Menu

If you bought used Playmobil toys on eBay...

ILiveInFlipFlops

…would you worry about sanitizing them somehow before giving them to your child? I bought DD8 a ton (seriously, I think it all may weigh a ton) of ancient Egypt Playmobil sets and accessories from eBay, and I'm wondering if I should bother with this. I was thinking of filling the bath with a mild bleach solution and giving them a short soak, but I'm worried about the different parts retaining water in the crevices/joints or any sticker parts being ruined. I'm not a germophobe at all, but there's a little voice in my head that's whispering about any creepy crawlies they might harbor! 

Then again, most germs don't live for long on hard surfaces, right? And I just don't have time right now to wipe down every single piece with a bleachy rag. Plus, I'm not sure bleach residue on everything is any better than potential germs. And our immune systems are pretty strong. 

I don't know. WWYD? 

I buy stuff used at consignment sales. I use wipes like baby wipes and just wipe down each item. I've done this for everything from books, to legos, to game parts. I then take a rag and wipe of any left over juice/liquid. If something is sticky I might scrub harder with an old toothbrush and soap. I take everything part and let it dry. I've never had any issues with germs or anything like that. I have found a few cookie crumbs but only because I unscrewed the screws to a few toys. It's extreme but my DH is allergic to animal hair so I have to be careful and make sure nothing is on the toys. 

Guest submarines

I wouldn't worry about it. It is not worse, but probably better, than toys they play with at children museums and what not.

But you might want to know that most of our playmobil (mostly people)went through a bathtub toy stage, and they didn't get damaged in any way.

When I used to work in daycare, we regularly washed plastic toys in soapy water and then sprayed with a bleach/water mix. Interesting enough, when I worked in a HeadStart program, we had to spray the toys weekly with a commercial disenfectant. We couldn't just use bleach water because it didn't have the proper labeling.

When the kids were small, I bought a bunch of Playmobil from Ebay too. I've also gotten Lego kits. I never thought about sanitizing them. I can see why you did though. I know Legos can be cleaned in a light Bleach bath. If you did soak them, would you wipe dry each one as it comes out of the tub? Otherwise you'd have to dump them on a towel to dry, right?

If they looked very clean I would not, but otherwise I would soak them in the tub, wipe them down, or run them through the dishwasher. Yes, I run plastic toys through the dishwasher in a mesh zippered bag, the kind you use for delicates in the clothes washing machine. Use the top rack. If Legos are looking sticky, grimy, or dusty, it's an easy way to clean them, but any stickers will be lost.

Thanks everyone. I think I'll go through them carefully and see how they look. If they look generally clean, I'm going to pass on it. The main problem is time, but they logistics are difficult too. The kids are with me pretty much 24/7, and when they finally fall asleep, I'm usually collapsing right behind them. I can't see how I'd get them done without being spotted, and since this is a huge surprise for her, I really don't want her to catch me doing it. 

I appreciate the input!

I'd throw them in a lingerie bag in the bath with some soapy water. It seems like the biggest PITA with cleaning them are the tiny, tiny parts. 

Depending on how tired I am, I might consider letting the kids take a bath with them to clean them off. Our Schleich go aquatic every few months for just that reason.