Menu

Speaking of fruit salad...

trulycrabby

No, my MIL diidn't ask me to bring strawberries and grapes to Christmas dinner...

However, my mom did ask me to bring fruit salad...

I can handle the fruit part, but are there any good, simple dressings to put on top besides poppy seed??? :ack2:   I saw one recipe that used vanilla yogurt, I might use that, but I was hoping for something that wasn't heavily sweet.

:ack2:  <--------btw, this is my favourite smilie, I don't know why... :001_wub: (second favourite smilie)...

Thanks in advance for any help! :)

I've never had a fruit salad with poppy seed dressing in my life (I'm not sure if I've even seen one made that way) but it sounds gross.  Growing up we always had one with a creamy dressing (vanilla pudding and cool whip I think it was).  As a kid I adored it, as I adult I find it a bit too sweet.  My mom loves mixing lemon pudding mix with the juice from the fruit, it's a lighter dressing and not nearly as sweet.  Most people seem to enjoy this but since I don't like lemon I don't eat it this way.  I've also had many fruit salads that are simply the fruits mixed together with no dressing.  Personally if you must have salad, I think this is the way to go.  However, this still isn't my first choice since people always feel the need to add watermelon or cantalope and I don't like those and they tend to flavor the other fruits. So my personal favorite way of serving fruit is individual piles on plate so everyone can pick out their favorites without everything tasting like melon.

Well, I thought since it was Christmas the salad could be a little festive...

:seeya: <---- Good one!

I think poppy seed dressing is yukky too, but that's how my mother has always made it. I do have a dish with several different containers, so I could just serve the fruit and the people could pick and choose their own mix. :)

My dad hates lemon pudding, so I might skip it for tomorrow, but my kids would love it. I will have to try it sometime soon.

Well, I thought since it was Christmas the salad could be a little festive...

To make it festive I make a rainbow in reverse.  A small clear bowl in the middle with pomagranite seeds, a half circle of clementine slices, pineapple chunks, kiwi slices or green grapes, blueberries if they are somewhat affordable and then an outer layer of blackberries (or black grapes if you didn't use grapes for the green).  Then at the bottom you can have two piles or bowls of whitish fruit dip for clouds at either end of the rainbow.  Festive but no yucky dressing.

To make it festive I make a rainbow in reverse.  A small clear bowl in the middle with pomagranite seeds, a half circle of clementine slices, pineapple chunks, kiwi slices or green grapes, blueberries if they are somewhat affordable and then an outer layer of blackberries (or black grapes if you didn't use grapes for the green).  Then at the bottom you can have two piles or bowls of whitish fruit dip for clouds at either end of the rainbow.  Festive but no yucky dressing.

Oooh, I like this idea!!! :001_wub:

I'd always been a firm believer in never putting anything on fruit until I moved here. Now I am completely hooked on eating it with salt, lime, and chile on it. Everything from mangoes to watermelon to jicama is delicious. The rainbow idea would probably go over better with your group though. :)

Here, fruit salad means cut up fruit (canned and fresh) marinated in pineapple juice overnight, drained, and mixed with a tub of cool whip.  A bowl of cut up fruit would be just that - cut up fruit - with or without anything on the side.

My family has always used whipped cream. I love it with lime juice.

How about a recipe for the lime, salt and chili powder??? Please?

There's really not a recipe. I go to the fruit guy who has 10 different types of chopped up fruit. I tell him what I want and he layers all the fruit in a container and tops it with rock salt, squeezes in two limes, and adds as much chili sauce as I want. When I buy whole fruit to cut and eat at home, I just use lime and a little table salt and chili powder. It'a amazing what it does to the fruit.