I might have the wording off.

It seems to me that Waldorf incorporates a lot of art -- or at least you could look to them for inspiration, but I would be interested in knowing what you find. Sounds lovely. Really. I wish you all the best. I'll be watching this thread with interest. I wish I could pull such a thing off.

For grammar you might try The Sentence Family.  I can't get a link to work, but you can see a sample of the program on Currclick.

This reminded me that using diagramming for grammar is a great alternative to standard grammar.  We have really enjoyed Drawing Sentences (by Montoux) and The First Whole Book fo Diagrams.  My 6 year old really enjoys diagramming.

Oh I have the sentence family and it's quite lovely.

I also have draw write now series and draw through history and my kids love those. We don't use the writing sections bc I prefer OLVS cursive, so we just use the art.

Some basic grammar, Ruth heller's world of language books are visually stunning and we enjoyed making our own art books to imitate hers.

Some more ideas...

The Met and the national Gallery of Art have free programs you can use which I hear tell are pretty good.

I have some free links to art stuff under educating on the cheap on my blog. (Linked below.) maybe some of those would inspire lessons?

What kind of art are you looking for? Sculpting, painting, drawing...

It's not art based, but it ties in quite a bit of good art lessons, Five in a Row. The art is our favorite section.

Hmm. There's actually a lot of science in art, but I don't think it's ever taught as a science... Hmmm.

A study of Devinci would be very helpful...

This looks really cool.  My kids like map work but have always wanted to draw the actual maps.  This may be a great resource.

I've never used these, so I don't know much about them.  Draw and Write through History

I like this too.  The sample lesson is quite detailed which would be nice as we start off. 

It seems to me that Waldorf incorporates a lot of art -- or at least you could look to them for inspiration, but I would be interested in knowing what you find. Sounds lovely. Really. I wish you all the best. I'll be watching this thread with interest. I wish I could pull such a thing off.

Back when I first got the crazy notion to homeschool I was drawn to Waldorf in a big way.  I loved the hands on artsy approach but once I started researching I was totally turned off by the whole philosophy behind it.  At the time I felt like it was an all or nothing commitment.  With a few years under my belt I think its time to pick and choose what I want.  I will share whatever I come up with.

I've heard lots about this program.  Thanks for reminding me about it.

Oh that looks pretty and inexpensive!  :)

As I have been looking at these different programs I think I've come up with some really great lessons myself.  If they work out I will share them with everyone. :)

What an interesting idea, Kim!

Here are a couple of ideas:

Math and Art books: http://mathartfun.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/index.html ;

http://www.tarquingroup.com/tabs/books.php?main=Books&sub=Art

History and Art books: Exploring History through Art series ( Knights & Castles by Alex Martin, The Trail West by Ellen Galford, Transportation by Land Sea & Air by Ellen Galford).

Art and Poetry: Talking to the Sun, edited by Kenneth Koch and Kate Farrell.

Music and Art: Metropolitan Museum songbooks (ed. Dan Fox, Go In and Out the Window, Lullabies, A Treasury of Children's Songs).

Logic and Art (maybe??): Anna Nilsen books (Art Fraud Detective, Art Auction Mystery, etc.).

There must be other things, but that's just what I can see on the shelves from here right now. I'll be watching this thread with interest, too.

For science I think nature studies could mesh well. Nature journals and herbariums are beautiful and academic.

Private Eye: the main book shows how to bring in lots of subjects http://www.theprivateeyestore.com/servlet/the-3/Private-Eye-Teacher-Guide/Detail)

Pictures in Cursive

Origami books

I bought the big Winter Promise timelines years ago and we're having fun filling them up in a hodge podge kind of way. I like to buy the art stickers and postcards over at Dover and have the kids add their favorites into the timelines. This year we're doing Modern History so I made sure to buy World War posters (in sticker/postcard sizes) and other similar themes: http://search.doverpublications.com/search?keywords=art+stickers

I've also found old college art books and had the kids cut out art they liked to add in.

:lurk5:

This may be something you would like: http://www.artiosacademies.com/

I don't know anything about the homeschool curriculum personally but I someone whose children go to the program on campus and she has nothing but good things to say about it.

This looks interesting.  Wish there were some samples we could look at...anyone else used this?

This looks interesting.  Wish there were some samples we could look at...anyone else used this?

I found the sample page for the elementary level, the middle school level, and the high school level of the Medieval to Renaissance curriculum.

ETA: the Reformations and Revolutions curriculum has quite a few sample units, as well.

Edited again...I think the Reformations and Revolutions is the complete curriculum available for download.

Oh, that reminds me, a while back I found some nice lesson plans for folk art from some museums

http://www.folkartmuseum.org/resources

http://www.folkartrevealed.org/lessons (contains > 40)

These two are spectacular!  I have a list of ideas that came to me while I was reading.   

The more resources that are posted the more I think my idea is totally doable.  That makes me really happy. :)

A DVD series by BBC that might be interesting is "How Art Made the World: How Humans Made Art and Art Made Us Human"...

Haven't used it but there is Visual Manna's Teaching English Through Art...I don't know the grade range but I think Cathy Duffy reviewed it a few years back and said it was fun and interesting as a supplement for Language Arts...

The Private Eye curriculum is supposed to incorporate art, too, but I have not used it.http://www.the-private-eye.com/html/materials/MATmenu.html